St Johnstone v Celtic

1 hour ago, Radford said:

We had the better of Celtic in our first decade at McDiarmid, six wins to their four in the league. That despite Hugh Dallas routinely trying his best to help them out.

Remember two Dallas games in particular: the 1999 fixture when he awarded a last-minute goal to Celtic because he felt like it and the 1997 game (albeit in the League Cup) that was turned on its head when John O'Neil was sent off in extra time for kicking a player he was evidently nowhere near.

Edited by Mr Heliums

33 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Remember two Dallas games in particular: the 1999 fixture when he awarded a last-minute goal to Celtic because he felt like it and the 1997 game (albeit in the League Cup) that was turned on its head when John O'Neil was sent off in extra time for kicking a player he was evidently nowhere near.

‘He felt like it’ despite being the linesman saying it was a goal as the link you have used says? Some outlandish claims about Brother Hugh today. 
What is undeniable is that was sacked by the SFA for sending sectarian emails, he  also told a referee as well  to lie to go against a Celtic complaint. Then was seen partying in Seville with his fellow orcs at the cup final. 

Edited by gannonball

57 minutes ago, gannonball said:

‘He felt like it’ despite being the linesman saying it was a goal as the link you have used says? Some outlandish claims about Brother Hugh today. 
What is undeniable is that was sacked by the SFA for sending sectarian emails, he  also told a referee as well  to lie to go against a Celtic complaint. Then was seen partying in Seville with his fellow orcs at the cup final. 

I wasn't talking about his views, sectarian or otherwise. I was simply citing two examples of a series of memorably awful refereeing at critical times that favoured Celtic. It certainly gave the understandable impression – at least to St Johnstone fans – of a pattern. But I shouldn't ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence: he was by some distance the worst referee I can remember.

Edited by Mr Heliums

I started the week a week bit optimistic for this, but then I watched our midweek performance at Kilmarnock, which I didn’t see coming, and now don’t have a clue what to expect from us.

Celtic haven’t been in top form recently either but you’ve got to expect it’ll click back into place for them sometime soon.  A couple of breaks for us like their og v Motherwell or Hart’s pass straight to a striker would be more than welcome.

We could be doing with a few midfield options getting back to fitness; Davidson, Wotherspoon, MacPherson, Phillips and Carey all being out is a hell of chunk out of our squad, as you’d expect just about all of them would be starting or on the bench if fit.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I started the week a week bit optimistic for this, but then I watched our midweek performance at Kilmarnock, which I didn’t see coming, and now don’t have a clue what to expect from us.

Celtic haven’t been in top form recently either but you’ve got to expect it’ll click back into place for them sometime soon.  A couple of breaks for us like their og v Motherwell or Hart’s pass straight to a striker would be more than welcome.

We could be doing with a few midfield options getting back to fitness; Davidson, Wotherspoon, MacPherson, Phillips and Carey all being out is a hell of chunk out of our squad, as you’d expect just about all of them would be starting or on the bench if fit.

When you look at that list of injuries, before you start even throwing in kane , gallagher, booth and now adding montgomery and mclennan in to the mix the manager really has had awful, awful luck on the injury front. 

we might have a squad of 30 but it seems at least 6-10 are always injured at the same time

Edited by John Bonham

1 minute ago, John Bonham said:

When you look at that list of injuries, before you start even throwing in kane , gallagher, booth etc the manager really has had awful, awful luck on the injury front. 

He has. I was very critical of his midfield in midweek, and would still argue dropping Murphy for Crawford was wrong, but there’s not a huge amount of options right now in fairness.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He has. I was very critical of his midfield in midweek, and would still argue dropping Murphy for Crawford was wrong, but there’s not a huge amount of options right now in fairness.

I think Max deserves an opportunity. The kind of energy he brings could be really important tomorrow. 

Gallagher likely to start. 

It's one of those games. If Saints play like midweek and struggle as much as we did in possession we could be on the end of a United type result as Celtic will without doubt press a level above what Killie did. We really simply cant gift Celtic possession in our own third like we did during the week. Must also "clear our lines" better as well. 

If they do those basics better, switch on to Celtics quick set pieces etc and show a bit of bravery when we do get possession in the attacking half I can't ask much more than that. Just don't make it easy!

Davidson without doubt will play his favourite shape. I'd like to see him stick with the front 2 but a standard 3 in the midfield otherwise again I think we'll be overrun in that area, especially if Celtic move it quickly if we only have a midfield two of the likes of Halberg & McGowan. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Sorry not having that Davidson has been unlucky with injuries. He’s the one who signed perma crock MacPherson, has relied on injury prone older players like Booth and Davidson during his whole time here, and tried to build his team this season around a core of decent, but ageing and inevitably injury prone pros like Murphy, Carey, McGowan, Consi etc. He’s unfortunate with the long term injuries to Kane and Wotherspoon, and to an extent that Tony Gallagher got injured as soon as he arrived, but we’ve known about all of these things for ages.

Past few results and having our two most important players out for this one has me fearing a bit for this one. Think our back up centre backs need to step up higher for this now that their comfort blanket has been taken away and play like we have been with a higher line.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Past few results and having our two most important players out for this one has me fearing a bit for this one. Think our back up centre backs need to step up higher for this now that their comfort blanket has been taken away and play like we have been with a higher line.

You have a choice of 4 International players to come in for McGregor in Abildgaard, McCarthy, Mooy (if fit) and Ideguchi. I think you’ll be fine.

8 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You have a choice of 4 International players to come in for McGregor in Abildgaard, McCarthy, Mooy (if fit) and Ideguchi. I think you’ll be fine.

None of these players are really match fit apart from Mooy who is still struggling. It’s lazy to just think you can throw a player in cold and think he’s going to be an able deputy for our best player just because they have been capped.  Their experience and ability can carry them somewhat at this level but usually it takes a while to get up to speed of the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

None of these players are really match fit apart from Mooy who is still struggling. It’s lazy to just think you can throw a player in cold and think he’s going to be an able deputy for our best player just because they have been capped.  Their experience and ability can carry them somewhat at this level but usually it takes a while to get up to speed of the rest of the team.

Ange has had the budget to build a bigger, better and more expensive squad than any other club in Scotland - and by some distance. You also have Scott Robertson in your 1st team squad who’ll be chomping at the bit for an opportunity. That’s 5 players who can deputise for McGregor.

Nobody even knows how long McGregor is out for yet. Like I said previously, you’ve the squad to absorb McGregor’s injury and will be fine.

27 minutes ago, bennett said:

Poor wee celtic struggling to replace one player from their tiny squad.

I don’t think it’s true at all. I think some of the posters are obviously aware of the big names in the squad such as CCV and McGregor however don’t appreciate they’ve such a wealth of talent within the squad.

On another note, sad news about Frank McGarvey. Fight it all the way Frank - best wishes to him.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Ange has had the budget to build a bigger, better and more expensive squad than any other club in Scotland - and by some distance. You also have Scott Robertson in your 1st team squad who’ll be chomping at the bit for an opportunity. That’s 5 players who can deputise for McGregor.

Nobody even knows how long McGregor is out for yet. Like I said previously, you’ve the squad to absorb McGregor’s injury and will be fine.

Where as we are playing 2 players out of position in place of our injured central midfielders.

Levels.