Cove v Arbroath

Easiest 2-0 for Cove they ever had,

Awful performance, 5 subs at same time is just ridiculous,

Hilson left up top on his own all game,  take him off and put 2 up front, why not give him some support?

Taking Linn off takes away all our threat also,

Pressure building a bit, really poor

19 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Awful performance, 5 subs at same time is just ridiculous,

Been doing it for weeks now, throwing 3 subs on at 70 mins mark.

Said it before , I'll say it again, smacks of desperation and the total lack of a plan !!

Edited by DUAFC

16 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

How can a team with so much talent perform so badly ?

How can so many individual players play so bad ?

The idea of putting on 5 subs at the same time needs binned - immediately.

Bad apple in the camp ?

We are in massive trouble and anyone who doesn’t think so is utterly deluded.

We were played off the park today by a team playing basic, simple, fast wide, football. Cove are no great shakes but they could and should have won more comfortably.

Expected a battling and competitive match in all areas of the pitch but in reality Arbroath never got started, looked jaded and failed to create in open play. TOB and Scott Stewart clearly big misses.

Cove looked fairly bright, tried to use the flanks and attacked in numbers. I would agree with @Tattie36, we're no great shakes but improving slightly with a few new lads coming in and getting Blair back. Fyvie is integral to our central midfielder, got goals and more of an attacking threat and will strengthen us on his return. Saying that we're going to be in the bottom half, aiming for mid table mediocrity, and trying to stay above the drop.

Debutant Jack Sanders and Charlie Gilmour both look very solid additions who should help us tighten things up at the back.

Both sides clearly light on forward options. We have one natural goalscorer but without a target man or even any striker partnering him he's not as effective. Hilson put a decent shift in but isolated and also needs support. Linn looked lively and an out-ball. Ricky Little solid. Bitsindou is a unit and for me offered more than Jacobs.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

What a difference 3 points makes. I’ve gone from worrying about the long season ahead to genuinely looking forward to it. 

I was worried when I saw Fyvie was out, but thought Cove dominated and well deserved the win.

Thoughts on the new guys:

Sanders - looks the business. Big lad, but got pace too. Looks a born leader, could hear him talking all game, marshalled the defence well. Impressive. MOTM for me.

McClelland - good partnership with Sanders. I’d be happy with these two. Looks like we’ve genuinely got choice at the back now. 

I’ve only seen two games with Gilmour but in both he looks very comfortable on the ball, good passer with a touch of class - a step above this level. 

Longstaff - he got pelters from the Queen’s Park fans as he wasn’t great for them last season. I wasn’t expecting much, but he looked good yesterday - tidy, skilful footballer.

Arbroath - they’re obviously not the same team as last season. They remind me of Cove’s early matches this season. I’m sure they’ll improve through the season when they get back to full strength. 

5 subs on at once though. That’s a new one for me. Didn’t work, but I did love hearing the voices of incredulity around as they were getting ready. 

53 minutes ago, Geoffs Assistant said:

What a difference 3 points makes. I’ve gone from worrying about the long season ahead to genuinely looking forward to it. 

I was worried when I saw Fyvie was out, but thought Cove dominated and well deserved the win.

Thoughts on the new guys:

Sanders - looks the business. Big lad, but got pace too. Looks a born leader, could hear him talking all game, marshalled the defence well. Impressive. MOTM for me.

McClelland - good partnership with Sanders. I’d be happy with these two. Looks like we’ve genuinely got choice at the back now. 

I’ve only seen two games with Gilmour but in both he looks very comfortable on the ball, good passer with a touch of class - a step above this level. 

Longstaff - he got pelters from the Queen’s Park fans as he wasn’t great for them last season. I wasn’t expecting much, but he looked good yesterday - tidy, skilful footballer.

Arbroath - they’re obviously not the same team as last season. They remind me of Cove’s early matches this season. I’m sure they’ll improve through the season when they get back to full strength. 

5 subs on at once though. That’s a new one for me. Didn’t work, but I did love hearing the voices of incredulity around as they were getting ready. 

Was a much needed win especially with it being at home. 

Got Arbroath at the right time with a few key missing or not fully fit to start. They'll right the ship sooner rather than later. Nicky Low is a big miss. That whole situation seemed sour akin to Rory with Cove.

Sanders MOTM for me too. Reminded me of a quicker, more polished Ross Graham. Will be first choice CB. I'd ideally like to see him alongside Scott Ross or Kyle McClelland. Reynolds will struggle to get game time now imo.

Midfield had energy with Blair and Scully playing centrally.

Didn't miss Vigurs at all. Gilmour did his job far better, looked composed in possession, covered ground well, and protected the back four when needed. Vigurs should remained bench.

Odd seeing Shay at LB but McIntyre obviously rates Max Johnston who in fairness has looked solid in his first two games.

Who would drop to get Fyvie back in the team? Cieran Dunne and then Scully shifted as a tucked in left winger?

