Celebrating 150 years of Scottish Football

Hendricks

We have endured a horrendous amount of shite over the years. That said amongst that there have been some amazing moments. 

Scotland 3-2 Holland in 1978

Kenny Dalgleish against Spain

Beating Holland 1-0 in the play off 

Beating France home and away 

Certain match in Belgrade

Battering Ukraine last week. 

It's 50 years ago, none of the people involved in banning women's football are still involved in the SFA, so I don't really see the issue here. It's clearly a massive part of Scottish football history, and not celebrating it would basically be doubling down on the original shameful decision to exclude women. Some of the players involved are now in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame and they deserve to be celebrated.

They do deserve to be celebrated. I still found it jarring.

Was there ever an official apology? There might have been, I have a vague recollection but it might have been the FA.

If not then there should be.

ETA I see now there was. Fair enough move on and celebrate it.

Edited by invergowrie arab

The absolute fucking cheek of that SFA one celebrating women's football in the 70s.

What should they do, pretend it never happened?

The original team have been recognised in recent years and the association have acknowledged that those in charge at the time were in the wrong.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

What should they do, pretend it never happened?

The original team have been recognised in recent years and the association have acknowledged that those in charge at the time were in the wrong.

Its jarring to include the Ravenscraig pioneers without any reference to why they had to what they had to do and what the SFA's attitude was at the time.

If you didn't know the background you would have no idea it was unrecognised and unsanctioned from that video.

A wee nod to that would have been good. I don't think it would have detracted from the piece. Nobody is going to have done everything right over 150 years.

• 1 month later...

We're now 6 days from the 150th anniversary of international football but little seems to be happening - beyond a couple of invitation-only and/or academic talks.

Upcoming events on SFA's own 150th anniversary website lists just the friendly v England in 10 months, and has only the presentation of caps at a women international 2 months ago amongst past events.

Re-enactment game at WOS Cricket Ground next week now a 'celebratory kickoff' by 2 descendants for press and select guests.

Hopefully it'll take-off subsequently.

Edited by HibeeJibee