Queen’s Park vs Raith Rovers, Sat 1 Oct @ Ochilview

Brilliant three points and a good battle. Eze outstanding and, much as I’ve been a critic, Kilday was superb again as well. There’s no question that we’re a good side. Big month ahead, which is likely to give us some indicator of exactly where we’re going to be competing in the table.

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

In hindsight, i find it hilarious Thomas didn’t play a single minute against us in the playoffs cause of his pre contract. Could of been a whole different outcome with his influence on the pitch. Even weirder cause he was listed on the bench for you those games I’m sure ? 

Mental he was joining us even if we remained in league 1 

1 minute ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Looking at highlights, i thought Kenny was poor. From the outset the referee indicated that he was willing to let a more physical game go. Kenny was getting pushed off the ball left, right and center. Me thinks he needs to adapt to the Scottish game.

Aye I’m not sold on Kenny yet. He was really poor yesterday and struggled with the physicality of the match. 

Would have Williamson starting on Tuesday instead of Kenny 

51 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Looking at highlights, i thought Kenny was poor. From the outset the referee indicated that he was willing to let a more physical game go. Kenny was getting pushed off the ball left, right and center. Me thinks he needs to adapt to the Scottish game.

I’m not writing Kenny off at all, but get Williamson back in on Tuesday. 

Rovers fans pointing at individuals but those vivid pink shirts said to me this is a team set-up not to lose, rather than to win. Having watched Gus MacPherson’s teams for several years I’m very clear on the difference. QP were the team trying to win and after the goal I though Rovers would play out more but the trend continued until the late flurry. Tactically, you might survive the drop With a ten-man defence but a frustrating season lies ahead. 

Noted with interest Coyle’s comment about the strikers. Couldn’t agree more. The hero worship with Murray confuses me. When he hits 20 goals I’ll join in but for now I’d be content if he wins a share of 50/50 tackles and headers. I’ve always felt he’s a poacher rather than a striker. Hope to see Williamson develop the physical role alongside him.

Kenny shows all the hallmark of a young man used to playing against his peers in age and physical stature and struggling to adapt to the big boys game. Reminds me of McBride a bit in that sense and similar to Murray in that he’s greatly interested when a goal chance is available, not so much off the ball. Much to learn. 

Eze was better yesterday, in the second half, but still a liability earlier in the game. Owen clearly asking (the fans) for patience in understanding the big man’s capability despite all the fans loving him. Eh? 

Gamechangers, again, yesterday were Savoury and especially Thomas. His footwork reminds me of Galty but without the defensive frailties. Ferrie continues to improve and is slowly spreading his territory control. MotM though goes to Lee Kilday for me. Like most I thought he was re-signed as the back-up but apart from Dundee he’s been excellent and yesterday added in a cracking attempt on goal plus the best save of the match at the end. 

18 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Noted with interest Coyle’s comment about the strikers. Couldn’t agree more. The hero worship with Murray confuses me. When he hits 20 goals I’ll join in but for now I’d be content if he wins a share of 50/50 tackles and headers. I’ve always felt he’s a poacher rather than a striker. Hope to see Williamson develop the physical role alongside him.

Eze was better yesterday, in the second half, but still a liability earlier in the game. Owen clearly asking (the fans) for patience in understanding the big man’s capability despite all the fans loving him. Eh? 

Sorry but you're absolutely at it here. The Murray comments are just wild, I don't even know where to begin there. 

As for Eze, he's had his dodgy moments so far this season but yesterday he didn't win his very first header against Connell and was asking the ref for a foul, when it wasn't given he turned it on and was superb for the next 85 minutes. Won absolutely everything in the air at the back, and aye he could well have scored multiple goals yesterday but he got the winner and it doesn't matter if you win 1-0 or 10-0, he scored the goal that got the three points.

The guy obviously needs time to settle into playing regularly again, he barely kicked a ball for all last year as Coyle said, and he has now had two excellent games against Arbroath and Raith, he's shown what he can do and hopefully he stays at this level going forward.

29 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Noted with interest Coyle’s comment about the strikers. Couldn’t agree more. The hero worship with Murray confuses me. When he hits 20 goals I’ll join in but for now I’d be content if he wins a share of 50/50 tackles and headers. I’ve always felt he’s a poacher rather than a striker. 

Wow. Simon Murray a poacher. What an incredibly bad take. 

