Stirling Albion vs Dumbarton

That was, as you could gather from the scoreline, absolutely dreadful.

It was like we'd forgotten everything that we've done well this season. And everything that we've been concerned about was amplified.

That's not to take anything away from Stirling Albion. They were absolutely dominant. They won every challenge, every high ball, their goalkeeper didn't have a single save of note to make and their forward players caused us all sorts of issues. They looked to be having fun for the last half an hour or so too, and you got the feeling that - if they really fancied it - they could've had as many as they wanted.

I don't even know where to begin with us. Or if it's even worth dissecting. Because it was just so bad. Four goals lost from corners. Four! A couple of free headers and then a couple where we gave an Albion player time and space to sclaff an effort in. It was horrific.

Defensively we were all over the shop from the first minute. The full-backs were torn to shreds, Gregor Buchanan (who has been excellent for the most part this season) was giving me flashbacks to last season, and God knows what was up with Carsy. He was all over the place, and lucky not to be sent off for an early handball after making an arse of dealing with a high ball forward.

I'm a huge fan of Ryan Blair, but he barely completed a pass today, barely picked up a second ball and was about a second late to every challenge. Finlay Gray got about, but to no real effect and Ryan Wallace - a few cute touches aside - wanted far too long on the ball and was fairly easily dealt with.

Out wide, Michael Garrity started really brightly but you could see the confidence drain out of him after the third goal. Not that I'd have hooked him at half-time mind you. On the other side Ross MacLean looks well off the pace after his injury. He went on a brilliant run in the first-half, and probably had our best effort in the second-half (which went wide) but that aside he was really poor.

Declan Byrne had absolutely nothing to work with whatsoever. Which is a shame, because when he gets a chance he's usually pretty decent at taking it. But he spent a half chasing aimless balls into the channels, and was then hooked for John Gemmell. Who spent 45 minutes having balls blasted at him. I didn't envy either guy today.

There's obviously not a chance Faz leaves at the moment. We've lost twice in 10 games, we're still top of the league and our start to the season has been excellent. But today showed that - for all the goodwill built up on the run so far - he's still got a lot of work to do to win over the support. Perhaps in a similar way to Stephen Swift at Stenhousemuir. Like Swift there is also somewhat of a hangover from last season; where fans fear history could repeat itself.

There were a fair few calls for his head, and things could get a bit unpleasant with Albion Rovers and Cumnock our next two games. Matches where fans will expect wins.

Today's over. Thankfully. And it's only three points. What will now be fascinating is A) How much Faz changes next week and B) The response we see from the players. This time next week we could have a good idea of whether or not this is a blip, or something more serious.

Nothing to add to what others have said about the game but to say I thought Stirling were as good as we were bad today. It was Stirling's biggest ever win against us with the previous best being a few four goal wins. Enjoy your night Binos.

Good win even if the margin was unexpected.  I thought Dumbarton's tactics were terrible and lead to their own downfall and I think they're a better team than they showed today.  We've struggled against teams that run at us from midfield but with a couple of exceptions in the first half Dumbarton sat back and gave our midfield lots of possession.  That allowed Moore and Fotheringham in particular to run riot and with Carrick and Thomson in top form at the moment the game turned into a romp.  I thought it might change second half but instead Dumbarton brought on different guys to do the same things.  

We've clearly been practising set pieces and scored four, I think, from corners.  We've also been practising not buggering about at the back but clearing our lines instead and that means a reduction in individual errors costing us goals.  

Thought DY got his tactics bang on.  Really good substitutions to get game time into those who've not featured much and protecting the likes of Thomson who is getting more game time than many of us thought.  Carrick also got a deserved rest after another outstanding performance.

Highlight of the day for me was the Binos faithful giving it the ole when Dumbarton were passing it about at the back leading to a defender needlessly giving away a corner 

No failures for Stirling today but I give special mention to Cameron Clark, Kyle Banner and the front two who were splendid.  I was also impressed with Harrison Clark when he came on as a sub in the second half.  Also hope Leitch is ok after that clumsy tackle.  Looked a sore one and hope there was no malicious intent there 

2 minutes ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Good win even if the margin was unexpected.  I thought Dumbarton's tactics were terrible and lead to their own downfall and I think they're a better team than they showed today.  We've struggled against teams that run at us from midfield but with a couple of exceptions in the first half Dumbarton sat back and gave our midfield lots of possession.  That allowed Moore and Fotheringham in particular to run riot and with Carrick and Thomson in top form at the moment the game turned into a romp.  I thought it might change second half but instead Dumbarton brought on different guys to do the same things.  

