Dundee United v St Johnstone 1/10/22

Doubting the appointment of Fox already. Fancy playing two right backs and not telling them it was supposed to be 3 at the back. And then leaving the same 11 on the pitch at the start of the second half, and not making any planned changes until the 68th minute. Apart from Anaku, who ran out of steam, our better performers were the substitutes.

Good finish from May for the first, it seemed. And Ryan McGowan took the piss out of our feeble midfield.

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Doubting the appointment of Fox already. Fancy playing two right backs and not telling them it was supposed to be 3 at the back. And then leaving the same 11 on the pitch at the start of the second half, and not making any planned changes until the 68th minute. Apart from Anaku, who ran out of steam, our better performers were the substitutes.

Good finish from May for the first, it seemed. And Ryan McGowan took the piss out of our feeble midfield.

Liam Fox was undoubtedly a bizarre appointment. His only managerial gig to date he was chased out of Cowdenbeath with a win percentage of 20%. Ross may have had a poor start but at least he's an established manager with a decent record.

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Remember though, Fox was the outstanding candidate for the job out of how many applicants and after how many interviews?

No, seriously, how many?

19 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I heard his post match interview on Sportsound and he sounded like some random United employee put in front of the mic to blether pish. Weird.

United strike me as an even more extreme version of saints from last season - a team tied to a system they are nowhere near equipped to play. Centre halves looked totally exposed and there was gaps all over the place the first hour. Flat going forward too - not surprised the goal came from a mistake. Can see how they lose 7s and 9s.

From a saints point of view, further growth on the momentum. May was terrific and the game suited him perfectly. McGowan was the force in the middle if the park United missed. Big disappointment was that there was any sort of nervousness towards the end because the game should have been dead by then. Feel I'm always targeting him but I don't really see the point in Crawford coming on unless going to 5-2-3.  McLennan was the only sub I felt I could understand the thinking behind.

Eta - what a great assist from May at the second. The position he picked up, the vision and the pasd

Edited by nelsjfc

I’ve always loved Stevie May, now I’m back in love with him. What a rejuvination.

Didn’t enjoy the last 15 mins. Crawford wasn’t what was needed. Starting to feel a little less doomy about the season ahead. 

Experience isn't exciting but it's probably stabilised us. No one dreams of having Ryan McGowan in centre midfield for their team but he's used his knowhow to make it work so far. The others - Considine, Murphy, Clark - they just understand the game.

Wing backs are getting stronger in the system and it was clear after week one of the change that Stevie May in a two is like a different player. Dare I even suggest there might be goals in this player again?

Goalkeeper looks good as well.

Still issues that won't disappear overnight but it is better than last season.

United at moment look a bit like their team that went down. Some decent players but you can't hold a defensive line like they attempted and not risk punishment. As they, and we, know, falling into a rut creates big problems.

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

Experience isn't exciting but it's probably stabilised us. No one dreams of having Ryan McGowan in centre midfield for their team but he's used his knowhow to make it work so far. The others - Considine, Murphy, Clark - they just understand the game.

Wing backs are getting stronger in the system and it was clear after week one of the change that Stevie May in a two is like a different player. Dare I even suggest there might be goals in this player again?

Goalkeeper looks good as well.

Still issues that won't disappear overnight but it is better than last season.

United at moment look a bit like their team that went down. Some decent players but you can't hold a defensive line like they attempted and not risk punishment. As they, and we, know, falling into a rut creates big problems.

Agree with pretty much all of that.  If we keep to this system I'd be confident Stevie will get ten goals this season.  As for the "are we getting the Stevie of 2024 back" brigade,  possibly not- but the Stevie of 2014 probably doesn't make the assist for Hallberg.  He'd probably have tried a shot then.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

Agree with pretty much all of that.  If we keep to this system I'd be confident Stevie will get ten goals this season.  As for the "are we getting the Stevie of 2024 back" brigade,  possibly not- but the Stevie of 2014 probably doesn't make the assist for Hallberg.  He'd probably have tried a shot then.

He’s got 2 goals and 3 assists in the league so far in 8 games (not all of them starts). So he’s averaging a goal contribution every 1.5 games right now, not that it’ll continue but it’s the sort of form that we’ve been crying out to see since he first signed. Other teams fans might laugh at May since he’s not the player he once was and can look scared at times, but the one thing that’s never been in doubt is his footballing intelligence. He learnt to play a 2 striker formation alongside MacLean and it does show. He isn’t capable of playing upfront on his own, he never has been, but if you let him drop off and play where he wants knowing that you’ve got a central striker (in this case Clark and Murphy breaking from deep) then he’s a threat. He’s also got an advantage in that teams are quite quick to dismiss him as not being a threat based on previous seasons, so he can kind of sneak into positions unnoticed at times.  

Just now, PauloPerth said:

To win trophies?*

* this century 

That’s a fair point.  I suppose in return you’d get a support that was above three figures.  I’m still not sold on the idea though.

On the subject of supports, that felt like our lowest at Tannadice for quite a while.

I think across the board clubs are going to see smaller away supports with the current economic situation, especially as we now head into our crowded fixture schedule before the World Cup break .   And prices like those yesterday aren’t going to encourage many who are swithering.

Hopefully Saints see some benefit of our under 12’s go free; if folk are picking and choosing which away games to attend, then paying £25 is going to get the nod ahead of the likes of £60 yesterday for an adult and 2 kids.