Queen’s Park vs Raith Rovers, Sat 1 Oct @ Ochilview

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, IM was crippled coming in by the turnover on the back line and the continued inability of Raith find a scoring forward. Unfortunately, IM’s preferred schemes seem to almost all include a single, scoring forward, and his seeming unwillingness to adapt, outwith the double forward forays, his scheme to provide more punch seems a bit counterproductive. As others have noted, mid table is a solid goal now, because, as it stands, we’re in sixth, but closer to tenth than fifth.

Mid table was ALWAYS a solid goal, and we'll achieve it. In fact, 8th will do me this season. That's not resignation, but realism. New manager, new players, new team, new formations, new tactics, established players leaving, long term injuries and a difficult transfer market all conspire to make this a transition. You can hope for better, but anyone expecting it needs to reassess their approach to a few things.

Not as silky as I'd like and that stramash at the end had my blood pressure (measured as "see your GP" earlier) go through the roof, but it's three points and (gulp!) another clean sheet.

Thomas superb throughout and Murray a right handful. 

We dug those points out in the end which is incredibly pleasing considering we’ve a habit of conceding goals most weeks. First 20 minutes I thought we were poor but we weren’t punished. Defence deserves a lot of praise today.

At the other end we genuinely could’ve scored 5 from corners alone. Raith couldn’t cope and big Eze could/should have had a hat trick today. Thought Mal Boateng and Dom Thomas were tremendous. Both do very different jobs and are key to how we play. 

Onwards and upwards! 🕷 

We started off looking good and threatening, a bit unlucky hitting the post and another couple of chances, but QP started to take over as the half wore on. SEcond half was more or less controlled by them, but the goal was a typical shite goal for us to lose - why did no one shout to Nollan to leave the ball, it was going out. Their giant Wilf Zaha look alike centre half caused us a lot of problems and I suppose fittng he got the goal.

We didnt really create much, and too much careless control and over hitting when we were on the break. I think 1-0 to them was about right. If anyone doesn't know, we need a striker, these McBride Connell type lightweights are no use in this league.

At this time, correct. I hope to be able to start shortly, but I have seen enough from the people at the games to understand that IM’s approach to the matches seems to be lacking in enough consideration of our player handicaps.

Have you honestly just said, you don’t watch games but are basing your opinion on what other fans are saying? [emoji23]

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

At this time, correct. I hope to be able to start shortly, but I have seen enough from the people at the games to understand that IM’s approach to the matches seems to be lacking in enough consideration of our player handicaps.

I think you should start watching the games yourself before passing judgment using negative comments after losses on a football forum as evidence. In the current squad, we have an abundance of midfielders, including established Championship midfielders coming back from long injury and it is clear that IM is playing a formation and midfield passing game to suit this. I’d suggest you consider that IM is trying his best to keep a team going whilst the players he wants are still to come in/back to full fitness.

That being said, IM isn’t without criticism. We’re a quarter in and I can’t fathom why Ngwenya was signed and I’m not sure McBride deserves to be on the pitch more than Mitchell or Arnott (but I get the idea that more game time will make them better for us next season, if they stay). A big thing is this completely changing the team when you’re only a goal down with 15 minutes to go. It is something I cannot get behind. He has tried it in every game we’ve needed a goal and it hasn’t worked. I get the theory, but our style doesn’t adapt to the additional attacking players on the pitch and it ultimately results in certain players (quite often Stanton) becoming less effective as they are having to cover more ground defensively. He also needs to get an experienced assistant in imo, preferably one with striking coaching experience if Gullan is to be turned into the main man for us.

Really poor today and you simply cannot win a game of football if most of your supposed "better" players have off days.

Easton and Connolly were both really poor today. McBride was absolutely anonymous and the less said about Connell today the better. It shows how bad he was that on numerous occasions Brown and McDonald were both going absolutely mental at him after he was bullied off the ball yet again. He looked like a player completely out of his depth.

As others have said we started the game better and Stanton was really unlucky not to score. Him and McDonald were the only 2 who started and deserve pass marks.

We've now played all teams currently above us and bar the Ayr game the other 4 matches have been pretty much the same. Huff and puff with little end product and up against a team which is just better than us.

Queens thoroughly deserved the win today.

Easton is a wee bampot, and it was delightful to see him have a terrible game.

I don't think we were very good today but we still deserved the win. It was nice to get our second clean sheet in a row (in the league) as well.

Eze had possibly his best game for us so far. He should've scored in the first half too, but it's good to see his height finally be used as an attacking threat too.

Looking forward to the Morton game on Tuesday already.

Edited by Zanetti

The same old story for the Rovers , not particularly terrible in defence/midfield and nothing much going on upfront. In fact the longer games go the less likely we look to score. Still at least I managed to visit a stadium that I’ve never been to and the food was ok. 

22 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Easton is a wee bampot, and it was delightful to see him have a terrible game.

I don't think we were very good today but we still deserved the win. It was nice to get our second clean sheet in a row (in the league) as well.

Eze had possibly his best game for us so far. He should've scored in the first half too, but it's good to see his height finally be used as an attacking threat too.

Looking forward to the Morton game on Tuesday already.

I thought that Eze looked decent should really have scored a hat trick of headers. Thought we played well enough first 20-25 minutes but in the end didn’t do enough to get anything out that game. Enjoy your night 😔

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Have you honestly just said, you don’t watch games but are basing your opinion on what other fans are saying? emoji23.png

Among other source, yes. With a large enough sample, it’s valid enough.

52 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

I think you should start watching the games yourself before passing judgment using negative comments after losses on a football forum as evidence.

I intend to, once a matter is sorted, since DG is now gone. As for not passing judgement because I’m using ALL comments, notes, suggestions, opinion and highlights….well, nope, I’ll still happily talk shit like everyone else here.

After a fairly nervous start to the game ( 15 - 20 mins) we started to boss the game and didn't let them settle on the ball and looked the far fitter of the two teams.

Played a high line and it worked... Well done Eze - hopefully this will boost his confidence which has been suspect before today but it's a no brainer having him in the mix at corners and set pieces. The whole team looked up for it - the way it should be - but Dom and Mal deserve mention.

Top of the league after Tuesday? - Play like today and it's likely...

Can't really complain about the outcome.

We were decent for the first ten minutes and might have nicked an equaliser during the scramble at the end, but QP were physically stronger and more robust at both ends of the park for most of the game.

I suppose our record of not having lost a league game away to QP for over 40 years was going to end some time.

Edited by Specky Ginger

After a fairly nervous start to the game ( 15 - 20 mins) we started to boss the game and didn't let them settle on the ball and looked the far fitter of the two teams.
Played a high line and it worked... Well done Eze - hopefully this will boost his confidence which has been suspect before today but it's a no brainer having him in the mix at corners and set pieces. The whole team looked up for it - the way it should be - but Dom and Mal deserve mention.
Top of the league after Tuesday? - Play like today and it's likely...
I hadn't seen Eze before obviously but at the start he looked a bit nervous and I thought it was made for us to try and drag him about and go at him with a little bit of pace. In the end we played exactly to his strength and he absolutely bullied Connell out of the game.

Even at his height to allow him so many chances at set pieces and not come up with any plan to stop it is absolutely criminal management from our point of view. He'll be a bit gutted he didn't score more today probably.

19 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Anyone have the crowd figures? It looked about half and half but it's hard to compare our standing support with the seated stand. I would gues about 1400.

The official attendance was just under 900 but it looked like Raith brought more fans than Queens did