Raith of the Rovers v Cove Rangers

Ngwenya impressed today, in fact, the entire rearguard played well against a team who had been getting some results. 

Megginson woeful for his booking and maybe lucky to stay on, although I didn't see what happened between him and Millen when the latter went down.

It's never going to be that good with Big John again. The "warm up", the anticipation of his debut, the near own goal with 1st touch, the pleading to take the long throw and at the death, almost a dream goal. A folk hero is among us.

We'll be sick of him by Xmas.

That was actually very enjoyable. Sam Stanton put in one of the most complete central midfield performances for many a year, absolute outstanding - 10/10. Frederiksen, after almost scoring an own goal with his literal first touch of the ball in Rovers colours, did fine. Should have scored with his chance but had to rush it and the ball wouldn’t come down quick enough. It’s a long way from his middle to his bottom so I happy to let it slide. What he will do, if occupy defenders and let our other players get more time and space - and this is exactly what we have been lacking. Keen to see how he gets on. I loved him taking the ball off Millen for the throw in, then demanding everyone else got in the box before launching it 40 yards. 

Better from Connolly today, good to see him in form again. Super strike from Gullan with the free kick. Ian murray spoke pre-match about how Gullan was an excellent striker of the ball; how he never sclaffs it and that was a great example. Such a clean hit. 

Great to get the win. Few big games coming up now. 

Didn't think we ever looked like conceding never mind losing today. Defence coped well with everything that was thrown at them, which wasn't alot in all honesty. Midfield dominated and stanton just goes from strength to strength and what a difference Spencer makes. Great strike from gullan for his goal, it looked like he was struggling a little before ht but obviously managed to run it off after the break. Hopefully Spencer was taken off as a precaution rather than it being too serious. Frederiksen looks like he will be a useful addition defensively as well as attacking. I think everyone was a little confused when he went over to take the throw in. The only problem with it was he wasn't in the box to win the header. He really should have buried his one on one which was a great pass by Connolly? He showed enough to suggest he isn't just a big target man though. Win our game in hand and we're potentially sitting 5th, looking up rather than down again.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Didn't think we ever looked like conceding never mind losing today. Defence coped well with everything that was thrown at them, which wasn't alot in all honesty. Midfield dominated and stanton just goes from strength to strength and what a difference Spencer makes. Great strike from gullan for his goal, it looked like he was struggling a little before ht but obviously managed to run it off after the break. Hopefully Spencer was taken off as a precaution rather than it being too serious. Frederiksen looks like he will be a useful addition defensively as well as attacking. I think everyone was a little confused when he went over to take the throw in. The only problem with it was he wasn't in the box to win the header. He really should have buried his one on one which was a great pass by Connolly? He showed enough to suggest he isn't just a big target man though. Win our game in hand and we're potentially sitting 5th, looking up rather than down again.

Stanton with the pass, one of many superbly weighted passes, for the Frederiksen chance. 

15 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yea, Stanton easily MotM for me. O'Riordan steady and dependable as usual. I thought Millen was playing well too until these two daft short passes to  MacDonald with a Cove forward feet away 🥴

I thought Longstaff looked good for them when he got on the ball.

Didn't mind that at all, neither at an awkward height for the keeper. First was down to a bounce that hit off him and he had nothing else to do, second, it was that or concede a corner, with MacDonald there was more chance of it going out higher up the pitch. 

MacDonalds distribution was below par today, really would like to see us go back to a build up from the back instead of horsing it long to no one in particular. 

Didn't mind that at all, neither at an awkward height for the keeper. First was down to a bounce that hit off him and he had nothing else to do, second, it was that or concede a corner, with MacDonald there was more chance of it going out higher up the pitch. 
MacDonalds distribution was below par today, really would like to see us go back to a build up from the back instead of horsing it long to no one in particular. 
Macdonald was right to be annoyed with the second one. The striker was bearing down on him and it really should have just been hooked out for a throw. He put unnecessary pressure on macdonald who wasn't expecting the pass. Millen's crossing today, especially in the first half was spot on. He just seemed to switch off a little in the last 5 minutes with that.

