St Mirren v Livi

Good time for Livvy to get us, with so many of our international stars having been away with their countries. 😎

8-0 Saints… Aussie international, Aussie international, Kiwi international, Scottish international, Cypriot international, Curtis Main hat-trick.

Edited by pozbaird

I'd imagine we'll stay with the 4-3-3 and the only possible personnel changes I can think of would be Fitzwater coming back in but Kelly hasn't done anything to warrant being dropped.

Shamal

Devlin Kelly Ayo Montano

Holt Pittman Omeonga

Moyo Guthrie Nouble

Anderson should be nearing fitness too which hopefully means we'll start to see more of him being reintroduced. Games against St Mirren are always tight affairs and we seem to be quite keen on winning 1-0...so i'll go for that

11 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Anderson should be nearing fitness too which hopefully means we'll start to see more of him being reintroduced. Games against St Mirren are always tight affairs and we seem to be quite keen on winning 1-0...so i'll go for that

Yeah, can't see there being much in this either way. Hardly a revelatory opinion, but I've been impressed with what I've seen of Nouble. 

So far this season we've seen that we do better against teams that come at us (Aberdeen game when down to 10 men for 60 mins the exception). Livi in the same mould as us - not so big on possession, but effective when they've got it. Hoping that doesn't mean we struggle as we did against St Johnstone and (10-man) Motherwell.

This game should be a good indicator to where we are as a team . Livie yet again look a big strong physical team who look like they can score. Best start to a season we have had in a very long time the Livie games are the type we need to win if top six ambitions are to be had.  No trains Saturday  : ( however I have been promised a lift to Paisley and back so fingers crossed.  

1 hour ago, crispy said:

I think it’s interesting that we are perceived as a “big strong physical team”. I haven’t looked at all the numbers but our everpresents Holt, Omeonga and Pittman are shorties..

It's just typical laziness from Scottish fans/pundits. We've been a "big strong physical team" since we came up purely because our players aren't massive shitebags.

At least this season we can have a front 3 of Nouble, Guthrie, and Bahamboula to give it some merit.

I'd say it's a fair comment this season. Defensively we've got Fitzwater, Obileye, and Montano, and in attack Moyo, Nouble and Guthrie. Midfield may be smaller but all three are fairly physical players. 

Last season I'd say it was lazy. A front three of Shinnie, Bailey and Forrest with the same midfield doesn't really carry the same threat

9 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I'd say it's a fair comment this season. Defensively we've got Fitzwater, Obileye, and Montano, and in attack Moyo, Nouble and Guthrie. Midfield may be smaller but all three are fairly physical players. 

Last season I'd say it was lazy. A front three of Shinnie, Bailey and Forrest with the same midfield doesn't really carry the same threat

Yeah our harrying short arses in midfield got us the big physical team tag, Gallagher and Halkett added a great threat from set pieces which prob helped with the big physical team perception, but every team has big CB's, and one of them is now with St Mirren. 

Ironically our short arses are still the most aggressive players in our team, Holt and Omeonga in particular. Nouble & Bahamboula are tall, but pretty nimble with the ball at their feet, and Nouble's physical strength is being able to drive forward with players hanging onto him rather than barging them out of the way.

Guthrie has finally given us a threat from set pieces, particularly long throw ins, which we've been missing since his namesake left us, Montano is looking pretty handy from corners too, might start marking him better as i think Nouble, Guthrie & Obileye have taken most of the opposition defenders attention. Really good having so many tall players now though, wont be easy to mark them all at set pieces.

Think this should be a decent game with both teams in good form. As usual though you'd imagine it will be really tight.

The last 9 meetings in all competitions have either been drawn or settled by a single goal, and neither team has scored more than once in any of them.

I'll go 1-1 again here.

3 hours ago, Div said:

Think this should be a decent game with both teams in good form. As usual though you'd imagine it will be really tight.

The last 9 meetings in all competitions have either been drawn or settled by a single goal, and neither team has scored more than once in any of them.

I'll go 1-1 again here.

Makes perfect sense. 

St Mirren 5 - 2 Livingston 

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think to call Livi a 'big strong physical team' is a bit rich, particularly as we have Dunne, Gallagher, Gogic, Erhahon, Main and Ayunga in the spine of the side who all fit that description and are reliant on mixing it up.

Pretty fair comment. Both teams might actually be fairly similar, not that I've seen St Mirren this season. We've got big guys that are phenomenal with the ball at their feet in Nouble and Moyo. 

A physical team that can play good to decent football is pretty much the blueprint for success outside of Hearts/Hibs/Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen where those finances can afford more in the quality side of things

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think to call Livi a 'big strong physical team' is a bit rich, particularly as we have Dunne, Gallagher, Gogic, Erhahon, Main and Ayunga in the spine of the side who all fit that description and are reliant on mixing it up.

It's just something that got used the season we won the play offs, and it has stuck ever since. By the play off final some pundits realized there was a bit more to us though. Back then it was all about getting the ball as quickly as possible up the pitch, then winning 2nd balls to get it down and play it in the opposition's half. Martindale has changed it the last couple of seasons, particularly this one, trying to play it more out from the back. We've got some really good ball players in Nouble and Bahamboula, that like taking players on and opening up space in the final third.

As always with Livi though, it's all about work rate and team work, no room for prima donnas with Martindale, anyone that doesn't pull their weight is out of the team, and booted into touch if they don't change their attitude.

Hope the Buddies have good drainage on their pitch.Chucking it down all day and apparently carrying on into tomorrow. Two teams on decent form,albeit Saints will still be on a high from their previous game.But Livi will be up for this as well which means a cracker in store🤣.Good odds for a 1_1.Worth a punt.👍.

Game will be on I’m sure, but it is a bit wild out there. A wet and windy game against Livingston doesn’t have all the makings of a classic…
The way Robinson set the team up it suits us to have between 20-30% possession. We don’t want the ball, as we can’t counter attack when we have it. Sit deep against us and we will struggle, push up against us and we will create chances.
We had 30% possessions against United, won 3-0, 30% against Hibs won 1-0, 20% against Celtic won 2-0. We had 55% possession against St Johnstone and lost 3-0.
I’m expecting Livingston to set up more like St Johnstone than any of the teams we beat, so this will be a tougher test for us than any of those city sides we papped easy.
A draw would be okay I think. We haven’t drawn a single game in all competitions this season and I’m kind of missing grinding out a point. Today is the day, the ugliest 0-0 you have ever seen. Back row of the stand getting soaked with horizontal rain. Glorious.

On 29/09/2022 at 20:44, djchapsticks said:

Livie are in the top three clubs with most fouls committed . Livie have two red cards so far top the red card chart. If you go through stats Livie are a physical team. Saints are more physical this season but that's not the point I was making. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Livie are in the top three clubs with most fouls committed . Livie have two red cards so far top the red card chart. If you go through stats Livie are a physical team. Saints are more physical this season but that's not the point I was making. 

Agreed. Livie and Saintes have to be physical to survive in this league.