6 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’ve always felt he’s a poacher rather than a striker

I think if you asked anyone who has the slightest knowledge on Simon Murray as a footballer, a poacher would probably be the last thing you’d associate with him 

Murray is well worthy of the worship amongst our support. He dragged us to promotion, giving me and probably many others, the best moment supporting qp in around 20 years of me going to games 

He’s now quite rightly the captain and playing the best football of his qp career. Easily one of the most likeable players we’ve had at the club 

Edited by qpfc

22 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

MotM though goes to Lee Kilday for me. Like most I thought he was re-signed as the back-up but apart from Dundee he’s been excellent and yesterday added in a cracking attempt on goal plus the best save of the match at the end. 

Kilday has really stepped up over the last month or so. Great headed block onto the bar at the death but it was Savoury of all people with a back header off the line a second before that. Is there anything that lad can't do? 

15 hours ago, qpfc said:

I think if you asked anyone who has the slightest knowledge on Simon Murray as a footballer, a poacher would probably be the last thing you’d associate with him 

Murray is well worthy of the worship amongst our support. He dragged us to promotion, giving me and probably many others, the best moment supporting qp in around 20 years of me going to games 

He’s now quite rightly the captain and playing the best football of his qp career. Easily one of the most likeable players we’ve had at the club 

His workrate is incredible. He has poached a few goals as well tbf, however his second goal against Cove just sums him up and proves he is far more than that. Chases the ball down to put pressure on the defence to concede possession before he flicks the ball round a defender and buries it in the bottom corner.

Edited by Mick1867

19 hours ago, qpfc said:

Five league goals so far. One a penalty at Cove; Ayr - free header in front of goal from five yards; Thistle - toe poke from two yards; Accies - toe poke from two inches. Wasn't at Cove but I'll take Mick 1867's word on it for the fifth goal. He's the epitome of a poacher; someone sharp in the box preying on mistakes of defenders. And I don't know what's so bad about being a poacher? It's a rare gift to be in the right place at the right time.

Some folk get really touchy about alternative views on employees of our football team. He's the best paid, most experienced and longest playing in the team. Yes, very good at chasing defenders and forcing mistakes. Great pace. Good anticipation. Not good at headers when being challenged. Okay with ball control. Seldom gets physical. Above all else though, his primary role is to score goals. I'd like to see a few more like those at Dunfermline and Airdrie, not just tap-ins. When a centre forward keeps stepping back from challenges, hoping the ball will drop for him, his goalscoring chances are greatly diminished. He had two chances on Saturday - one a timid side foot shot (aka passback) from 18 yards and the other a great cross by Thomas begging a header that became a Jackie Chan effort (check Dom's reaction). That was it. You can always tell from the highlights who has made an impact and who hasn't. How's two half-chances at goal a great performance for a striker?

I want to see Simon Murray doing well, like the rest of the team. He's not my mate. Just the guy who is our best chance at scoring goals. 15 minimum this season in the league for my favourite football team would be a fair return, especially if he's taking pens.

And by the way, if Owen Coyle says there's a lot more the strikers could be doing he's better equipped than the rest of us put together to make that judgement. Or is he just at it too?

I really enjoyed that win today. We all know we can be silky and easy on the eye when things are going well but we showed a different side to our game throughout different points of the match. There’s no denying we were slow to start with and we got away with a superb strike from Stanton coming off the post but we settled down and from then on, we looked the stronger team. 
Brilliant to see Eze’s height finally put to good use from corners. Realistically he should of scored a hat trick but it’s really encouraging that placing him on top of the keeper proved to be successful. Credit to savoury and Thomas for some consistently excellent deliveries also 
I’ve honestly no clue how raith didn’t score right at the death but it seemed like it was some vital blocks from Kilday that saved the day.
I’ll give MOTM to Eze. After a slow first 10 minutes, he dominated the raith attack and his anticipation to win the ball was excellent. I’ve been wary of Eze’s performances so far but he was genuinely outstanding so fair play to him.
Dom Thomas was also fantastic on the left yet again. For me he’s the best winger in the championship. He’s entertaining, his range of skills is cut above and he works his backside off for the team. Outstanding signing for us 
Raith looked a bang average team. They weren’t necessarily bad but as they’re probably well aware, they are so powderpuff up top. Stanton was decent and Macdonald made a couple great saves but other than that, there wasn’t much else. The big striker was awful and Mcbride was his usual useless self. Dylan Easton continues to be one of the most detestable footballers at this level once again with usual diving antics and then crying when fouling others. He’s a terrific player but thankfully we marked him out the game for the majority of it
What big striker? Rovers two strikers are pint sized weans with little to no strength to hold a ball up let alone compete with a 7ft centre half.