Queen’s Park vs Raith Rovers, Sat 1 Oct @ Ochilview

So, time to see how we can do against the new lads in the League at an old, familiar ground. Things looking up recently for Raith, but Queen’s are looking tough. Will the Assault Tank have his work permit in time, or will our squad of trained midget strikers be rolled out again? Can Queen’s take advantage of the opportunities our defence seems to permit all too often? And how’s the plastic holding up at Ochilview?

Bit harsh calling Connell a trained midget, looks around 6ft.

Tough test for us, however I do think against an in-form Ayr we showed that on our day we can cause anyone in this league problems. Connell was a pest and Stanton put in another MOTM performance. Fingers crossed for more of the same.

Edited by Raithfan2711

I believe the pitch at Stenny is new, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Hopefully we have another good look at how we defend set pieces. That said, we seem to be fairly decent at the other end of the park. Great that we scored three on Sunday without Simon Murray.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not to take anything away from Queen’s Park’s achievements this season, but when was the last time a team came up from League 1 and didn’t do well?  Genuine question. Cove no doing too great this year, I suppose. 

Brechin? 

It's certainly an established pattern that teams who come up typically then challenge for the playoffs. 

29 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not to take anything away from Queen’s Park’s achievements this season, but when was the last time a team came up from League 1 and didn’t do well?  Genuine question. Cove no doing too great this year, I suppose. 

It doesn't bear much resemblence to last season.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Cove had a sluggish start last season too. Their success was down to winning more games than everyone else. I’d expect this year’s champions to also win the most games. We’ve had a decent start, like we did last season, but other coaches will figure out our style soon enough, like they did last season. Then it’s down to the players. Long way to go! 

I’m just enjoying not drawing one-each every other week.

Sorry fellas, QP fans only. It is a very wee bar! Personally, anyone cultured enough to drink in the Guildford should have a free pass to any pub in Scotland. There’s a pub (used to be the Warriors Club) directly behind the ground. Called the Ochilview now. Good choice of drinks, TV, banter etc.

52 minutes ago, philpy said:

Couple of pints In the Guildford arms, then the 12.03 train from waverley to larbert. Where's good for a pint in larbert?? The Crown or the plough?? And i believe there's a wee bar at the ground??

33 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

There is or was a wee bar at the ground used to be Stenhousemuir's social club way back in the day. Still there hopefully as that is where we're heading. Glasgow bus to the Forth Valley hospital and probably a taxi to the ground.

Love a trip to Ochilview and been looking forward to this fixture. Terracing is great and nice set up for an Away day.

The Station Hotel Bar is worth a visit if your coming by train.

I had a drink in the Crown once and it was fine enough and had a pool table (quiet though), can't speak for the Plough. The bar behind the away end (the Ochilview) is ideal location-wise and has previously had the best atmosphere before the game. 

For those needing post game carry outs, google is telling me the best bet is a Nisa that is five minutes further along from Larbert station. If anyone knows of an off licence between the ground and the station, do share!

Looking forward to this on Saturday, pity it’s not at Lesser Hampden though. What’s the time frame on that QP fans? Are you playing at Ochilview all this season?
Is the Stenny Social Club only for QP fans? If so, that’s guff!
Is Gilmours the option now for closest pub to the ground?
Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The League One champions generally have an alright record, but teams that get promoted via the playoffs have always struggled, more often than not going straight back down - Ayr multiple times if I remember correctly, Cowden, and of course Brechin.

Alloa also narrowly avoided the relegation playoffs by one point and on goal difference both times they've come up that way. I believe Airdrie also finished 9th but didn't have to compete in the playoffs because Livi were demoted.

On 26/09/2022 at 17:08, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Love a trip to Ochilview and been looking forward to this fixture. Terracing is great and nice set up for an Away day.

The Station Hotel Bar is worth a visit if your coming by train.

I had a drink in the Crown once and it was fine enough and had a pool table (quiet though), can't speak for the Plough. The bar behind the away end (the Ochilview) is ideal location-wise and has previously had the best atmosphere before the game. 

For those needing post game carry outs, google is telling me the best bet is a Nisa that is five minutes further along from Larbert station. If anyone knows of an off licence between the ground and the station, do share!

Wrong! Looks like there is a Londis next to the Plough.

Also on the Plough, the images on google show plenty of flute playing and rangers'y events. I certainly shan't be spending my money there, would hope others will also avoid like the plague!

28 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Is there a pay at the gate on saturday so I decide at the last minute?

No answer at the website, but here what they have:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/tickets-raith-rovers/

Guess you could stand outside and buy a ticket on the website…however, at the start of the season, Queen’s did list a PATG price…