I’ve not been to many games this season but certainly been a stand out in the games i’ve seen including last Saturday.
I'm wondering if he needed a proper pre season having been playing in Ireland last year. I can't remember exactly when their season ends but I don't think he will have had much of a break before signing for us. Plus he's not being used as deep now which obviously suits his game far better.

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Near total dominance, certainly as far as proper chances go. I'm maybe forgetting something, but that feels like our best half of the season (setting aside that daft Peterhead game), by a bit of a margin. 

We've still not been entirely fluid, but you can add three or four really good chances to the goals. 

Totally agree if we went in 4 up at halftime cove couldn’t have complained and apart from a sticky 15 mins after halftime in complete control, really enjoyed that today 

Watched that with a permanent smile on my face today and laughed like hell (nervously) when Frederiksen's first touch narrowly cleared our bar.

Great hit from Gullan, more power than placement but some goal nonetheless. Stanton just brilliant.

Millen looked like the RB we need today with some timely interventions and a couple of excellent crosses. Interested to see what happened with Megginson.

Really enjoyed that today. It was an excellent performance and to cap it all off I heard a Rovers player shout ‘it’s going back to the shy-er’ at a throw in. Hadn’t heard it called a shy for years never mind shy-er’. Talk about icing on the cake!

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Better from Connolly today, good to see him in form again. Super strike from Gullan with the free kick. Ian murray spoke pre-match about how Gullan was an excellent striker of the ball; how he never sclaffs it and that was a great example. Such a clean hit. 

Great to get the win. Few big games coming up now. 

Guy a row behind me with an English accent "It's going top right corner", he was annoying the f**k out of me at times but he was spot on with that one 🤣

Watched that with a permanent smile on my face today and laughed like hell (nervously) when Frederiksen's first touch narrowly cleared our bar.
Great hit from Gullan, more power than placement but some goal nonetheless. Stanton just brilliant.
Millen looked like the RB we need today with some timely interventions and a couple of excellent crosses. Interested to see what happened with Megginson.
A bit of mouthing off between the two and megginson basically turned his body and thrusted it towards millen who made a meal of it. Probably a booking for mitch if the ref seen it.
I was convinced that MacDonald was going to walk after that 'trip' in the box. I was thought he caught Megginson but my mate next to me said it was a dive.
Macdonald kept his hand away from megginson. The ref was thankfully in line with him, as I was. Blatent dive which had he been booked for the millen incident, would have seen him off.

Canny believe O Riordan is 18 year old strolled todays game and created the 3rd with his attacking run through the centre mid, Stanton unbelievable today ! Really think now since Brad’s back Stanton can play a more attacking role also thought Brown looked to fade in the 2nd half but it’s great we now have options on the bench ie Mathews to slot in , Thought Millen had his best game in a Rovers jersey canny believe I’m writing that , Think fredriksen hit his shot to well but still a good save by the keeper I actually think his height won’t be his biggest asset he actually looks decent with the ball at his feet for a big lad would love for him to kick on but I’ll reserve judgement until I see him a few more times 

Edited by basher brash

Brown was on a booking so stopped charging about as much once the third went in. I thought he would have been off for Matthews once he had made a a foul around the 52ndish minute. O'riordan definitely has a good career ahead of him in football.

I was thinking playing Nolan is important to us, but the way Dick and O’Riordan looked today…I just would like to see them against a team like Ayr or Partick with Ngwenya and Millen wide. If they do well, keep that, use Nolan to fill as necessary and do whatever you need to do to extend O’Riordan’s loan!

Frederiksen looks to have the skills necessary to drive forward, draw defenders and open options for our other attackers. He didn’t have much time, but looks to have the necessary skills and footwork, and perhaps a nose for the ball.