Airdrie v Queens

Good game to watch if you were a neutral. Two teams going for it, even Airdrie after they went down to ten, and defensively both teams poor. 

I think the shape was all wrong first half. Left us far too open, but I can see why Gibson tried it as we didn’t have the personnel to play the 3/5 at the back. Bizarre for Cochrane to start ahead of McCrory though and Ruth didn’t do enough to justify his selection for me. 

In an attacking sense, we played pretty well. That’s the best I’ve seen Reilly since he came back. Connelly lively and Todd had a good game. Wilson solid as usual.

The most frustrating thing was how we played after Airdrie went to 10. A lesson on how not to play against a team with a man down. Passed the ball too slow. Hit the ball long. Still looked vulnerable to losing a goal, but in saying that we had a glaring chance to win it at the end. 

Closer to the bottom than the play offs. 4 draws now from 9 games and really need to start turning those into wins. 

Well, boring it wasn’t.

Thought Todd played very well, and I agree Reilly looked very sharp, back to the Reilly from a few years ago.

Cochrane was having a nightmare until his goal, maybe that will give him confidence. Although I still wouldn’t start him Tuesday.

Could and should have been a win, but it would have surprised nobody had we lost….

Can anyone tell me why we changed so much today. Again in first half we were so far of it. Todd being moved out to the wide right is baffling. He has been excellent in the middle with the security of Wilson. We controlled the last 3 games. I could not understand the way we defend McKenna and D. McKay are so off it just now you get nervous every time a team attack us. Or best CB is a converted forward.  We have food players on the ground bust still insist in pumping it forward rather than play through teams. Murray looks uninterested he was very poor when he came on. 

13 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Posted elsewhere but good spells for both sides and pleasant to see some other side struggle to do much against ten men . Mind you unlike our FC mess, we kept a sensible formation . A long season to get 4th spot I fear. 

Agree with all of this. We’ve all posted before about how open and soft we are and as much as McCabe seems to realise this, it’s up to him to fix it. I don’t think there’s too much between ourselves and Queens really and I suppose the results in the two games so far show that. Two decent teams who on their day can dish out a real pumping but also have clear flaws. 

I normally think after the first quarter is a good indicator for the season but it’s still so tight and I suppose it took until the second quarter for ourselves and Cove to really get going last season. I do think we might see Falkirk and Dunfermline start to pull away over this quarter with ourselves, Queens, Edinburgh, Alloa, Montrose and maybe even Kelty fighting for the other two spots. A big month for us playing most of those teams.

Enjoyed that today from an entertainment perspective but our openness and inability to defend is going to kill us. They’re not the first opposition to do so, but every time QoS came into our half they looked like they were going to score. That’s simply not sustainable and it’s alarming how more or less the same defensive unit + the best right-back in the league in Ballantyne have regressed so badly from last season. It was unreal the amount of times their players picked up the ball in acres of space in the middle of the park, down the flanks or on the edge of the box. It’s a wonder they didn’t actually try more long-range shots because they’d have had plenty of time and space to pick their spot. I was lucky enough to be in hospitality today and McCabe said in the bar after the game he was raging that we’ve lost 7 goals in two games and at how soft they were. Me too brother! At least he’s acknowledged it’s not good enough and we know he’ll work hard to fix it. I’m not sure there’s much he can do in terms of personnel currently but the defenders we have should be and are good enough at this level. Ultimately, he may just have to compromise his principles somewhat if it’s going to make us more difficult to beat. That being said some of the goals from an individual perspective are also far too soft. 

But, I thought overall the performance was far and away better than Kelty last week (and presumably the Montrose and Alloa games too). We played some lovely stuff at times and the goals were all excellent. When we put it all together we really are a cracking side to watch and capable of beating anyone. Still confident of doing well and having a successful season under McCabe. We just need to get a bit of solidity about the side ASAP. 

Home kit is still a disgrace. 

16 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

How does Mckenna lose his man from this position ? That is embarrassing, can’t quite remember but sure it was him arsing about in the lead up to giving the corner away for Airdries second goal. 