Leighton far more deserving than any minutes over Masson. Former can play up top and grab a few goals. Leitch can feel hard done to not be getting minutes. There's competition for most places which is healthy. Seeing 9 warm up at half-time and realising we didn't have Fyvie and Morgyn Neill in amongst those 9 subs

Edited by CoveRangers1922

I didn’t think cove were anything special but they didn’t need to be, far better in every single aspect so no complaints there, i was very impressed with longstaff who gave hancock a torrid time.
Stewart, tob and mckenna (strangely) being on the bench were big misses for us but thats no excuse for the lack of fight and any sort of quality on the ball.
As mentioned there were no positives from yesterday and its going to be a tough old season scrapping at the bottom due to the poor recruitment.

53 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

I didn’t think cove were anything special but they didn’t need to be, far better in every single aspect so no complaints there, i was very impressed with longstaff who gave hancock a torrid time.
Stewart, tob and mckenna (strangely) being on the bench were big misses for us but thats no excuse for the lack of fight and any sort of quality on the ball.
As mentioned there were no positives from yesterday and its going to be a tough old season scrapping at the bottom due to the poor recruitment.

Luis I was critical of after his first couple of substitute appearances. Looked a bit lightweight and short of confidence. Last 3 games he's started, been told to hug the touchline and be as a direct as possible. In fairness to him he's looked a threat and has a burst of speed/trickery to go by his man.

Early days for him but improving. Never going to win many headers or do much defensively but not many wingers have those attributes.

Both Oakley and Hancock got a roasting yesterday especially 1st half they couldn't deal with these long diagonals over their heads which let Cove in time and again.

What was it with Logan who seemed to have some sort of shorts issue...very strange.

Wasn't at the game but the posts here make dire reading. Were there no positives to take from the game? Didn't anyone have a half decent game?

I don't know why the manager persists with making multiple subs at the same time. It hasn't worked any time he's tried it before so why keep doing it? Did any of the subs make a difference?

Definitely worried that we might get a thumping next week.

8 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Wasn't at the game but the posts here make dire reading. Were there no positives to take from the game? Didn't anyone have a half decent game?

I don't know why the manager persists with making multiple subs at the same time. It hasn't worked any time he's tried it before so why keep doing it? Did any of the subs make a difference?

Definitely worried that we might get a thumping next week.

Gaston, centre halves and Bobby were ok.

Actually tried my absolute best to forget about that performance, that was as bad as it’s been this season and saying that after how shite we’ve been this year speaks volumes. Holy f**k

So so so very easy to play against and showed up the unbalanced mess our squad is 

Do we actually look at other teams before we play them? Cove were so much more physical than we were we looked like a team of wee boys. Understand ToB and Stewart were out, two of our bigger players but we started with big Bitsindou (one of the only positives of the day) and McKenna on the bench. A joke. 

Out wide we have ONE good attacking wide man in the entire squad. ONE. I’d take both of Cove wide players every day of the week and they are not even anything special they are just ok but most importantly they have PACE. f**k me we are so one paced it’s scary. Bobby has a turn of pace and can beat a man one on one but anything into space and Johnstone their right back had him. Gold wide right, guy is just not a winger he can do a job there but when we are as short as we are in attacking areas having him as one of the 3 forward players doesn’t work. He started there. Paterson didn’t make yesterdays squad but he would have never been near the park anyway and Fosu and Corfe are our other options there…. Fucking hell that’s grim. I realise Scotty Stewart is out injured but the lack of good options out in wide areas is a joke 

Middle of the park, fucking hell Jacobs was poor yesterday. We got run right over the top of. Taits worst game by a mile, Allan very poor too. But putting myself into these guys shoes it must be fucking murder. Getting the ball and looking up with absolutely f**k all on to pass too. Gold and Linn were marked tightly by Logan and Johnstone, both the fullbacks had them for pace too so anything in behind wasn’t working. And then Hilson on his Todd up against two man mountains, both good young players on loan from the Prem. Nothing fancy just bread n butter big centre halves. There was absolutely f**k all on anytime our midfield had the ball

At the back they clearly targeted Oakley and Hancock. I kind of felt like Oakley had the cigars out and expected an easy game. First half he was terrible it would’ve been a wake up call for him. Had a shocker and was so passive, he obviously got told at half time he was much more aggressive second half. Hancock was poor too, Cove launched balls at they 2 and Dunne and Longstaff won and were first to everything 

Little and Hamilton I kind of feel sorry for they were both so exposed. Gaston made a mess of the second but again I’m not blaming him too much he’s far too busy

That was quite possibly the worst performance I’ve seen from us in years!!!! They didn’t even have to do anything to beat us comfortably, so easy to play against and exposed badly. Run right over the top of and made to look so unfit, slow and small

Embarrassing stuff and this is our lot until January (ToB and Stewart are massive misses yes) we are an unbalanced squad who struggles to score goals or threaten teams in any meaningful way, massively lacking in strikers and attacking players in general and we are a soft touch on top of that. 

5 goals in 8 games!!!!! 2 of which were penalties. 1 scrambled over the line. 1 the luckiest goal you’ll ever see….. ONE GOAL FROM OPEN PLAY IN 720 MINUTES OF FOOTBALL. Dick and Pink spent the summer looking at random players from all over the planet and South London and we’ve got about 4/5 guys in the squad who are in attacking areas and are practically a total waste of time as they’ll make no real impact at this level. 

DC has made a monumental mess of this  summers window but even then we shouldn’t be this bad. His decisions in regards to team selections week to week and his subs are only adding to the incohesive unsettled mess we are in at the moment