Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

3 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I'm not sure at what point SFA have to register their official squad and whether there is an administrative cut off but as for physically getting there, not a chance too late.

I would be on phone earlier today to Shankland / Conway and telling them to get to an airport

Of course I was meaning registration etc. Transport there is no problem. 

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Well I think so anyway, I've not really given it much thought tbh. But I think its the worst feeling I can remember as a Scotland fan.

Maybe if you list your worse ones I might agree 🤷‍♂️

There are far worse than that, Christ. Embarrassing formation and tactics, sure, but result wise? We only narrowly lost the game, and Czechia were pretty decent, certainly had a better pool than us. 

We got humped 3-0 in the summer there off a dreadful Ireland team. There's one quick example. 

There are far worse than that, Christ. Embarrassing formation and tactics, sure, but result wise? We only narrowly lost the game, and Czechia were pretty decent, certainly had a better pool than us. 
We got humped 3-0 in the summer there off a dreadful Ireland team. There's one quick example. 
Getting laughed at by a bunch of Italian pensioners, while having a hungover breakfast in a cafe somewhere near Genoa, the day after we lost to Costa Rica in Italia 90 is well up the embarrassment list for me

17 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well I think so anyway, I've not really given it much thought tbh. But I think its the worst feeling I can remember as a Scotland fan.

12 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Kazakhstan has to be up there

15 minutes ago, calcutta said:
22 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Getting laughed at by a bunch of Italian pensioners, while having a hungover breakfast in a cafe somewhere near Genoa, the day after we lost to Costa Rica in Italia 90 is well up the embarrassment list for me

Costa Rica were an alright team though, as were the Czechs in the Levein game. Kazakhstan is miles ahead of those in terms of being an absolute shambles for me, and the Ireland one in the summer wasn't far off it.

My aurl fella (in his 60s) will always mention Costa Rica, but he will concede that Kazakhstan has got to be the worst in his lifetime. 

ETA: Forgot that he mentions the Iran 1-1 draw in 1978 often as well, but a draw is hardly worth mentioning, but given Scotland were one of the favourites, that would probably have been just as bad as a defeat back then. 

Edited by DAFC.

COsta Rica was an embarrassment, yes, but we did everything but score, loads of chances, so an embarrassing result but there have been dozens worse performances.. Drawing with the Faroes before they were Turkey-conquerors? And......

....Iran.

30 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Pumped 4-0 from a fairly pish Welsh team in the 00s was grim, only a friendly I suppose but was one of many low point in Berti's time. Draw in the Faroes up there too, at a time when the Faroes were regular whipping boys. 

Kazakhstan takes the title for me though

Faroes was pretty bad as well. Im a bit young to have had a decent level of understanding regarding the Costa rica game also.

Just now, Donathan said:

Czech Republic under Levein probably isn’t even in the worst 10 results of the century, tbh 

Thought it was pretty clear when I said on the last page there have obviously been worse results. That i was aware there have been worse results. The original thing was embarrassing games, not whats the worst result.

For me its still that Czech game tbh. The way we set out and played the game which  made it specifically embarrassing. I would be laughing if any of the other home nations had done that.

But its all subjective.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Just seen someone suggest that we should ask for a postponement because "we did the same for Ukraine"

We did tbf. We were supposed to play in March and agreed to move the game to June which meant they brought their first squad. Had we insisted on March they’d either have withdrawn or cobbled together a selection of overseas based players which we’d probably have won.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

We did tbf. We were supposed to play in March and agreed to move the game to June which meant they brought their first squad. Had we insisted on March they’d either have withdrawn or cobbled together a selection of overseas based players which we’d probably have won.

"Hi lads, mind when you couldn't play because your players were getting bombed? Aye well Che Adams has just had a dodgy curry, do you mind?"

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Of course I was meaning registration etc. Transport there is no problem. 

Do you have to advance register a "squad" for internationals? Managers pick squads to give themselves a group to work with obviously and there's a requirement to name a squad for tournament finals. Genuinely not sure there is for qualifying matches. Clearly there are the practicalities of getting a valid passport and potentially a visa for the destination country in some cases (I assume we can move freely to Poland for work can we?).

I'd have thought if it took our fancy to fill out a squad there's nothing to prevent Stevie Clarke naming himself and Steven Naismith in the squad as long as he submits a teamline the designated 2 hours before kick off, or however long it is. Anyone know for sure?