St Mirren v Livi

A draw would have been a fair result overall, but to go down to ten men and lose an equaliser with four minutes to go, and then take the lead again in the 90th minute, shows what a squad Robbo has put together.

He got pelters (from me included) for our poor end to the season last year. But he’s proved me and a lot of St Mirren supporters wrong with the squad he’s built.

3rd, 4 points off 2nd and off to Ibrox next week with nothing to fear. If we can deal with Celtic, we have every chance of earning a result next week.

About the shite playing style thing that some St Mirren fans have commented here, it'll appear that way from Livi with matches at St Mirren Park. Livi do best against sides who use a more possession-based style. Examples are Dundee Utd, Hibs, or Aberdeen last season. That allows Livi to defend high with an aggressive press, something the midfield of Pittman, Omeonga and Holt are excellent at. St Mirren use a more direct, faster build up, and can also use a longer pass to bypass your midfield press and leave your defence isolated against their strikers. Therefore, a "low block" gets used instead by Martindale to try and deal with that. There's also that this St Mirren team are very good. It's the solid base Goodwin created with a cutting edge now added by Robinson. They just beat Celtic. Expecting to turn up and play them off the park wouldn't have been wise. Another factor will've been that Robinson's Motherwell walloped us most times they played us and Martindale will remember that. 
Agree with most of that.

However, Goodwin"s influence on our current level of performance, if any, is minimal.

Robinson is far more tactically astute and has signed players that actually fit our system. Added to that, he's getting a tune out of players, that couldn't kick there own arse under Goodwin.

I was a bit scunnered thinking we'd only get a draw, after the sitters we missed, Pitts, Ayo and then Kelly with the penalty blasted over the bar, with a few others that were decent chances but not quite sitters, only to then come away with fuckall, sheesh.

Waited far too long to bring Anderson on, just knew it would be after we went a goal behind, when he did finally get on he made a massive difference to our attack. I've liked the look of Guthrie, just not how he was expected to play in this game, didn't look mobile enough to spin his man and get in behind defenders, more suited to getting into the box for crosses than an out and out target man. 

I'll grudgingly give credit to St Mirren for pushing on for a winner after we pegged them back, and doing so with 10 men, still pissed off losing the game though.

48 minutes ago, Dagdagh said:

Well, the schoolboy Ref gave us three yellows today.  One was harsh and the other two were just a joke.  As for fouls.  The number of dives you got fouls for today was ridiculous.

Shithousery is your thing.  Embrace it.

Should've had plenty more too, he let you away with some earlier, warning your players several times before booking them. Should also have had another red card, yeah funny how opposition fans see things so differently. 

I was absolutely certain at the equaliser that we'd go on to lose. Being 1-0 up with 10 men and failing to see it out with 5 mins left is such a St. Mirren thing to do.

Pushing on for the winner (and it was a push on, not a lucky break) was not something I had foreseen. 

There's just something different about the level of dig and resoluteness about the team this season. It's a brilliant watch. Even when we're not good, there's a chance.

I fear that we'll be going to Ibrox next week with a completely decimated squad but in all honestly, it's probably the best time to have any such problems. 

We can also finally put the Motherwell game to bed on term of lamenting 3 points dropped that we should have gained. Yesterday was the other side of that coin so we're balanced out on that front.

Edited by djchapsticks

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

One of the highlights for me was the reaction from Martindale when we scored our second. It was pure gold. The behaviour of his backroom staff not to mention Devlin was pathetic. 

Missed that. What did he do? Also missed Ethan's reaction at the time..... getting it right up one of the Livingston players (no. 28?).

Like others, was delighted with the home attendance. I think the work the club is doing in the local community is paying off, coupled with what's happening on the park. In the 10 pre-Christmas home games last season, we won 1 and scored 7 goals, failing to score in 5 of them. In our 5 home games to date this season we've picked up 4 wins and scored 6.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

St Mirren fans seem to be getting a wee hard on after this and using one heat of the moment "undeserved" comment to direct quite a bit of froth in our direction which has clearly been brewing for a while. Could it be do to be with four seasons in our shadow despite being a demonstrably bigger club...or am I reading into it too much? The shithouse comments are pot, kettle, black territory. Robinson's speciality is shithouse teams. I'm afraid to say that, while we often find ourselves in the shithouse club (especially away from home), you are very much one of us, gooble gobble, etc. 

Anyway, it was 100% a deserved victory. You showed greater mental strength when it counted and won the battle of the shithouses. I don't see you keeping up the current run of form over the course of the season, but if we were able to shithouse our way to a top six finish (twice) since coming back up then anything is possible. 

See you next time for another shit game of football. 

Every weekend buses head out of small towns all over Scotland to Parkhead or Ibrox.

There should be solidarity amongst those Scottish football fans who have rejected the Old Firm and, instead, put money into our local communities.

Should remember that rather than create animosity between us.

10 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

St Mirren fans seem to be getting a wee hard on after this and using one heat of the moment "undeserved" comment to direct quite a bit of froth in our direction which has clearly been brewing for a while. Could it be do to be with four seasons in our shadow despite being a demonstrably bigger club...or am I reading into it too much? The shithouse comments are pot, kettle, black territory. Robinson's speciality is shithouse teams. I'm afraid to say that, while we often find ourselves in the shithouse club (especially away from home), you are very much one of us, gooble gobble, etc. 

