Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)


Recommended Posts

😂

In the finest traditions of being a Scotland fan for over 50 years, barely 10 minutes after the final whistle, my brother-in-law was bemoaning our promotion on the grounds that we'll "be straight back doon" because the big teams will batter us. 

Every silver lining has a cloud! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

😂

In the finest traditions of being a Scotland fan for over 50 years, barely 10 minutes after the final whistle, my brother-in-law was bemoaning our promotion on the grounds that we'll "be straight back doon" because the big teams will batter us. 

Every silver lining has a cloud! 

My friend said the exact same thing.

We may well lose games, but we've got to be up there to get the opportunity to test ourselves in competitive games against the big teams in the first place.

There's no reason at all why we can't be competitive up there. We can play AND grind out results. We have earned our place in the top group on merit, we deserve to be there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our young players will improve playing the likes of Spain/France/Germany/Croatia.  Yes, we'll be favourites to finish bottom and probably will, but how will playing these sides a bad thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheScarf said:

Our young players will improve playing the likes of Spain/France/Germany/Croatia.  Yes, we'll be favourites to finish bottom and probably will, but how will playing these sides a bad thing?

There is a very high chance we will come back down, but that’s okay. We would need to be a top 12 side in Europe to cement ourselves in league A and I don’t think we are there yet. But being in league A for a World Cup campaign and league B for the next euros is an optimal position for qualifying purposes anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

😂

In the finest traditions of being a Scotland fan for over 50 years, barely 10 minutes after the final whistle, my brother-in-law was bemoaning our promotion on the grounds that we'll "be straight back doon" because the big teams will batter us. 

Every silver lining has a cloud! 

There's every chance that, regardless of who we will face in the A Group, we'll pick up quite a few points at home at least. Optimistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't think it was our best performance by any means - we gave away 2 or 3 gilt edged chances that really should've punished us - but the team showed some excellent determination and eventually seen the game out somewhat comfortable.

Hendry, Porteous and Hickey were all very good with Gordon also being his usual reassuring presence in goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There is a very high chance we will come back down, but that’s okay. We would need to be a top 12 side in Europe to cement ourselves in league A and I don’t think we are there yet. But being in league A for a World Cup campaign and league B for the next euros is an optimal position for qualifying purposes anyway. 

I see what you mean, but we don't even need to be top 12, we just need to be top 3 in our group.  We could be 15th best in Europe going by the Nations League and it's fine as long as the 16th is in our group*.  Shitfest our way to 4 points against the next worst team in the group and we're golden.  Even going down isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not 6 demoralising houndings.

 

* Mathematically probably isn't true *shrug*

Edited by forameus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AJF said:

I really don't think it was our best performance by any means - we gave away 2 or 3 gilt edged chances that really should've punished us - but the team showed some excellent determination and eventually seen the game out somewhat comfortable.

Hendry, Porteous and Hickey were all very good with Gordon also being his usual reassuring presence in goal.

2 or 3?

I saw one. The best two chances of the game, one at each end, came in the first 7 mins. McGinn should have shot, and Adams was unlucky his effort was deflected wide. Yarmolenko puts an absolute sitter over the top after we got in a mess and left Taylor with two men to cover.

Thereafter a succession of offside chances and a couple of headers at corners they might have done better with but were hardly "gilt edged" and a long range drive Gordon made a terrific save from but certainly wasn't gilt edged either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wean's not a football fan, and I couldn't persuade him to watch the match with me last night, even with the offer of Doritos.

At full-time, I shouted up to him that it finished 0-0, and got back, "sounds like it was a boring game".

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely porteous gets a bad reputation because he is a bit of a bam. I think he could become a class player (this was even before last night). I think the best thing for him would be to move away from Scotland where he can properly develop away from the hassle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2 or 3?

I saw one. The best two chances of the game, one at each end, came in the first 7 mins. McGinn should have shot, and Adams was unlucky his effort was deflected wide. Yarmolenko puts an absolute sitter over the top after we got in a mess and left Taylor with two men to cover.

Thereafter a succession of offside chances and a couple of headers at corners they might have done better with but were hardly "gilt edged" and a long range drive Gordon made a terrific save from but certainly wasn't gilt edged either.

The one Yarmolenko put over the bar, the one v one Dovbyk had that Gordon saved and then the header from around 6 yards out from Stepanenko I think.

The first 2 definitely fall under the gilt-edged category in my opinion. The header maybe less so but a good chance to score.

Edited by AJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

I genuinely porteous gets a bad reputation because he is a bit of a bam. I think he could become a class player (this was even before last night). I think the best thing for him would be to move away from Scotland where he can properly develop away from the hassle

Nows a perfect time for him to exit to. He is free to speak to clubs at end of 2022 and leave for free next summer so would be able to negotiate a great deal for himself as his stock will be high just now.

Hopefully he follows the path of guys like Hickey, Doig and Ferguson and moves to a European league initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I genuinely porteous gets a bad reputation because he is a bit of a bam. I think he could become a class player (this was even before last night). I think the best thing for him would be to move away from Scotland where he can properly develop away from the hassle


He seems to have got pretty good at dealing with the hassle. He'll probably be away off somewhere foreign before long regardless.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

The one Yarmolenko put over the bar, the one v one Dovbyk had that Gordon saved and then the header from around 6 yards out from Stepanenko I think.

The first 2 definitely fall under the gilt-edged category in my opinion. The header maybe less so but a good chance to score.

The Dovbyk one was offside. They played on as Gordon had the ball but it was clearly offside. I referred to the header from a corner already. It was a half chance for me, not gilt edged.

The 2nd best valid chance they had was probably the one volleyed wide from the edge of the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Nows a perfect time for him to exit to. He is free to speak to clubs at end of 2022 and leave for free next summer so would be able to negotiate a great deal for himself as his stock will be high just now.

Hopefully he follows the path of guys like Hickey, Doig and Ferguson and moves to a European league initially.

He would suit playing in Serie A IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The Dovbyk one was offside. They played on as Gordon had the ball but it was clearly offside. I referred to the header from a corner already. It was a half chance for me, not gilt edged.

The 2nd best valid chance they had was probably the one volleyed wide from the edge of the box.

Was it? Here’s the still frame from the highlights, and he looks on to me. The linesman never flagged either and they don’t have the authority to decide whether or not play goes on. They either flag if they think he is offside or keep it down if they don’t think he is offside. It’s then up to the ref to decide whether play is stopped if the flag is raised.

I don’t think saying Ukraine had 2 or 3 gilt edged chances is much of a controversial opinion.

6BA390C5-1044-4471-B336-D56F3074FD5B.png

Edited by AJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...