Stirling Albion vs Dumbarton

11 hours ago, virginton said:

How many Dumbarton fans seriously set returning to League One "at the first time of asking" as their anything else is failure objective for the season back in July? On what basis should Dumbarton FC expect to achieve this? This is just ludicrous revisionism. 

You might have many justified reasons for hating your manager, but failing to romp back up to your 'rightful' level like Juventus slumming it in Serie B is a fucking laughable basis to do so. 

So what should we set our sights at?Staying up season after season  when we have the trapdoor below us?Berwick, shire, cowden and brechin all have gone down and i dont want to join them.

I think given our budget the manager has assembled a good first team squad and promotion should be our ambition.If not what is the alternative?This year L2 is anyone's for the taking.We have a very good chance of going up and that has to be our goal.Yes anything else cannot be seen as success.

5 years ago in the Championship survival was definitely the goal but we are very far from those halcyon days.

32 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

So what should we set our sights at?Staying up season after season  when we have the trapdoor below us?Berwick, shire, cowden and brechin all have gone down and i dont want to join them.

I think given our budget the manager has assembled a good first team squad and promotion should be our ambition.If not what is the alternative?This year L2 is anyone's for the taking.We have a very good chance of going up and that has to be our goal.Yes anything else cannot be seen as success.

5 years ago in the Championship survival was definitely the goal but we are very far from those halcyon days.

Correct. The only sure way back up is to finish 1st.  With no moneybags teams making a mockery of the fair play rules to compete against, that's what you should be aiming at. The playoffs are a fall back target, not the primary target.  Nobody can afford to be complacent about getting up away from the cheerio SPFL status division. Aim high or die, it's as simple as that.

I don't remember any Dumbarton fans claiming going straight back up as a right. Just a target, the same as the rest of us. One game at a time all the way.

5 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Correct. The only sure way back up is to finish 1st.  With no moneybags teams making a mockery of the fair play rules to compete against, that's what you should be aiming at. The playoffs are a fall back target, not the primary target.  Nobody can afford to be complacent about getting up away from the cheerio SPFL status division. Aim high or die, it's as simple as that.

I don't remember any Dumbarton fans claiming going straight back up as a right. Just a target, the same as the rest of us. One game at a time all the way.

Stirling are a team that i had the fear for as once upon a time you were the best part time team in scotland....when Allan Moore was manager maybe?

Were a really good team before disappearing down to the 4th tier.Fair play youve survived and obviously have a really good chance this season.Maybe like us strength in depth is an issue.But for most teams in this league promotion has to be the target.

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Stirling are a team that i had the fear for as once upon a time you were the best part time team in scotland....when Allan Moore was manager maybe?

Were a really good team before disappearing down to the 4th tier.Fair play youve survived and obviously have a really good chance this season.Maybe like us strength in depth is an issue.But for most teams in this league promotion has to be the target.

That was when Kevin Drinkell was manager and we were full time. Unfortunately that got us into debt and the slide down progressed from that.  Punching above your financial weight is great while it lasts, but it can kill you.

Any team not aiming to be up out of the squeaky bum league has a death wish.  Dumbarton are still in the driver's seat and it's still all in your own hands.  There's nothing taboo about wanting to keep it that way. 

We're maybe a bit light on depth, but so is just about everybody. It's been the story of the transfer window.  At least we're not as light on defenders as we we're last season.  Christ, talk about crash and burn.  Seen it, done it bought the T shirt mate.

3 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

That was when Kevin Drinkell was manager and we were full time. Unfortunately that got us into debt and the slide down progressed from that.  Punching above your financial weight is great while it lasts, but it can kill you.

Any team not aiming to be up out of the squeaky bum league has a death wish.  Dumbarton are still in the driver's seat and it's still all in your own hands.  There's nothing taboo about wanting to keep it that way. 

We're maybe a bit light on depth, but so is just about everybody. It's been the story of the transfer window.  At least we're not as light on defenders as we we're last season.  Christ, talk about crash and burn.  Seen it, done it bought the T shirt mate.

PS. Allan Moore and Johnny Brogan also played a part in keeping us well up. Much of that rosy period has to be attributed to late owner and chairman Peter McKenzie. A pity it all ended in debt and a tumble, but he's still remembered fondly.  Ambition yes, but not the Gretna model.

11 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

PS. Allan Moore and Johnny Brogan also played a part in keeping us well up. Much of that rosy period has to be attributed to late owner and chairman Peter McKenzie. A pity it all ended in debt and a tumble, but he's still remembered fondly.  Ambition yes, but not the Gretna model.

