The Last Of Us

capt_oats

I have a small gripe and I'm doing the thing I said I wouldn't and that's comparing it to the game.

Even though I think Bella Ramsey is brilliant as Ellie, I don't remember her being quite so snarky towards Joel as much. She was much more likeable from the off imo, she's actually a bit of a little shit in this. 

On 25/01/2023 at 18:58, Squalor Vic said:

I have a small gripe and I'm doing the thing I said I wouldn't and that's comparing it to the game.

Even though I think Bella Ramsey is brilliant as Ellie, I don't remember her being quite so snarky towards Joel as much. She was much more likeable from the off imo, she's actually a bit of a little shit in this. 

Aye? I think she's nailing it so far. Loving the attitude between the pair of them so far and if anything they've dialed Ellie's language down, compared to the game :lol:

I think they've made Joel slightly less snarky towards her so far so perhaps Ellie's 'snark' is more noticeable than it was in the game. 

We're in an odd situation. I've never played the game and am just watching this as a TV show. Enjoying it, it's well written and well made and now we seem to have boiled it down to the actual storyline.

The wife on the other hand has played the game (platinumed it, if that is a thing) and is taking a bit of umbrage at the show. Thinks the casting is "wrong" and the interactions between them not quite right.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We're in an odd situation. I've never played the game and am just watching this as a TV show. Enjoying it, it's well written and well made and now we seem to have boiled it down to the actual storyline.

The wife on the other hand has played the game (platinumed it, if that is a thing) and is taking a bit of umbrage at the show. Thinks the casting is "wrong" and the interactions between them not quite right.

As I said in a previous post, I kinda feel the same about the interactions between Joel and Ellie at the moment. Think the casting is spot on though, really enjoying all the performances so far. Anna Torv is great 

I was really worried about this but I think it's fantastic so far. Casting seems good and it seems to be following the game really closely, as folk have mentioned some of the shots and the way the characters move is so close to the game. Hope it continues at this level. 

I only watched the first episode because it was being so heavily pushed by Sky on their planner, and I was looking for something to watch. I was gripped from the word go and the episode flew by despite being well over an hour long. It’s very rare that a television series will get my attention so quickly, I think the only other programme that has had me so invested from the first episode has been Game of Thrones. 

I also had no idea the television series had been adapted from a game until I watched a YouTube video about the opening episode. Going by the reviews from people who have played the game the team behind the show have done an amazing job. Pedro Pascal is brilliant in everything I’ve seen him in, but for some reason Bella Ramsey reminds me of Mhairi Black, the SNP MP, and that can be off putting. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Never played the game but enjoyed the first two episodes. In regard to this fungus thing it seems like it would be pretty easy to be infected by it. Not just by a bite, Joel got pretty close to one when they were inside the museum, it seems like the type of thing you could catch by touch or breathing in. 

Couple of deaths caught me by surprise I admit, wasn't expecting them at all

Saw a lot of hype for episode 3 as being something special and while I thought it was good I don't think it lived up to that much hype.

Going to be interesting to see the reaction to it and whether there's much of a difference between those that have played the game or not as this is definitely the first episode that significantly differs from the game.

Don't want to risk spoiling anything but besides some broad similarities I think Bill is a completely different character from the game to the show and despite being a fan of Nick Offerman I think I prefer Bill from the game.

12 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Never played the game but enjoyed the first two episodes. In regard to this fungus thing it seems like it would be pretty easy to be infected by it. Not just by a bite, Joel got pretty close to one when they were inside the museum, it seems like the type of thing you could catch by touch or breathing in. 

Couple of deaths caught me by surprise I admit, wasn't expecting them at all

In the game apparently people go about in gasmasks. Even then in reality you'd have to deal with spores covering clothes etc. 

For the sake of the show they gone with the zombie bite spreads infection for the simplicity of it. I can see them mixing it up in future. 

I found this tweet rather funny in an otherwise quite emotional scene. I've no idea if this is true or not. Can't find a source or if it's just an assumption made. Having seen enough blooper reals and interviews I can certainly believe it. The man's a terror on set getting people to break character.

Scene from Episode 3

Spoiler

Episode three was wonderful imo, completely out of the blue and didn't want it to end and go back to what I'd been enjoying so much before. Did find it quite strange though in an episode that was such a beautifully written depiction of a relationship that they seemed to imply that Frank deduced Bill was gay from his knowing what wine to pair with rabbit and playing the piano