Artists You Used To Love/Hate

BFTD

Whose music did you (dis)like in your youth, but went off/learned to appreciate later?

I remember when everyone at school seemed to be playing The Prodigy Experience, and I thought stuff like Out of Space was shite. Not into it at all. Later, a friend who knew I was into metal tried to get me into Music for the Jilted Generation, as it seemed to have crossover appeal with the metal fans, but to their surprise I wasn't into it at all. They thought I'd like Poison, at least. Years later, The Fat of the Land came out, and I loved it. I just thought they'd finally made something I liked, so it wasn't until a few years ago that I picked up second-hand copies of the first two albums through work, and teenage me was clearly just deeply, deeply wrong. They're great records. Being a fud, I haven't bothered investigating any more of their stuff until recently, when YouTube started playing Invaders Must Die randomly and, what do you know, it's a great album too.

In terms of stuff I went off, Guns n' Roses got me into rock and metal in my pre-teen years, and I used to listen to Appetite for Destruction a lot, spending a stupid amount of money on tapes of the Use Your Illusion albums when they came out; I think Our Price were charging something ridiculous like £14.99 each on release. Not saying that I think they're shite now or anything, but their music has done nothing for me for a good twenty years or more, and doesn't sound any different to the rest of the hair metal stuff that was around at the time (which I never liked).

Artists I've went off is definitely easier than the other way around. I honestly can't think of anyone that I didn't like to begin with that I've come around to.

When I was young and stupid I was into metal - VHS tapes of Raw Power taped off the TV, Kerrang posters on the wall. I was an absolute fucking dweeb.

Anyway, suffice to say the older I got (like mid-teens) the Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica and Pantera albums were binned along with many others and I've never gone back to them. 

Edited by capt_oats

I don't really listen to most of the bands I liked when I was a teenager anymore.  I was a big Oasis and Stone Roses fan, I honestly don't think I've say down and listened to an album by either in the last 20 years or more.

Edited by ICTChris

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't really listen to most of the bands I liked when I was a teenager anymore.  I was a big Oasis and Stone Roses fan, I honestly don't think I've say down and listened to an album by either in the last 20 years or more.

I was just away to post something similar.

I was well into Britpop and indie stuff back in the 90s. I dressed accordingly with mop top hair etc.

I've since realised that the vast majority of that stuff was utter shite.

I was just away to post something similar.
I was well into Britpop and indie stuff back in the 90s. I dressed accordingly with mop top hair etc.
I've since realised that the vast majority of that stuff was utter shite.
Very similar to me, think I'll try and listen to some Echobelly, Mansun and Throwing Muses to see if they are as good as I recall. I won't bother with Menswe@r as that will 100% be terrible.

Pulp have definitely stood the test of time, hmm maybe a Suede revisit as well.

6 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Very similar to me, think I'll try and listen to some Echobelly, Mansun and Throwing Muses to see if they are as good as I recall. I won't bother with Menswe@r as that will 100% be terrible.

Pulp have definitely stood the test of time, hmm maybe a Suede revisit as well.

Throwing Muses blew hot and cold. I revisited them a couple of months ago. The Real Ramona is a great album, Hunkpapa not as much.

On 03/10/2022 at 10:50, ICTChris said:

Growing up in the 90s Britpop was everywhere; headline news stories and everything, so it was pretty inescapable. 

I’m the same; it’s amazing how cool I though Oasis were as a 10 year old kid. I don’t think I’ve listened to them, or most of that era, since I was in my mid-teens around the turn of the millennium. 

I went through a big hip hop phase around my mid to late teens and, while I still like some of it, there’s a lot of it I just couldn’t listen to anymore.

I used to like pink floyd when i was about 14. Have tried a couple of tracks recently and couldn't make the end. Awful stuff. 

I also really liked New Order but they've stood the test of time, despite some of the tech and sounds on their records dating badly. 

I rejected public enemy up to and including Fear of a Black Planet (i guess i was around 14 or 15).  Heard the Anthrax collaboration on Bring the Noise and just got it and became a massive fan. 

Plenty acts whose records i liked haven't stood the test of time but they were all really single album obsessions. Finitribe, World of Twist, Interstella, Sleeper, Air and loads i can't remember now. 

Generally though if i liked something before i still like it.