71EF1F67-40C8-4D19-B773-690CEB927788.png

I thought this goal was Paton’s fault at the time. I was really disappointed with his attitude when he came on, he didn’t make enough of an effort to track his man here and attempt to stop the cross, but how easy it is to find an Airdrie body in the box is a shambles

46 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I thought this goal was Paton’s fault at the time. I was really disappointed with his attitude when he came on, he didn’t make enough of an effort to track his man here and attempt to stop the cross, but how easy it is to find an Airdrie body in the box is a shambles

Wouldn't say it was entirely Paton's fault but I also thought he could have done more to stop the players run, he just stopped and let the player run on. The defender is also slow to get over but it was a speculative cross which caught the middle men sleeping. All in all a soft goal to lose. 

Just watched the highlights on Airdrie's OS - decent highlights there.

First thought when I got to my seat was ... Gibson not starting or even on the bench, shit - any chance of a refund here before it starts?  Thought it turned out a decent game though, both sides having a go from the off, but came away thinking we probably should have won that - especially finishing against ten men.

Some good goals in there but our defending continues to be woeful at times - hence our league position.  I couldn't see it in the highlights but just prior to Airdrie's corner (woefully defended again) I thought McKenna had plenty time to take a touch on a high ball before passing but instead headed (I think) straight back to Airdrie and they got the corner which led to the goal.  Just one of several examples of needlessly giving away possession when not under great pressure.

Gavin and Tosh combined well to put Connelly through on goal second half and was sure he'd score but he took an extra touch and the defender did well to clear - couldn't help thinking a certain "Stephen" would have hit that first time before the defenders/keeper could recover, but maybe that's a bit unfair and wishful thinking.  Would have liked for Lee to have hit the free-kick first half on the edge of the box that Ruth took (he hit it well though).  Worried to see Connelly substituted after an injury though.

Best players were Tosh, Reilly (Gav worked his socks off yet again) and East for me with Hendrie and Wilson not far behind.  Murray didn't look that interested when he came on and I wished we'd thrown young McKechnie into the fray late on against the ten men to give it a real go.

Thought Cochrane put in a shift giving lots of effort but nothing was working for him early on leading to a silly booking and he could have been booked again second half for a hopeful sliding tackle - probably why WG took him off which was sensible.  There is talent there though as you could see from some of his midfield work and his strike of course was a belter - I keep thinking there is a player in there, its frustrating, probably a confidence thing - the lad was giving it a go though.

Read an Airdrie poster saying that their midfield gave their defence no cover with Queens having loads of space in front of their back four and I'd say that was a fair observation - we won't get that charity from the Pars or Falkirk and we didn't take full advantage of it.

11 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Not many comments on here on the sending-off, looking from the far side of the pitch it looked a soft second yellow, two players coming together, could've been a foul but harsh yellow. Maybe worse up close. 

Yeah, like yourself not a great view from our side of the pitch.  I thought it looked a solid challenge at the time, but I think it was the lino who called the foul and he was close to the action.  Wasn't a lot of time left at that point but we didn't take full advantage of it.

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, like yourself not a great view from our side of the pitch.  I thought it looked a solid challenge at the time, but I think it was the lino who called the foul and he was close to the action.  Wasn't a lot of time left at that point but we didn't take full advantage of it.

A lot of people around me seemed annoyed and surprised it was given as a foul but it looked a clear foul to me. As for the yellow I think it was because it broke a Queen’s counter attack. The actual force didn’t merit a yellow and it was more of a clumsy challenge than anything but it’s not one worth arguing with, two quite standard yellow card challenges in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

A lot of people around me seemed annoyed and surprised it was given as a foul but it looked a clear foul to me. As for the yellow I think it was because it broke a Queen’s counter attack. The actual force didn’t merit a yellow and it was more of a clumsy challenge than anything but it’s not one worth arguing with, two quite standard yellow card challenges in my opinion.

Cheers, makes sense.  Pretty sure that's why we hooked Cochrane second half - he was on a yellow and trying too hard, not controlled enough in tackles and was a second yellow waiting to happen.

Actually didn't notice the officials much yesterday ... on reflection, they had a good game too.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Gavin and Tosh combined well to put Connelly through on goal 

Best players were Tosh, Reilly (Gav worked his socks off yet again) and East for me

If only, if only...