Forfar vs Dumbarton

15 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Give it a rest mate......

You've got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but i, i got a 66 2/3 chance of winning because tbsouth KNOWS he can't beat me

So after deliberating about not going this week I of course ended up at station park! 

pretty pish game . Actually thought Docherty didn’t do much wrong to be fair , Hutton still questionable . The right back looked half decent.

for all the Embarrasing abuse aitken gets from the Fanny with the top knot in the enclosure he actually did quite well in linking play and holding the ball up today. 

nothing happening up front and that’s going to be killing us all season. 

3 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Docherty was very good I thought, especially first half. Anyone any idea what Moore is supposed to be bringing to the team? Games completely pass him by, yet he's in for 90 minutes week in week out without fail.

I quite like Moore but I do get your point 

I can only assume Byrne was carrying a knock today unless Farrell has completely lost the plot. I’ve been concerned about how we’d cope if he was out of the team And today has done nothing to alleviate those concerns. Wallace clearly isn’t an out and out striker and Gemmell is very much a 15 minute man. 

I was desperately hoping we’d see a striker join on loan yesterday and seeing guys like Kouider-Aissa join Stranraer feels like a huge opportunity missed. I just hope Byrne is fit from next weekend until January.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

51 minutes ago, C_titz said:

So after deliberating about not going this week I of course ended up at station park! 

pretty pish game . Actually thought Docherty didn’t do much wrong to be fair , Hutton still questionable . The right back looked half decent.

for all the Embarrasing abuse aitken gets from the Fanny with the top knot in the enclosure he actually did quite well in linking play and holding the ball up today. 

nothing happening up front and that’s going to be killing us all season. 

Come tell me next week you don't like the shouts. 

41 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Docherty was very good I thought, especially first half. Anyone any idea what Moore is supposed to be bringing to the team? Games completely pass him by, yet he's in for 90 minutes week in week out without fail.

He can run. Which tbh with slater out of the side is needed. Agree most weeks he seems out of it. 

Edited by TheClosingArguement

Forfar looked ok in spells. Couldn't really deliver a telling final ball or test Brett Long with shots on target often enough. Faded badly in the 2nd half when we decided we wanted to go for the game.

Dumbarton were pedestrian for a lot of the match. Fine at the back and in midfield, but terrible going forward. Wallace should never play as a centre forward for us again - he keeps wandering from his position and he just can't play the role. He needs to be playing behind a striker and with the freedom to roam - he looked far better when Beast came on and he dropped to play off him. Ally Love was absolutely garbage. To the point where both Buchanan and Lynas were screaming at him to get the finger out and to actually put a bit of effort in. As poor an individual performance as I've seen from a Sons player so far this season.

On the strength of how we finished the game then we could have taken all 3 points, but its really annoying that it took so long for us to actually start attacking. Don't grudge Forfar a share of the spoils at all. They worked hard and just lacked the quality they needed to really threaten properly. If we'd played more of the game the way we played the last 20 minutes then we'd have won handsomely. It has to be a worry for us that we showed so little urgency for 70 minutes.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Just now, C_titz said:

If you haven’t burst all the blood vessells in your heed before then you angry man 

Will absolutely accept im unreasonably tilted at station park. 

A draw was probably a fair result there. Although the more the game went on, the more likely we looked to get a winner. It was almost like a cup tie towards the end as we chucked bodies forward, and Forfar tried to hit on the break.

In the first-half I thought we were really poor. We weren't playing with any confidence or flair, and all too often it was a long ball to Ryan Wallace or a cross-fielder to Ross MacLean.

Forfar were the better side for the first 45, I don't think there can be an argument of that fact, but some wayward finishing meant that Brett Long only really had one serious save to make - a one-on-one from a really neatly taken quick free-kick that sent Sparky in on goal.

The second-half was an improvement from our point of view. We started to take a bit more control of the game and, crucially, create a few chances. Finlay Gray should've scored after being played in by Ryan Wallace, and Ryan Blair's corners caused a few issues in the Loons' box.

The more the half went on, the worse Forfar seemed to get. In the first-half their wide players caused us a few issues and they looked a bit of a threat when they attacked. But that totally fizzled out in the second-half. It was like roles reversed and they became fairly one dimensional and predictable.

