European nations we rarely play

Donathan

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

In light of the rumoured friendly in Diyarbakir against Turkey, I realised we have only ever played them once, another friendly back in 1960. Absolutely incredible that we’ve never been drawn against them in the dozens of qualifying campaigns since.

What other UEFA members have we rarely played?

Finland: Never?

We've definitely played Finland.

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We've definitely played Finland.

I've a memory of Duncan Shearer and John McGinlay both scoring in a game against Finland, but it looks like it was a dream  :lol:

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've a memory of Duncan Shearer and John McGinlay both scoring in a game against Finland, but it looks like it was a dream  :lol:

We played them back in the early 60s in World cup qualifiers.

I have absolutely no memory of the more recent games! :lol:

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Bulgaria, Euro 88 qualifying. Hearts 'legend' Gary Mackay scored in a 1-0 away win which helped seal qualification for Ireland.

I have vague memories of McCoist breaking his leg in that game, can any P&Bers confirm?

Yeah he did. In the 5-0 to Portugal in 93.

Edited by TheScarf

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We played them back in the early 60s in World cup qualifiers.

I have absolutely no memory of the more recent games! :lol:

The Euro 96 games were when I first became aware of a certain Mr Mixu-Matti Paatelainen!

Edit: wait, that's baws, my memory's all over the place tonight!  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

IIRC, he thought that he heard the ref's whistle. Unfortunately, he was wrong, and looking at it again, he stopped one of the Swiss players from being through on goal, so the ref didn't have much choice. It was stupid, but I doubt it was actually deliberate, as the game was virtually lost at 3-1 with less than ten minutes to go.

I'd either forgotten or didn't know that Gough quit after the hammering by Portugal, claiming that the gameplan had been based on a chat with a Lisbon taxi driver. Sounds like bollocks until you remember some of the other ridiculous attempts at "preparation" that Scotland sides have endured down the decades  :unsure:

Whatever the reason was it must have been pretty bad as Craig Brown refused to pick Gough 

Brown feels justified in excluding Gough from Scotland squad

Wont explain why and I’m not ITK 

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

In light of the rumoured friendly in Diyarbakir against Turkey, I realised we have only ever played them once, another friendly back in 1960. Absolutely incredible that we’ve never been drawn against them in the dozens of qualifying campaigns since.

What other UEFA members have we rarely played?

Albania: 2018-19 nations league

Andorra: I can’t remember us ever playing them?

Armenia: Current nations league

Austria: 2022 WCQ and a fairly common friendly opponent 

Azebaijan: Never? 

Belarus: 2006 WCQ (1 point out of 6!!) 

Belgium: 2002 and 2014 WCQ and Euro 2020 qualifying 

Bosnia: Never IIRC

Bulgaria: Think we played them in a friendly in Japan in 2005?

Croatia: 2002 and 2014 WCQ and of course the Euros 

Cyprus: Euro 2020 qualifying

Czech Republic: I think we had them in 2010 WCQ (or Euro 2012?), the 2020-21 UNL and Euro 2020 finals. Also possibly a friendly under Craig Levein? 

Denmark: 2022 WCQ and possibly some friendlies this century 

England: Euro 2020, 2018 WCQ, a pair of friendlies around 10 years ago 

Estonia: Never in my memory but I’ve heard of the incident where they didn’t turn up to a game against us

Faroe Islands: Fairly common opponent. I think we’ve had them in three qualifying groups this century (2002, 2008 and 2022)

Finland: Never?

France: 2008 qualifiers and I think we played them in friendlies in Vogts’ first match and again in 2016

Georgia: Far too common an opponent. 2008 and 2016 qualifiers and we lost there both times.

Germany: 2004 and 2016 qualifiers.

Gibraltar: 2016 qualifiers. 

Greece: Never IIRC?

Hungary: Never competitively IIRC but I think they did hump us in a friendly under Vogts

Iceland: 2002 qualifiers and I want to say 2010. We had a decent record against them and thankfully avoided them when they were good for a period. 