That was the time I remember when you stayed up in the then 1st division which was almost unheard of for a PT club.Think Arbroath managed it back then too albeit for 1 season.2001/2 season maybe?

18 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

In over 30 years of watching the Albion, regularly and irregularly, the Drinkell team that won the second division in 95/96 is the finest Stirling Albion team ive seen, an absolute joy to watch that year the likes of McCormack, Bone, Taggart and co absolutely tearing the league up. 

The team of John Brogan's stewardship that got to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup in 1990, missed out on promotion by and point and scooshed the league the following year is a close second mind you, Lloyd, Reid, Moore and co, fantastic side that. 

In the 20 odd years since the teams have been a mixture of good and terrible, more terrible than good sadly but things looking up this season. 

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

In over 30 years of watching the Albion, regularly and irregularly, the Drinkell team that won the second division in 95/96 is the finest Stirling Albion team ive seen, an absolute joy to watch that year the likes of McCormack, Bone, Taggart and co absolutely tearing the league up. 

The team of John Brogan's stewardship that got to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup in 1990, missed out on promotion by and point and scooshed the league the following year is a close second mind you, Lloyd, Reid, Moore and co, fantastic side that. 

In the 20 odd years since the teams have been a mixture of good and terrible, more terrible than good sadly but things looking up this season. 

Moore and Brogan deserve extra credit for doing it with part time football too. Ah memories eh. if only mine still worked full time.

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

That was the time I remember when you stayed up in the then 1st division which was almost unheard of for a PT club.Think Arbroath managed it back then too albeit for 1 season.2001/2 season maybe?

I can't remember on Arbroath. I can distinctly remember the Shire being a league above us for a while yonks ago. They had some upstart called Alex Ferguson for a manager at the time. 

13 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Well you could try asking their hoped for replacement Craig Levine for a denial and see how that goes. You could also ask John Colquhoun and Brian Grant the hoped for new directors.  Failing that you could ask Jim Thompson or Neil Emslie for a denial.  For some strange reason I wasn't invited to any of the discussions, but you claimed to be all informed about the big plan, so why are you asking for evidence of something you already know is true?

So no evidence, quotes or anything to back up your claim that the Trust Board (tossers or otherwise) wanted rid of Darren Young. What a joke you are. Just make shite up and post it without engaging your brain.

Are you seriously suggesting the Trust Board were speaking to Craig Levine?

2 hours ago, Hugh G Heid said:

So no evidence, quotes or anything to back up your claim that the Trust Board (tossers or otherwise) wanted rid of Darren Young. What a joke you are. Just make shite up and post it without engaging your brain.

He is, and they were. 

*Levein

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

We finished 7th in the 1st Division in 96/97, but as has been said we were full time then.  In the 2nd half of the season we were superb, 2nd only to runaway leaders St Johnstone, and in the end finished miles clear of relegated East Fife and Clydebank.

We haven't survived in the 1st Division / Championship as a part time club since then.

54 minutes ago, Gnash said:

We finished 7th in the 1st Division in 96/97, but as has been said we were full time then.  In the 2nd half of the season we were superb, 2nd only to runaway leaders St Johnstone, and in the end finished miles clear of relegated East Fife and Clydebank.

We haven't survived in the 1st Division / Championship as a part time club since then.

Did you guys go back down in one season last time? Would have been Division One circa 05 or thereabouts?

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Did you guys go back down in one season last time? Would have been Division One circa 05 or thereabouts?

Promoted to what is now the championship under Allan Moore in 06/07 and in 09/10 but came straight back down each time. 

4 hours ago, Hugh G Heid said:

Well let's see, is there anything in writing.  No because the plan went tit's up and nobody signed up. 

Did I have people's  phones tapped or bugged? No!

Did I hack into Email accounts? No!

Have I got direct quotes from any trust board member? No!

It may even be possible that not all of them knew what was in the works. That wouldn't be anything new for Councillor Machiavelli.  

Levine was contacted by someone else in the works, who blabbed.  Now that is a joke, because while hunting directors is a sensible course when in the process of ousting the entire board, lining up a replacement manager with neither the remit or authority from anyone to do it, is outrageous. 

That happened, end of.  

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Didnt know that either.Apparently nearly bankrupted them according to a post above.

Pretty much. Built up a lot of debt from going full time, had to revert to part time again. Did Ok for a bit under Allan Moore, then he left and things just kept going downhill. The chairman was ailing and had to sell up and we went fans owned with debt.  Debt free now thank God.

Have to say credit to Stirling for putting this short video of the goals. Also means I don't have to endure the full length highlights when they're out. 

Some truly pathetic defending and Long makes a complete arse out of one as well. Fair play to Stirling though, found a way to hurt us... repeatedly