Faz got his subs spot on imo, even though I was desperate for us to bring on Declan Byrne. Michael Garrity looked a real livewire in place of the ineffective Ally Love (who I'm increasingly conviced isn't a winger), whilst John Gemmell had his best cameo so far. He caused big Andy Munro no end of issues - he just didn't know what to do with the big man.

A wee tactical tweak saw Ryan Wallace drop in to the #10 behind Gemmell, and he looked a million times better there than as a striker. He actually did ok with the limited service he got up top, but he was looking utterly disgusted with some of the balls fired his direction. Getting the ball into his feet made a world of difference to our attacking play, and I was impressed with the quality of his touch, passing, vision. The lot. It's given Faz something to think about for next week; would he be tempted to play Wallace in behind Byrne? That could be interesting.

As frustrating as it was to see Marc McCallum pulling off some cracking saves, I don't think anyone could argue we really deserved all three points over the piece. A draw, and a scoreless one at that, was probably the right outcome for both sides. The biggest frustration is that we didn't play like we did for the last 20 minutes for the full 90, because if we had then we'd have left with three points.

In terms of us, there are two ways to look at it. It's either dropped points against a struggling side, or it's a reasonable response to the Stranraer game. After that I had the fear for us defensively - but Carsy being back in- resulted in another solid showing, and another clean sheet. I also wonder if keeping it tight early on is what led to our poor first-half.

Overall though, 22 points, five clean sheets and seven wins from our first quarter is far better than any of us could've hoped for. Next week is a big game, but our better performances this season have been against the better teams. Hopefully we can up things a bit - and start scoring again from open play - at Forthbank.

As Mark Twain once almost said, reports of Forfar's demise were exaggerated and the Loons fully deserved their point.  For a team decimated by injuries and on a run of bad form there is certainly nothing lacking in their spirit.  I thought McCallum and Munro in particular led very well by example.

Dumbarton on the other hand served up too many reminders of last season for my liking.  Ball after ball shelled from deep to a 5'9" central attacker with predictable results, a couple of players who simply weren't at it attitude-wise, and a tendency to repeatedly surrender possession cheaply.  And we've got ourselves into a bit of a hole in the up-front department, as we have two forwards of almost identical stature who look as though they will function best playing off a target man, only for that target man to be able to provide late cameo appearances only.  

We are where we are but I'd definitely consider starting Michael Garrity at Stirling in place of Ally Love, as he contributed well in the time he had today.  And maybe we'll have a week when the training is cack but the match performance is really good.

29 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As Mark Twain once almost said, reports of Forfar's demise were exaggerated and the Loons fully deserved their point.  For a team decimated by injuries and on a run of bad form there is certainly nothing lacking in their spirit.  I thought McCallum and Munro in particular led very well by example.

Dumbarton on the other hand served up too many reminders of last season for my liking.  Ball after ball shelled from deep to a 5'9" central attacker with predictable results, a couple of players who simply weren't at it attitude-wise, and a tendency to repeatedly surrender possession cheaply.  And we've got ourselves into a bit of a hole in the up-front department, as we have two forwards of almost identical stature who look as though they will function best playing off a target man, only for that target man to be able to provide late cameo appearances only.  

We are where we are but I'd definitely consider starting Michael Garrity at Stirling in place of Ally Love, as he contributed well in the time he had today.  And maybe we'll have a week when the training is cack but the match performance is really good.

I for one don't thinking hanging on for grim death at the end of a game where they had one serious attempt at goal suggests the demise of the Fofar team is anything other than entirely accurate.

Definitely not the best game ever but a point and a much better performance than I expected and what we've suffered through lately. I'll go out on a limb here and say that Docherty was a reason, maybe the main reason, the team seemed so motivated. He kept the heads up and marshalled the players, so well done him. Still a long way to go and still a helluva lot of work for Forfar to do. Upfront is still woeful. What's the point of Matty holding up the ball (sometimes) with his back to goal if there's nobody to lay it off to? Even more annoying when it's a hoof up the park from McCallum or Munro (today) and there's only defenders and half a park around him. Some nice touches by Ferguson but he seems a bit light. Quite impressed by Moreland given the poor reviews. I was disappointed with Dumbarton but, like Forfar in the first 15, they had a fine final 15 minutes. Was a draw a fair result? I'd say it was.

Big shout out to Roberto Nditi who took time to sign autographs and shirts and talk to some of the young fans.