Israel: They’d have been a prime candidate for this list as recently as 2017 and we then proceeded to draw them for two straight UNL groups, a WCQ group, and a ECQ playoff. 7 games in three years after not seeing them for decades. 

Italy: 2006 and 2008 qualifiers. Friendly in 2016.

Kazakhstan: 2020 qualifiers (didn’t end well) 

Kosovo: Never

Latvia: 2002 qualifying. 

Liechtenstein: 2010/2012 qualifying (I get mixed up between those)

Lithuania: Probably our most common competitive opponent of the 21st century. We’ve had them in four different groups and only had maximum points once. 

Luxembourg: No memory of competitive games but we played them in a pre Euros friendly. 

Malta: 2018 qualifiers.

Moldova: 2006 and 2022 qualifiers.

Montenegro: Never

Netherlands: 2004 playoffs and 2010 qualifying, plus a friendly before the euros 

North Macedonia: 2010 and 2014 qualifiers. Annoying opponent. 

Northern Ireland: Fairly common friendly opponent this century but no memory of competitive fixtures 

Norway: Had them twice in groups around 10-15 years ago. 

Poland: 2016 qualifiers

Portugal: Never?

Ireland: Current UNL and 2016 qualifiers plus a few friendlies 

Romania: Never

Russia: 2020 qualifiers 

San Marino: 2002 qualifiers and 2020

Serbia: 2020 playoffs 

Slovakia: 2018 qualifiers and previous UNL

Slovenia: 2006 and 2018 qualifiers 

Spain: 2012 qualifiers?

Sweden: No memory of competitive bouts but I think a few friendlies 

Switzerland: Never?

Turkey: Once in a friendly in 1960

Ukraine: Three times this year alone

Wales: 2014 qualifiers and quite a few friendlies 

Eh?  Most of your "nevers"I have seen at Hampden   Apologies if you are only 14.......

7 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

We haven't played Azerbaijan, would I be right in saying?

Other teams I've never seen us play (since 2004) I haven't seen mentioned:

Latvia

Greece

Bosnia

Kosovo

Romania

We played Romania in Euro 92 qualifying.

We played Bosnia in Euro 2000 qualifying.

We played Greece in Euro 96 qualifying.

We played Latvia in WC 98 qualifying.

You people are clearly too young.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

We played Romania in Euro 92 qualifying.

We played Bosnia in Euro 2000 qualifying.

We played Greece in Euro 96 qualifying.

We played Latvia in WC 98 qualifying.

You people are clearly too young.

I hoped the (before 2004) would've established this.

Had the "you're too young to be an adult" thought when a grown man at the game last week didn't remember us beating France. 😪

Imagine living with @HibeeJibee and his library of programmes!

1 minute ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I hoped the (before 2004) would've established this.

Had the "you're too young to be an adult" thought when a grown man at the game last week didn't remember us beating France. 😪

Which time?

My recollection is that in the Switzerland game Gough claimed that the ball took an awkward bounce off a water sprinkler head and he misjudged the flight. He handled the ball and was sent off.

Craig Brown was Assistant Manager when we were thrashed by Portugal. He was given a lift to the stadium by Bobby Robson who was manager of Sporting Lisbon at the time. Brown passed on this local knowledge from his "taxi driver" - maybe Robson's insight was worthless or Gough dismissed it but we were an absolute shambles and fortunate just to lose five.

My recollection is that in the Switzerland game Gough claimed that the ball took an awkward bounce off a water sprinkler head and he misjudged the flight. He handled the ball and was sent off.
Craig Brown was Assistant Manager when we were thrashed by Portugal. He was given a lift to the stadium by Bobby Robson who was manager of Sporting Lisbon at the time. Brown passed on this local knowledge from his "taxi driver" - maybe Robson's insight was worthless or Gough dismissed it but we were an absolute shambles and fortunate just to lose five.

A water sprinkler head on the actual pitch? Is that a thing? I'd have assumed they'd be withdrawn before kick off?