Raith of the Rovers v Cove Rangers

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I was thinking playing Nolan is important to us, but the way Dick and O’Riordan looked today…I just would like to see them against a team like Ayr or Partick with Ngwenya and Millen wide. If they do well, keep that, use Nolan to fill as necessary and do whatever you need to do to extend O’Riordan’s loan!

Frederiksen looks to have the skills necessary to drive forward, draw defenders and open options for our other attackers. He didn’t have much time, but looks to have the necessary skills and footwork, and perhaps a nose for the ball.

Liam Dick was excellent today. He is actually a very serviceable centre half, wins so many headers for someone who isn’t physically that big or strong. First of me seeing Ngwenya as well - quite impressed. Still a bit raw but has the potential to be that marauding kind of full back if he can improve in a few areas. 

Leaves Murray with headaches all over the park for the next game, with more bodies still to come back. Feeling positive. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Christ the big man defends those crosses in the box well!!
I can't remember seing anyone mark him at corners. I do mean the corners we where defending. He clearly needs marked if anyone is to score against us, with him defending them. He's almost mark Campbell like with them.

Horrendous mistake by the defender for the first. Looked like Gullan was close to being offside but nice finish from Connolly. 

Cracking strike by Gullan and then Stanton getting the goal he deserved. 

Not sure how it will turn out with Frederiksen but it's not going to be dull that's for certain. 

I’ll be honest, where have this team been hiding. All across the board they played as a team, even Millen. That’s the kind of football we want: a thoroughly deserved victory. Big John got some amazing cheers. What an asset he’ll be. I was so hoping he wouldn’t be a flop. But first game nerves soon disappeared. Bring it on. 

9 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The first highlight of the second half just summed up Ethan Ross' game and his season so far. Need much more from him. 

Unsure who got the ball through to Stanton for the 3rd goal, but if it was Gullan then he scored one and assisted two yesterday. Not a bad performance 

Rovers fully deserving of all 3 points after an impressive and dominant first half display. 

Sanders failing to control the ball on the edge of the box early on startled us and set the tone for the rest of the game. After Gullan's superb free kick into the top bin on 27 minutes it was effectively game over. We looked severely jaded after an arduous mid-week game where we gave it our all.

Rovers had the freedom of the wings and Ross, Ngwenya and Connolly gave good supply that on another day would have resulted in more goals.

What frustrated the me certainly was no creativity, no attempts on goal or change of formation or tactics before it was far too late.

1 point from 5 away league games. Onto Caley next week.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just seen the highlights. Ngwenya is far more mobile than any of the other defenders and seemed to pop up in the box a fair bit, Dick will be first choice but it's definetly an option we need to employ more and I can see why Murray tried him on the wing against Dundee.

There's a point where Cove break down the left and Oriordan has to sprint over to cover it Connolly then appears and eventually Millen. I just don't think those 2 have a good understanding at all which is a shame because Millen has put in good crosses and looks a bit more attacking in his play. 

What has happened to Ethan Ross the boy is seriously out of sorts. 

Equally what has happened to Sam Stanton he looks like a new player. Caused Cove problems and was allowed so much freedom in the middle. 

It's a bad mistake for the first goal there but just shows how hungry rovers looked that it was pounced on and to me Gullan has taken a heavy touch and connolly has nicked the ball from him for the goal. 

That free kick is as good as any you will see this weekend absolute screamer. 

5 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

The first highlight of the second half just summed up Ethan Ross' game and his season so far. Need much more from him. 

Unsure who got the ball through to Stanton for the 3rd goal, but if it was Gullan then he scored one and assisted two yesterday. Not a bad performance 

Looked to be O’Riordan…who also started the whole move with a nice pass.

Nice of Jim McIntyre to acknowledge that we were "better to a man" on Saturday. He rejected the excuses offered by his interviewer and even suggested that Cove's 15 minute spell of pressure was maybe us "taking the foot off the gas". He's gone up in my estimation.

PS - apparently Rovers admitted that Cove should have had a penalty.

As strong a performance as I’ve seen all season. Solid at the back and great movement and pace going forward. Great free kick from Gullan and totally comfortable win. Been a while since a new signing created such a buzz of anticipation in the support and Big John looks to be an asset defensively as well as in attack, but time will tell. Keep this form going and you never know we could trouble the play offs up the way. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

For what? Megginson 100% dived and I can't remember any other shout for a penalty in the game.

First half, he said he spun Dick who latter told Mitch he got off with one as he took his legs from beneath him.

All mute point. Didn't get awarded it and I know goals change games but we deserved nothing and were well beaten.