The Last Of Us

capt_oats

Another dose of trauma. When the carousel was playing The Cure's 'Just Like Heaven' as a big foreboding monster it was a sign of the misery to come. The way of injecting a well known 80s hit to signify things to come is brilliant.

One of the best series I've seen in years.

Edited by well fan for life

Another great episode. Thought Just Like Heaven was really well done on the Carousel. Heartbreaking stuff for Ellie again where we got to see her vulnerable side again I thought combined with her maturity in the final scene. 

Be interesting to see how they play it next week. 

Again, as someone who hasn't played the games, thought that episode was decent, knew exactly what was happening halfway through the Mall adventure and set the story out nicely for me by showing the incident that leads to finding out about the immunity.  I've said it every week since episode one but.... "looking forward to next week" is about the biggest compliment I can pay it.

I'm not into cinematography, and only notice music playing half the time and don't look for plot holes etc, you might say I'm a "brainless watcher", if it keeps me interested, I'm in, and this has certainly done that so far.

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Bella Ramsey's reaction to stuff is phenomenal, her scream when Henry shot himself and her anger when she realised she was bitten was incredible.

She's done an incredible job as Ellie, despite the backlash her getting the role got online. 

It was a good episode, but with so much story to tell in two episodes, I don't think it was really needed. I will riot if they don't have the giraffes! 

13 hours ago, grumswall said:

It was a good episode, but with so much story to tell in two episodes, I don't think it was really needed. I will riot if they don't have the giraffes! 

Yeah it does feel like it's going to be an episode short if I'm being honest.

We should have faith though, they have got this spot on so far 

Think there was too much on the Kansas City double episode. Could have done it in one with less about the brother sister story and more focus on Henry and Sam travelling with Ellie and Joel, maybe more runners and clickers on the journey to give higher suspense and even more heartbreak after them getting through all that together. Then more room for Left Behind DLC and more time for giraffes and such. And the university section of the game was more or less passed over. Even the section where you raid the school with Bill could have been something squeezed in to build up their relationship with Joel and Ellie. Maybe all that would he too much tragedy for the viewers who haven't played the game though!

We all know (well, most of us) what the last two episodes likely consist of and there's ALOT to cram in. One less Kansas City episode would have given more time to this section of the story. Shows that the 9 episode run by the studio or whoever clearly wasn't enough and a 12 episode run would have been perfect imo.

I will say its been brilliant though. Brutal on the heart strings and I've played the game about 6 times.

Episode 7 was utter garbage....just wasted an hour of my life on that. As was episode 3 which had nothing to do with the story. After the massive cliff hanger at the end of episode 6  I couldn't wait for 7. Getting a bit pissed off and losing interest in it now. 

On 04/03/2023 at 11:24, wellboy1991 said:

Not going to lie, this felt like a proper filler episode this week. First one I’ve actually picked up my phone and been scrolling during with very little interest. 

Just a bit meh.

16 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Episode 7 was utter garbage....just wasted an hour of my life on that. As was episode 3 which had nothing to do with the story. After the massive cliff hanger at the end of episode 6  I couldn't wait for 7. Getting a bit pissed off and losing interest in it now. 

Character development not your cup of tea then guys? :lol:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Character development not your cup of tea then guys? :lol:

Far from it. Interesting character development can enhance any story and show. I certainly didn’t feel like this series or even the episode benefited from dragging this out.

As I said felt like a  filler rather than development. 

12 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Far from it. Interesting character development can enhance any story and show. I certainly didn’t feel like this series or even the episode benefited from dragging this out.

As I said felt like a  filler rather than development. 

It was major development. For one we get a look at Ellie developing as a young girl and finding her sexuality - that revelation has no bearing on the story but for a character is pretty big. We also see first hand her losing the person she was closest to in the whole world. She's already mentioned this earlier on in the show so it was a good call back where we got to see it play out and if anything it's made her more vulnerable as a person from the viewers point of view. More so now that Joel is severely injured. I don't know how they'll do the next part differently from the game but the last episode shows us why she'll go to lengths to save the only person in the world who now matters to her as she can't lose another person. I think it highlighted that she'll be dealing with a lot of guilt as well given she survived and her friend didn't. 

I don't think it would have had the same kind of impact if they did a 15 minute flashback. 

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It was major development. For one we get a look at Ellie developing as a young girl and finding her sexuality - that revelation has no bearing on the story but for a character is pretty big. We also see first hand her losing the person she was closest to in the whole world. She's already mentioned this earlier on in the show so it was a good call back where we got to see it play out and if anything it's made her more vulnerable as a person from the viewers point of view. More so now that Joel is severely injured. I don't know how they'll do the next part differently from the game but the last episode shows us why she'll go to lengths to save the only person in the world who now matters to her as she can't lose another person. I think it highlighted that she'll be dealing with a lot of guilt as well given she survived and her friend didn't. 

I don't think it would have had the same kind of impact if they did a 15 minute flashback. 

For me it is something that could have been developed and incorporated over a few episodes with some flashbacks if you want to put it that way. Essentially a full episode just seemed to drag, in my opinion. 

Again as I said initially the fact it didn’t have me gripped or even fully invested was a disappointment.

Pretty good episode 8. Liked it a fair bit more than 7. Haven't really had too many complaints about the series. The only real criticisms I've had is more that I've preferred the way the game did certain things rather than actual real issues with the episodes.

I think both episodes 7 and 8 suffered with feeling a bit rushed compared to how they're done in the game but short of every episode being an hour and a half long I'm not sure how much they can do about it. I assume the budget is pretty big for the show and so they probably weren't willing to stretch it to 12-13 episodes which maybe in an ideal world may have been the best thing.