We've clearly been practising set pieces and scored four, I think, from corners.  We've also been practising not buggering about at the back but clearing our lines instead and that means a reduction in individual errors costing us goals.  

Thought DY got his tactics bang on.  Really good substitutions to get game time into those who've not featured much and protecting the likes of Thomson who is getting more game time than many of us thought.  Carrick also got a deserved rest after another outstanding performance.

Highlight of the day for me was the Binos faithful giving it the ole when Dumbarton were passing it about at the back leading to a defender needlessly giving away a corner 

No failures for Stirling today but I give special mention to Cameron Clark, Kyle Banner and the front two who were splendid.  I was also impressed with Harrison Clark when he came on as a sub in the second half.  Also hope Leitch is ok after that clumsy tackle.  Looked a sore one and hope there was no malicious intent there 

Jack has a sprained and badly swollen ankle. Will probably be out for two weeks.

23 minutes ago, microdave said:

Nothing to add to what others have said about the game but to say I thought Stirling were as good as we were bad today. It was Stirling's biggest ever win against us with the previous best being a few four goal wins. Enjoy your night Binos.

Biggest ever win you say.  I'd be interested to know what other top of the league teams have ever been scudded 6-0 going on 10.  Never mind being horsed 7-0 in a cup tie.

But well done Binos, you absolutely smashed it today 

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Biggest ever win you say.  I'd be interested to know what other top of the league teams have ever been scudded 6-0 going on 10.  Never mind being horsed 7-0 in a cup tie.
But well done Binos, you absolutely smashed it today 
I was wondering the same thing and found this. f75c338e53f7255d6c807694c3e29bda.jpg

First time poster, long time supporter.  Supported the club for the best part of 25 years (together with my old man who has 50 years of service) and have been able to get to most games the last year or so after spending most Saturdays playing amateur for 8/9 years previously. 

First off, pretty much agree with Jan Vojacek's assessment.  Today was very poor, as has been clearly pointed out by both fans and manager.  Slight tweak to the shape in that Wallace was deployed as a 10 behind Byrne instead of McKee/Div Wilson as another 8 alongside Finlay.  However, despite a poor individual display from Wallace, our persistence with a long ball approach in build-up did him no favours.  Seldom, if at all, did we manage to play the ball to his feet where we could turn and create.

The compact, organised shape that has generally served us so well across the first quarter of the season was badly exposed today due to poor individual and collective Sons performances and an exciting, attack-minded Albion who caused all sorts of problems with the Carrick/Thommo combination up top and Fotheringham and Moore staying high and pinning our full backs when in possession.

Unfortunately too many of the issues/ghosts of last season continue to linger this season in spite of the excellent, history-making start to the campaign (for which players and staff deserve a great deal of credit).  No doubt we've looked better defensively across July, August and September (today, Rangers B in the cup and Stranraer away being the notable exceptions), but I have serious reservations about our attacking play.  Bear in mind I say this as someone who has played no higher than amateur level - these are purely observations as a football fan with no coaching badge qualifications or the like. 

So far, we have proved effective with a compact defensive shape/counter-attacking style but there seems to be a lack of a plan B.  As we witnessed many times last season, our build-up in attack appears to predominantly consist of Buchie or the other centre-back taking the ball and looking to play long to whoever is up-front, bypassing the midfield.  Unlike Albion, Elgin and other teams we have encountered across the last 12 months, we don't seem that capable of being able to progress the play through short, controlled possession and play our attacking players into feet.  

In my view, this ultimately comes down to the coaching by the management team.  Stevie Farrell comes across as a genuinely good bloke and he's clearly tried to address some of the problems from last season with the addition of Brett Long in goal, some good pedigree attacking options as well as what looks like a good piece of business in finding Finlay Gray.  That said, if our shape is breached and we have to try and impose oursevles by taking the game to the opposition, we leave a lot to be desired.  