Anyway, it was 100% a deserved victory. You showed greater mental strength when it counted and won the battle of the shithouses. I don't see you keeping up the current run of form over the course of the season, but if we were able to shithouse our way to a top six finish (twice) since coming back up then anything is possible. 

You don't even have the excuse of posting whilst pished for that arrant nonsense.:lol:

20 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Incorrect. We are getting huge, massive, top 3 Tony hard-ons. Not wee ones. It’s a time to enjoy the heady hard-ons, third spot, gubbed ra’ Sellik, won in the 90th minute with ten men. Damn right we’re going to milk it. Doesn’t usually go like this… and it may not last. In the words of Alan Partridge… time for a w**k methinks.

Thank you.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Every weekend buses head out of small towns all over Scotland to Parkhead or Ibrox.

There should be solidarity amongst those Scottish football fans who have rejected the Old Firm and, instead, put money into our local communities.

Should remember that rather than create animosity between us.

Posts made in the recent after match time period usually bring the rawness of defeat or the exuberance of victory to the fore. 

In the cold light of day, most of us realise exactly what you've just posted.

As much as playing Livingston stirs up an immediate sense of annoyance, for me anyway, it soon fades, as I've got huge admiration for the way that they play to their strengths.

Happily we've now got a manager who is capable of putting out a team that also plays to our strengths, with an element of shithousery when required.

There are only two clubs that I would condemn fans. For the rest of us I admire every fan that takes the time and spends the money to support their club.  I saw a picture during the week of only 2 fans in an Away section who had travelled hundreds of miles for a midweek game. Good on them.

Yesterday was a great result in the circumstances. Livi are always difficult to beat and they have some very good players. Getting a result with only 10 men was excellent. We were shite yesterday with our worst league performance this season. That was Gogic's first start in 6 months and it showed. I also think he was wearing 6 inch heels. Strain was a huge miss. Fraser is nowhere in the same category playing wing back. And Kiltie is not a striker. If Greive had come back from NZ sooner than Friday and he started I reckon we would have caused the Livi defence far more problems. Great to see Joe get some game time and introduce a threat at corners. Good day at the office.

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

One of the highlights for me was the reaction from Martindale when we scored our second. It was pure gold. The behaviour of his backroom staff not to mention Devlin was pathetic. 

Great 3 points but our squad will be tested with injury and suspension. 

Devlin and Martindale made an arse of themselves at the Livi Goal. Both looked a wee bit shell shocked when Greive blasted in the winner 🤣

Reading the thread earlier, and not being on Twatter at all, I thought maybe Div had tweeted something incendiary while pished, and had broken the internet. Frankly disappointing to find that it’s just a bloke giving his opinion on something. 

The first half yesterday was as dull as a game can get not for the first time playing Livie . Bumped into the Athletico Bilbao fans at halftime I was not the only one apologising to them for the shit show on the park. Gave one of them my Saints scarf.  Thankfully the game sparked into life when the first goal went in. Like Celtic Livie through everything on to get back in the game to no avail. 3 points in the bag and third top of the league. 

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

There are only two clubs that I would condemn fans. For the rest of us I admire every fan that takes the time and spends the money to support their club.  I saw a picture during the week of only 2 fans in an Away section who had travelled hundreds of miles for a midweek game. Good on them.

Yesterday was a great result in the circumstances. Livi are always difficult to beat and they have some very good players. Getting a result with only 10 men was excellent. We were shite yesterday with our worst league performance this season. That was Gogic's first start in 6 months and it showed. I also think he was wearing 6 inch heels. Strain was a huge miss. Fraser is nowhere in the same category playing wing back. And Kiltie is not a striker. If Greive had come back from NZ sooner than Friday and he started I reckon we would have caused the Livi defence far more problems. Great to see Joe get some game time and introduce a threat at corners. Good day at the office.

We often get games like this with one another because we are 2 similar quality teams, i was expecting the usual St Mirren 25 yard thunderfuck into the top corner to win it for you 1-0 when the conditions made it even harder to play 'football'. You've done that to us a few times.

TBF for your winner, we had taken off a defensive mid and a full back, Omeonga especially is our best DM for turning over possession, and us defending a free kick then 3 corners and not being able to get the ball up to Anderson on the halfway line would've been a lot to do with him going off the pitch. The first goal was when we were just getting Anderson on, great timing for St Mirren scoring then, it also forced Martindale into more drastic changes to shape and attacking players for defensive one. Still think we should've had Anderson on 10 mins sooner, and at 0-0 i reckon we'd have gone on to win with him on the pitch, guess we'll never know though.

I can see why Martindale is reluctant to play Anderson though, with his injury problems at the end of last season and start of this, wrapping him in cotton wool bringing him on slowly, doubt he'll start against County either, and dare say if we manage to be a goal up i can see him leaving it to the last 10 mins for subbing him on. Really could do with playing him now, as we just haven't the cutting edge in attack without him.

Anyway, in the cold light of day after a cooling off period, although it was a sore one for us, i think we'll get over it and be back in the mix for  top 6 spot again, it's all pretty tight between 3rd and 7th, with 8th & 9th not far behind either. Just wish it was us up there leading the best of the rest, but it aint, so well done St Mirren.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Devlin and Martindale made an arse of themselves at the Livi Goal. Both looked a wee bit shell shocked when Greive blasted in the winner 🤣

I know how they felt, made the same arse of myself when we scored, jumping about like a maniac, and was totally deflated when you got the winner at the death.