Amateur Football Reconstruction

Crazy Feet

All these teams could have existed together in a association like the 1 I previously touched on.

The unfortunate thing with teams like the ones you mentioned at the end of your post will always hapen in the Amateur game, dont think we will ever get through a season where teams dont fold. 

The question is how do we get interest back in the game to keep/ attract Clubs and players?

Its a bit embarrassing that the powers that be couldnt agree to move forward together for the greater good of the game imo.

1 hour ago, Redondo said:

All these teams could have existed together in a association like the 1 I previously touched on.

The unfortunate thing with teams like the ones you mentioned at the end of your post will always hapen in the Amateur game, dont think we will ever get through a season where teams dont fold. 

The question is how do we get interest back in the game to keep/ attract Clubs and players?

Its a bit embarrassing that the powers that be couldnt agree to move forward together for the greater good of the game imo.

How does amalgamating leagues and just proceeding as normal otherwise generate further interest in football? Are young guys who have just left 20s or 21s really going to be motivated to keep playing because the SAFL and Central have merged or the Caley have recruited a few new teams? The powers at be are missing the elephant in the room with the fact society has changed and moved on and many young guys simply don't want to give up a full Saturday afternoon every single week to play football anymore.

35s and Sat Morning are thriving. The Saturday afternoon leagues should be asking themselves why is this? The answer is staring them in the face.

Surely u try get all the Clubs together and singing of the same page 1st then explore making kick off times more flexible to make the league appealing to the masses, im assuming the committees would have discussed this when the propsals were initially discussed???

People keep saying leagues joining is not the answer, I never said it was a bulletproof way of solving the ammie games problems, just like teams jumping leagues is probably not the answer either , just another league with the same problems. 

Be interesting to see how the Drum get on in the Caley , there going to have a hell of alot of journeys through Stirling way in that 1st division! 

17 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Surely u try get all the Clubs together and singing of the same page 1st then explore making kick off times more flexible to make the league appealing to the masses, im assuming the committees would have discussed this when the propsals were initially discussed???

People keep saying leagues joining is not the answer, I never said it was a bulletproof way of solving the ammie games problems, just like teams jumping leagues is probably not the answer either , just another league with the same problems. 

Be interesting to see how the Drum get on in the Caley , there going to have a hell of alot of journeys through Stirling way in that 1st division! 

Will be a tough league. Be interesting to see if all of their players fancy taking a year out of playing in a top league also before they (hopefully) get promoted to the Caley Prem.

Drum have a 21s side but standard of 21s is quite poor at the moment and their 21s team wouldn't get near promotion next season.

Got agree with Crazy Feet here. I don't think joining leagues together solves the issues within the game. Commitment and time is a huge issue within the game nowadays. Looking at the two leagues now I have to say that the Caledonian League does look like its shaping up quite nicely with what should be a competitive couple of divisions. Time will tell if the merger with SAFL and Central will be a success as I can't say I know enough about the SAFL, so I'm not going to be disrespectful to the SAFL. That leagues main thing is to keep a hold of the big three. And with rumours circulating regarding both Lesmahagow and St Pattricks possibly looking at the West of Scotland, that could be a huge loss. However no more than rumours.

Really interesting discussion. I don't think mergers will save amateur football but I do think having fewer organisations makes it easier to come to agreements and decisions to help save the game. I don't think disagreements over mergers and teams jumping between leagues is particularly helpful. I also still think it would be really interesting to have the main west leagues all merged. So many leagues lost in the west over the past few years and can't see how that will change in future years so we will get there one way or another.

How you actually address the issue of fewer young people taking part in amateur football is a much bigger question with no easy answer and possibly no solution.

Edited by stanley

Wondering where  Lesmahagow Amateurs would play their home games if they moved up to the WoS? Anyone heard? Could Lesmahagow support two clubs in the league? 

How many new clubs can the WoS take in this summer? There's no maximum number according to what's been posted elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

I think if you read between the lines in this article St Pat's are definitely thinking about stepping up a level. 

No brainer for them. The way the game is going they’ll be better off in the pyramid system. 

As early adopters they’ll be a couple levels above their traditional rivals by the time they all find themselves in the pyramid.

Looking at the West bottom division, you’d find it hard to argue against St Pats being one of the top sides.

Other traditional “big” amateur sides should be looking to do the same. Bannockburn a prime candidate.

Look out for sides like EKYM moving in the near future.

On 24/02/2023 at 08:25, Crazy Feet said:

I think if you read between the lines in this article St Pat's are definitely thinking about stepping up a level. 

Think they need to get this bit sorted before a WoS application is likely to be successful:

...“In my 18 years of being away I can’t believe that they don’t have a pitch to call their own.

“It’s something we’ve spoken about at great length. We’ve had some encouraging talks on that.

“I believe St Patrick’s FPs need a pitch. That would further the club’s links with the community, but it would also create a pathway for the talent...

On 26/02/2023 at 16:55, LongTimeLurker said:

Think they need to get this bit sorted before a WoS application is likely to be successful:

...“In my 18 years of being away I can’t believe that they don’t have a pitch to call their own.

“It’s something we’ve spoken about at great length. We’ve had some encouraging talks on that.

“I believe St Patrick’s FPs need a pitch. That would further the club’s links with the community, but it would also create a pathway for the talent...

Dumbarton or Vale of Leven might take them in as tenants until they get their own park sorted?

The park they used to play their home games at, Posties Park, has had a bit of money spent on redeveloping it. New gym, changing facilities and an athletics track are currently under construction. Might be an option for them but would likely need further money spent on it to get it up to Wos standard