The Last Of Us

capt_oats

Thought the first episode was very, very good.

Absolutely loved the game, so have been buzzing for this for a while.

Knew what to expect scene for scene in parts and it still got to me. 

Edited by AuAl

Well that was tremendous, sitting here thinking sony should have given early access to it for people who platinum trophied both the games.

Going to watch it week by week and not binge it.  Glad they are keeping it very similar to the game, opening scene was really well done with the extra bits added. Made sense to change the Robert scene a bit as well.

Watched it after taking the wee one to nursery yesterday and then at night again with the Mrs. It was a fantastic first episode. The actor they got to play sarah really helped flesh out that part of the story brilliantly and they didn't stray too far from the game story wise. Alot of the scenes being identical to the game such as the truck scene as they leave the house really helped the immersion in the same way it did in the game. I see it's already the top rated show of all time on imdb and while I think it will drop from that, I expect it to stay near the top. I think the criticism Ellie's casting has had especially was dispelled with that first episode. The Mrs knows bits from me talking about it for the past decade but she was hooked after the opening 10 minutes as well. 

Aye that was really well done. So many scenes were practically identical to the game which I absolutely loved. Hopefully more of the same along the way, though I appreciate some things will have to be new. 

Ellie has instantly got the attitude and Joel is the grump. I expect the harshness from him towards her will come with the next episode. 

Cannot wait 'them' to make an appearance now. Though I expect we'll hear them first :D

A wonderful first episode. The out of focus shot of the old neighbour starting to turn was a great touch. There were times it was almost shot-for-shot with the game, the scene in the truck particularly. And even though I new exactly what was coming that scene with Sarah is still traumatic. 

Looking forward to more people learning the absolute fear this sound brings upon you. 

I have never played the game, but watched this. Didn't know the story of the game so judging this purely as a TV show.

The first episode was excellent. John Hannah's bit at the start gave a wee preview of what it would be about. I honestly thought the whole thing was going to be set in 2003, maybe about the Bush government dealing with the fungus as the pandemic emerged 9sort of a mirror of when Covid struck). Was not expecting what happened. 30 minutes in and I was wrung out.

I wondered where the show went from there - heartbreaking. Then the flash forward.

Very enjoyable.

5 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Well they did the clickers really well. 

Yeah another good episode. Honestly loving the little joelisms from the games that Pedro has encorporated into the character. The way him and Ellie move around something in one scene was excellent. Glad they've done it the way they have and not went and tried to rewrite it completely like every other game adaptation has in the past. 

Having never played the game I can't speak about it's relation to it's source material.  After the first 20 odd mins I found the first episode kinda plodded along with elements that were no doubt important to the game.  It picked up near the end right enough.  But I didn't think it deserved the gushing of praise it got.  It got a 6/10 for me.

Episode 2 I really enjoyed.  Enough character development, decent mix of action and horror.  In a video game relation it really reminded me of Half Life: Alyx.  Especially the Jeff level.  If you know, you know.  Ep1 was a bit to long imo.  Ep 2 length was just fine.  A solid 8/10.

Edited by Lofarl

Aye that was excellent as well. Clickers were excellently done. That whole sequence from when they entered the museum was tense as f**k.

I wonder if they're gonna to have the wee flashbacks to the time of the initial outbreak before every episode. I think that would be class.

On 23/01/2023 at 21:16, Lofarl said:

Having never played the game I can't speak about it's relation to it's source material.  After the first 20 odd mins I found the first episode kinda plodded along with elements that were no doubt important to the game.  It picked up near the end right enough.  But I didn't think it deserved the gushing of praise it got.  It got a 6/10 for me.

Ep1 was a bit to long imo. 

I'd say it was the complete opposite reason tbh. The first 20 or so minutes from the show were pretty much brand new and never featured in the game. We never had any kind of interaction with neighbours. I think the whole point of that opening was to ram in as much Sarah as possible so the audience could feel heartbroken. In the game it was a lot more intimate between Joel and Sarah and it was devastating when she died. It's obviously easier to get that when you're in control of players in a game I think so the show had to give her a lot more screen time for the audience to get attached in such a short period of time.