Ayr United v Queen's Park

Well after last night's results going our way and losing a couple on the bounce, it's a chance for us to reclaim second (also dependent on Friday night).  Think we might see a few changes for this one, we really need to see some others chipping in with some goals:

Albinson

Houston Kirk Musonda Reading

Mullin Murdoch Dempsey Chalmers

Akinyemi Young

Subs: McAdams, McAllister, McGinty, Bangala, JML, Smith, O'Connor, Ashford, McKenzie

Hoping for a big reaction and a return to our best defence.  Going for an optimistic 3-1 win, Akinyemi, Young and Mullin.

• callum-ayr changed the title to Ayr United v Queen's Park
19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Well after last night's results going our way and losing a couple on the bounce, it's a chance for us to reclaim second (also dependent on Friday night).  Think we might see a few changes for this one, we really need to see some others chipping in with some goals:

Albinson

Akinyemi Young

Subs: McAdams, McAllister, McGinty, Bangala, JML, Smith, O'Connor, Ashford, McKenzie

Hoping for a big reaction and a return to our best defence.  Going for an optimistic 3-1 win, Akinyemi, Young and Mullin.

Obviously an easy win for Ayr.

We didn’t know what to do with Ayr in the second half at Ochilview. If they are brave enough to press us on the ball and get in our faces, and whip balls into our box, that’s when we start to look rattled. Akinyemi against our fragile defence is certainly a big concern.

If we get the foot on the ball and are allowed to dictate the play, we can beat anyone in this league. We need to be braver than we were last night and get it moving quickly and also show Ayr that we’re not soft touches. We need to get more involved in combat when other teams bring that to the table.

As for the outcome, you’re as well just hooking up to a random number generator and seeing what it comes up with.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Albinson

Akinyemi Young

You might be right team wise - Bullen specifically mentioned the defending and also the 2 big chances missed in his post match interview from Saturday so those changes would make sense!

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Albinson

Akinyemi Young

I'd also like to see that starting XI. Kirk has to come back in. We have been a lot better with him in the defence.                                                              

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'd also like to see that starting XI. Kirk has to come back in. We have been a lot better with him in the defence.                                                              

Yeah, its 100% our best defence.  Bullen has spoken about being clinical and unfortunately McKenzie and Ashford are the biggest culprits when it comes to that in the forward areas, wouldn't quite add O'Connor into that equation yet as he's supplying more than getting in shooting positions.

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Yeah, its 100% our best defence.  Bullen has spoken about being clinical and unfortunately McKenzie and Ashford are the biggest culprits when it comes to that in the forward areas, wouldn't quite add O'Connor into that equation yet as he's supplying more than getting in shooting positions.

I like the look of that midfield as well, plus the bench looks pretty good. Plenty of options to bring on to run at a tired defence.

It's certainly an interesting one- QP seem like a team we should be able to create plenty chances against, but on the other hand they definitely have enough quality at the other end to seriously punish us if we continue with the moments of slackness at the back ourselves.   Can see it being quite a high scoring one.  

Would agree with @callum-ayr team. I don’t think McGinty is nearly as bad as some fans make him out to be however i feel a lot more comfortable with Kirk and Musonda. Hopefully Kirk is fully fit.

Ashford and McKenzie’s work rate are both excellent but neither are clinical enough. I’ve liked the look of Young so far. Thought Chalmers was decent when he came on vs ICT on Saturday and with a full weeks training he can surely only have improved.

A win would be massive for us here and would go someway to proving our early league form wasn’t just a purple patch.  I Had a bit of the fear about it however QP had a really poor result against a dreadful Morton team last night. 

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Would agree with @callum-ayr team. I don’t think McGinty is nearly as bad as some fans make him out to be however i feel a lot more comfortable with Kirk and Musonda. Hopefully Kirk is fully fit.

Ashford and McKenzie’s work rate are both excellent but neither are clinical enough. I’ve liked the look of Young so far. Thought Chalmers was decent when he came on vs ICT on Saturday and with a full weeks training he can surely only have improved.

A win would be massive for us here and would go someway to proving our early league form wasn’t just a purple patch.  I Had a bit of the fear about it however QP had a really poor result against a dreadful Morton team last night. 

It's a strange Ayr team in that for the first time in a good few years there isn't anybody in it that I don't like, and yet I'm still not particularly confident going into any games 🤣.  The 3 highlighted are probably the easiest to criticise and definitely the 3 I'd replace in the starting XI for Saturday, yet I like them all.

We really need to win this one.  5 weeks since Dipo scored or we won a game, obviously suffered from blank weeks outwith our control but definitely feels like we need to get back on track. 

I'm heading over to this one as usual from Edinburgh, but for once the Mrs is away on a girlie weekend so will driving on my Tod Sloan.

Anybody else heading through from Auld Reekie that fancies a lift and sharing the fuel cost? I'm doing around 46 mpg of diesel so around £30 round trip in total so split 50/50.

Would be heading off around 12:45 from Colinton area - a bit early as Rangers at home with a 15:00 k/o too. Either trawl through the M8/M73/M73/M8/M77 or could go A70 all the way, slower road but shorter, you keep moving and avoid all the traffic.

Any taker(s) PM me.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

On 05/10/2022 at 10:42, callum-ayr said:

Albinson

Akinyemi Young

Agree with this team but i just can't imagine Bullen dropping McGinty, Ashford and McKenzie...

17 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I don’t care how well we play on Saturday, or how many chances we have, just as long as we get the 3 points.

Funnily enough, that's how I feel about it. Although if we play like we did on Tuesday then we'll definitely get pumped. 

We haven’t really had a doing this year in the league, where we have conceded a lot of possession and been clinging on, that is largely down to the midfield pair of Dempsey and Murdoch.

We still give away one cheap opportunity a game so we need to be on it pretty much from the start, I’d play Chalmers and Ashford out wide with Akinyemi and McKenzie through the middle, McKenzie was pish out wide again on Saturday so if they are going to play one up front then McKenzie can’t start and I would go for JML.

It should be a good game on Saturday, hard to predict but Ayr need to pick up points after a bad performance against Raith, a defeat of almost a second string team at Morton and then losing after a decent performance against Inverness. We don’t want to get in to the habit of losing again. 

I feel for McKenzie he's playing well but not scoring, Ashford however is trying hard but last week was extremely poor and has to be dropped considering what other options we have, can't possibly be signing guys on loan from Dundee United and Aston Villa to continually play Ashford no matter how much he tries. 

The league seems to be showing us yet again that everyone is capable of beating each other and that anyone that goes in a run, whether good or bad, will either climb or plummet.

At this level too, a lack of consistency IS the consistency.

Bullen has gone on about utilising the full squad this season so we might well see a changed team again.

Would hate to see us start to fall into the pre-season pattern of lots of movement, plenty of chances, and no points.

12 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

What's the drainage like at Somerset Park? Glasgow is awash.

Been a lot of rain here too but the San Somerset pitch should be absolutely fine I think. May get a bit torn up by the end of the game depending how much more rain there is tomorrow and Saturday.