Take nothing away from the management team and squad for what they achieved in the first seven games.  But, is Stevie Farrell the right man to take us back up at the first time of asking?  (For me, this has to be the objective.  Anything short of that ought to be considered a failure in my book.)  In my view, I don't think so.  Certainly not on the evidence of the underlying weaknesses that were exposed today.  

4 hours ago, microdave said:
On 06/10/2022 at 17:48, BB_Bino said:
That’s the one [mention=6034]microdave[/mention], always plenty of spaces there mate emoji1303.png

Cheers, there was indeed plenty room although I wish I hadn't bothered. The only plus point was the lack of traffic on the way out at 1625.

Glad to hear, in that regard, it worked out well for you microdave.

Firstly I would like to say thank you to the Dumbarton fans that are actually giving Stirling Albion praise for our win today. We have been playing well for a number of weeks now, and Darren Young has build a decent squad but all to often you come on here and the opposition play us down, good to see that’s not the case today.

I thought we were excellent again today and in control throughout, Dumbarton helped us by their own deficiencies but some of our play and some of our movement in the final third has been the best I have seen in years. The goals were all well taken, clinical to say the least and it was even more pleasing to see them being spread about the team.

Big credit must go to Kyle Banner and I was delighted for him today. He’s been a bit part player for the past few years, and a bit of a boo boy target during this time, but this season, after Harrison Clark’s injury, he has come into the side and played really really well, cemented that midfield spot for now and obviously bagged himself 2 goals today. Delighted for him and hope it continues.

Stevie Farrell seemed lost for ideas today, if I got that impression then I’m sure the Dumbarton board must have as well. Bringing Gemmell back and bringing him on today looks like a sign of desperation on that performance. I was a big fan of the Beast throughout his career, but he didn’t look like that player today and it seems like Farrell is clutching at straws.

I genuinely thought Dumbarton were poor throughout, yet we were in their faces, snapping away and winning pretty much every individual battle, so pleasing from our perspective.

Final word, it was brilliant to see almost 700(ish) fans in the Home Stand today, a lot of new faces and many old ones returning for the first time in who knows when. When you are winning and playing well, then people want to come. I’m not getting into old v new board debates but I am just hoping we have turned that corner on and off the pitch and that we can kick on, great support for the players and cracking performance from the players. Superb 👏🏻

3 hours ago, Lyon Son said:

Take nothing away from the management team and squad for what they achieved in the first seven games.  But, is Stevie Farrell the right man to take us back up at the first time of asking?  (For me, this has to be the objective.  Anything short of that ought to be considered a failure in my book.)  In my view, I don't think so.  Certainly not on the evidence of the underlying weaknesses that were exposed today.  

How many Dumbarton fans seriously set returning to League One "at the first time of asking" as their anything else is failure objective for the season back in July? On what basis should Dumbarton FC expect to achieve this? This is just ludicrous revisionism. 

You might have many justified reasons for hating your manager, but failing to romp back up to your 'rightful' level like Juventus slumming it in Serie B is a fucking laughable basis to do so. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

How many Dumbarton fans seriously set returning to League One "at the first time of asking' as their anything else is failure objective for the season back in July? On what basis should Dumbarton FC expect to achieve this? This is just ludicrous revisionism. 

You might have many justified reasons for hating your manager, but failing to romp back up to your 'rightful' level like Juventus slumming it in Serie B is a fucking laughable basis to do so. 

Absolutely fucking this. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

1 hour ago, Hugh G Heid said:

Care to provide evidence to back up your claim?

Well you could try asking their hoped for replacement Craig Levine for a denial and see how that goes. You could also ask John Colquhoun and Brian Grant the hoped for new directors.  Failing that you could ask Jim Thompson or Neil Emslie for a denial.  For some strange reason I wasn't invited to any of the discussions, but you claimed to be all informed about the big plan, so why are you asking for evidence of something you already know is true?

Thought they were great and we weren't.

Robert Thomson ran the show and it's ironic that he might have picked up a knock just before half time when Bucky decided to challenge him at the half way line, having given him so much space everywhere else before that.  He absolutely bossed it.

Highlight was the Beef Satay pie.

We must bring more to our attacking play than long throw ins, one trick pony wingers and hail Mary's from centre backs.