Airdrie v Queens

Difficult game Airdrie looked good at Palmy especially in the 1st half  Frizzell the best player  on the  park.

We still have a weakness at centre back plus we  are missing a lot of chances hopefully at both ends of the park we show a improvement 

Airdrie have a game up at Montrose tomorrow night before they'll be thinking of the Queens game.  With two defeats in their last three league games Airdrie's form may perhaps be dipping a bit since the first game with Queens so will be interesting to see how their game midweek goes.

From a brief look at the Airdrie thread there seems to be some discussion about living with a relatively small squad and this maybe could be affecting their form a bit - not sure if they are struggling with injuries etc.

Also interesting parallels here with Rhys McCabe in the same player-manager role as Gibson at Queens.  Both very much still finding their way as they start their managerial careers.

Be interesting to hear the Airdrie fans views on this tie when the weekend approaches.

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Difficult game Airdrie looked good at Palmy especially in the 1st half  Frizzell the best player  on the  park.

We still have a weakness at centre back plus we  are missing a lot of chances hopefully at both ends of the park we show a improvement 

Bore off Jack. 

Away win by one or two, with an extra added for our honking new away kit.
I won't lie. I haven't been paying attention to any other side the past couple of weeks until QoS hopefully get their shit together. That's some run of results for Airdrie. What's gone on there? In that first half against us they never created much but the tempo and pressure was incredible. Really thought they'd have kicked on. I'm still baffled how FCE put 6 past you, regardless of being a man down. But other than that what's going wrong the now?

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:
Away win by one or two, with an extra added for our honking new away kit.

I won't lie. I haven't been paying attention to any other side the past couple of weeks until QoS hopefully get their shit together. That's some run of results for Airdrie. What's gone on there? In that first half against us they never created much but the tempo and pressure was incredible. Really thought they'd have kicked on. I'm still baffled how FCE put 6 past you, regardless of being a man down. But other than that what's going wrong the now?

The Edinburgh game we got a man sent off early while conceding a penalty. They then got a 2nd just before half time and we proceeded to basically go all out attack with 10 men for the entire 2nd half playing a kind of 2-4-3 formation and got taken apart (unsurprisingly).

Emergency loanee GK Johnson has left and we have a young keeper who has been okay but defensively we look very shakey now. We still have plenty of the ball and look quite dangerous (Kelty game aside) so should be an entertaining game. Frizzell and Fordyce went off injured midweek which is a big blow if they are out. Queens look to be improving so will be a very tough game, I'd expect Queens to edge it in a high scoring game.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The Edinburgh game we got a man sent off early while conceding a penalty. They then got a 2nd just before half time and we proceeded to basically go all out attack with 10 men for the entire 2nd half playing a kind of 2-4-3 formation and got taken apart (unsurprisingly).

Emergency loanee GK Johnson has left and we have a young keeper who has been okay but defensively we look very shakey now. We still have plenty of the ball and look quite dangerous (Kelty game aside) so should be an entertaining game. Frizzell and Fordyce went off injured midweek which is a big blow if they are out. Queens look to be improving so will be a very tough game, I'd expect Queens to edge it in a high scoring game.

Whats happened to Josh Rae?

9 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Crocked in a pre-season friendly. Has subsequently underwent shoulder surgery. As usual with the club no information given on how long he’ll be out.

Shame, he's a decent keeper. He was injured when we first played but I didn't realise he'd had surgery since 

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Crocked in a pre-season friendly. Has subsequently underwent shoulder surgery. As usual with the club no information given on how long he’ll be out.

Saw him at he game at kelty, still in a,sling and looked a long way from  playing_I would think around January time for return. ( guess)

Hope Gibson's been reading this thread in regards of the Airdrie keeper situation ... lots of balls into the box on Saturday please William (especially if Fordyce is out too)!

[sorry to hear about Rae's injury ...]

14 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Whats happened to Josh Rae?

There was a photo of Josh Rae on the Airdrie thread  couple of weeks ago showing him in hospital bed? with shoulder injury. As I said at the time he has been unlucky with early season injuries this season and last. Hope all goes well with his recovery. 

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Hope Gibson's been reading this thread in regards of the Airdrie keeper situation ... lots of balls into the box on Saturday please William (especially if Fordyce is out too)!

I’m not saying the young keeper would easily deal with that, but long balls into the box aren’t what most fans are worried about with this keeper. I’d assume Gibson will have watched our highlights and be well aware of the issue.

Henderson

Ballantyne McCabe Fordyce ATS

Frizzell Telfer Devenny

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That’d be my team if Frizzell and Fordyce are both available. If Fordyce is out I’d bring in Watson and shuffle the backline so that Watson is RB, ATS is next to McCabe at CB and Ballantyne is at LB. Not convinced by Watson at centre back at all but he’s a better footballer than Deveney.

If Frizzell’s out it could be a case of bringing in a defender and pushing McCabe up into midfield but I think I’d rather see McMaster or Wylie (if he’s fit) get a run out.

Arguably Airdrie's best player Frizzell maybe out, solid defender Fordyce maybe out, a young keeper and defence low on confidence, and a threadbare Airdrie squad, what could possibly go wrong for QoS in this game? Why am I not more confident of an away win? 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Henderson

Ballantyne McCabe Fordyce ATS

Frizzell Telfer Devenny

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That’d be my team if Frizzell and Fordyce are both available. If Fordyce is out I’d bring in Watson and shuffle the backline so that Watson is RB, ATS is next to McCabe at CB and Ballantyne is at LB. Not convinced by Watson at centre back at all but he’s a better footballer than Deveney.

If Frizzell’s out it could be a case of bringing in a defender and pushing McCabe up into midfield but I think I’d rather see McMaster or Wylie (if he’s fit) get a run out.

Rhys was asked specifically about injuries on DTV+ and you can take it that Josh Rae is out. He didn't seem confident about Frizzell (swollen ankle) but seemed more hopeful about Fordyce.

Although Ben Wylie has not been stripped the last 2 games, he was not mentioned.

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Rhys was asked specifically about injuries on DTV+ and you can take it that Josh Rae is out. He didn't seem confident about Frizzell (swollen ankle) but seemed more hopeful about Fordyce.

Although Ben Wylie has not been stripped the last 2 games, he was not mentioned.

Gonna maybe assume Wylie been sent back then? What a waste of a loan him and McMaster have been.

5 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Gonna maybe assume Wylie been sent back then? What a waste of a loan him and McMaster have been.

Maybe, certainly strange that he's not even meriting a mention. Has a contract at Celtic until May 2024 so must surely have ability but his fitness has looked questionable. McMaster hasn't had much game time but not really showed anything when he has.

We don't have anyone capable of converting crosses sadly. Unless he plans to give Ruth or Bange a start of course. I've noticed we seem to be reluctant to flood the box when we are in positions to cross. No idea if it's tactical or lazy attacking.