The Last Of Us

capt_oats

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I see. Do you think we will get to a time when the show needs to start producing original content that hasn’t came from the video game? The show seems to be extremely popular and there’s a lot of hype around it so you would think HBO would like to get more than 2 seasons from it. 

You'd think so but I think they said in the official podcast that they didn't really want to start making content up that isn't based off the games so I kind of got the impression that they were only going to make the show to cover them. So sounds like 3 seasons might be it.

As you say you'd imagine HBO and Sony would be desperate to get as much from it as they can.

Druckmann has said that he's only going to make a third game once he has a good idea for it and unless they're already a couple of years into making it I don't think a new game would arrive in time for the show to take content from without there being a fairly long gap.

On 01/03/2023 at 03:50, grumswall said:

... I will riot if they don't have the giraffes! 

Jayzus, don't tell me they're infected too? *

* yes I've never played the game so have no idea what you are talking about.

Excellent stuff. What a show, what a story. 

Whole thing has been very faithful to the game while also expanding on the right things at the right times in very good ways. Loved it, buzzing for season 2.

Looks like the talk of more than one season to cover the second game is pretty much official now and given how good the ratings are for the show its hard to imagine things changing enough in season 2 to stop a third season happening.

21 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There was another video game cameo as Laura Bailey plays one of the nurses.

Yeah that was pretty cool. I remembered she voiced some random characters in the first game but didn't realise the nurse was one of them. Wonder if they'll give her another, more sizable cameo role in the second series too.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

They did really well getting an actress for Ellie's mum that looked really like her. I wasn't sure at first whether that opening scene was a flashback or a flashforward.

The actress was Ashley Johnson who voiced Ellie in the game. All the way through I've been thinking the opposite - that they did really well getting an actress to play Ellie who looked and sounded like the game Ellie. 

It was a very good finale, rounding off what’s been an excellent season. I do feel it was a bit rushed, I would’ve liked more time to see Ellie & Joel’s relationship build - and I think the finale in particular needed to be longer than it was. 

Very few complaints though, can’t wait for Season 2.

28 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

To the gamers: when you finished the first game, did you know a part 2 was coming (or was already out)? 

Was about 7 years between the two games so the ending felt like the ending. Which I loved at the time and still do. 

I was concerned about the short running time of the last ep but I thought they aced it. 

On 14/03/2023 at 07:38, Boghead ranter said:

They did really well getting an actress for Ellie's mum that looked really like her. I wasn't sure at first whether that opening scene was a flashback or a flashforward.

There was a point when I was watching that I genuinely thought they had taken Bella Ramseys face and used SFX to create the actress that played her mum, using some AI technology that I didn’t know about. What a weird coincidence that she was the voice of Ellie in the games long before Ramsey was cast for the TV show. 

I’ve really enjoyed the show, having never even heard of the game until I got a couple of episodes in. I must admit I was quite disappointed with the ending as I was looking for more of a rounded conclusion, although after speaking to a couple of guys in work who have played the games they said the first chapter ends in exactly the same way, so it didn’t come as much as a disappointment to them as it did to me. I understand it sets up the next season quite nicely but after investing my time in 9 episodes worth the ending seemed a bit flat on the face of it. 

On 14/03/2023 at 18:38, Boghead ranter said:

They did really well getting an actress for Ellie's mum that looked really like her. 

That's precisely what my wife said after her scene had finished.

I was disappointed with the ending. Disappointed that it was finished and there's no more for ages. Great tv.