The Last Of Us

capt_oats

Great episode. Think I'd rather have seen that play out over 2 eps than the Henry/Sam & Kansas City storyline all the same. David and his group were far more interesting than Melanie Lynskey's character. Kind of telling that she was created for the show and has been the weakest part of it.

Bella Ramsey was incredible this week.

I reckon it'll be 90 mins like the first episode. It'll need to be. 

The show has been excellent but still has its flaws. I don't think we've seen enough of just Joel and Ellie together, seeing them bond more. I think the KC story was a mistake to stretch over two episodes and, even though we don't want to see the walking dead again, a few more infected at times to remind us they are still out there would be good. 

This episode 8 was a massive part of the game and built up the trust between David and Ellie more before the 'reveal' I think they missed a trick not doing that.

34 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

I reckon it'll be 90 mins like the first episode. It'll need to be. 

The show has been excellent but still has its flaws. I don't think we've seen enough of just Joel and Ellie together, seeing them bond more. I think the KC story was a mistake to stretch over two episodes and, even though we don't want to see the walking dead again, a few more infected at times to remind us they are still out there would be good. 

This episode 8 was a massive part of the game and built up the trust between David and Ellie more before the 'reveal' I think they missed a trick not doing that.

They released the episode lengths before the series started. Assuming nothing has changed episode 9 is the shortest of them all at 43 minutes. 

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/how-long-are-the-last-of-us-episodes/

Impressed they fitted all that in to one episode tbh. Have to admit I was gutted we never got to see some kind of scene after the deer with Ellie trapped in the warehouse with the psycho battering off all the infected. Was a really intense part of the game and I think it would have been incredible if they had done it in the show; especially if they had featured a bloater. 

It's all about the character development for me but the Clickers in particular have been seriously underused IMO. I expect they'll play a prominent part at some stage in the finale. The diner where she killed him off was fantastically similar to the one in the game as well. 

The first "baby girl" did give me a wee lump in the throat, I have to admit. 

Have to admit I'm surprised how little they've done with the "fungal network" thing. I thought they would maybe just ignore it as and when it suits but pretty much since the episode they introduced it it's never been referenced again.

I am surprised as well just how little the infected have been in it too. They've used them well when they have though and maybe just don't want to have them just being randomly offed in every episode in case it lessens their effect which I think kind of happened with shows like The Walking Dead.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Impressed they fitted all that in to one episode tbh. Have to admit I was gutted we never got to see some kind of scene after the deer with Ellie trapped in the warehouse with the psycho battering off all the infected. Was a really intense part of the game and I think it would have been incredible if they had done it in the show; especially if they had featured a bloater. 

That was great as it built up the trust between Ellie and David and the reveal was a bit of a shock. The show basically had a big flashing arrow saying 'bad guy' pointing at him from the minute he appeared.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am they didn't give that part of the game it's dues and wasted time in and around KC 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Maybe The Walking Dead is for you.

Maybe one of the most insulting things I've ever read on this forum, tbh.

The series so far has been excellent. I've played the first game, but not the second, and it was years and years ago, so there's lots of bits that happen that twig one of my memories and prompt a "Leo Di Caprio pointing at TV" reaction. The gradual building of the relationship between Joel and Ellie has been the highlight for me, as I seem to remember it being in the game as well overall. Like others, would have loved a couple more episodes to flesh (pun intended) everything out even more, but no complaints so far, and assume there'll be at least a second series covering game 2 as well.

Re-play of the first and play of the second very much in the plans. 

Edited by J_Stewart

I quite like that they've focused on the character development rather than having clickers etc running about constantly. The best part of the games is the story and if they'd had loads of encounters with them, I think it would have made for a poorer show. They've fleshed out the likes of Bill and Frank but could have gone further in ep 8. Even if there wasn't a blaoter involved, it could have really driven the peril Ellie was in home a bit more. I fucking love it all though and am unashamedly a complete fan boy. 

13 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Maybe one of the most insulting things I've ever read on this forum, tbh.

The series so far has been excellent. I've played the first game, but not the second, and it was years and years ago, so there's lots of bits that happen that twig one of my memories and prompt a "Leo Di Caprio pointing at TV" reaction. The gradual building of the relationship between Joel and Ellie has been the highlight for me, as I seem to remember it being in the game as well overall. Like others, would have loved a couple more episodes to flesh (pun intended) everything out even more, but no complaints so far, and assume there'll be at least a second series covering game 2 as well.

Re-play of the first and play of the second very much in the plans. 

Second season is already confirmed. Rumour I seen was that the second game will be split in to 2 separate seasons. 

For anyone who has played the game, will season 1 cover everything that has happened in the games so far? Will season 2 be new material or lifting from the original storyline as Season 1 has? 

I’ve really enjoyed the series so far, but the only thing that has slightly annoyed me is the amount of spoilers I’ve encountered, obviously due to the storyline already being out there. Some of the scenes that were meant to shock me have came as no surprise as I already knew the way the story was going due to Twitter, YouTube etc.

45 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

For anyone who has played the game, will season 1 cover everything that has happened in the games so far? Will season 2 be new material or lifting from the original storyline as Season 1 has? 

I’ve really enjoyed the series so far, but the only thing that has slightly annoyed me is the amount of spoilers I’ve encountered, obviously due to the storyline already being out there. Some of the scenes that were meant to shock me have came as no surprise as I already knew the way the story was going due to Twitter, YouTube etc.

Season 1 covers game 1 only. They've obviously not finalised everything for season 2 yet but the makers have said they think there's enough content in game 2 to cover more than one season of TV. 👍

23 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Season 1 covers game 1 only. They've obviously not finalised everything for season 2 yet but the makers have said they think there's enough content in game 2 to cover more than one season of TV. 👍

I see. Do you think we will get to a time when the show needs to start producing original content that hasn’t came from the video game? The show seems to be extremely popular and there’s a lot of hype around it so you would think HBO would like to get more than 2 seasons from it.