Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

What ARE the rules there?

Well as VAR was used play is deemed to have stopped as soon as the ‘offence’ was committed - which was before the ball went out of play for the corner. As it was the incorrect call the defending team get the ball.
A nonsense really. The refs mistake of giving us a penalty cost us.

7 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I’m on the verge of going dark and watching the bbc highlights to find out how we get/got on. f**k premier sports and f**k the bbc. And f**k every other entity that had the ability to  bid for our games.

Thinking of doing the same, but I'll have run out of cans by the time the highlights start.

Well as VAR was used play is deemed to have stopped as soon as the ‘offence’ was committed - which was before the ball went out of play for the corner. As it was the incorrect call the defending team get the ball.
A nonsense really. The refs mistake of giving us a penalty cost us.
Could argue the ball was out of play for a corner before the ref blew...not sure if it was but these are the grey areas that'll arise
I'm now doubting myself but I'm positive the ball was out for a corner before he blew. Because when he blew I said "I think he's actually giving a penalty here".

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I suppose it has to be. If a penalty is given by the referee then the ball is dead when the foul happens.

It doesn’t have to be though. There’s no reason why the referee can’t wait to see what unfolds in the immediate aftermath in the same way that assistants wait before flagging marginal offside calls. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm now doubting myself but I'm positive the ball was out for a corner before he blew. Because when he blew I said "I think he's actually giving a penalty here".

It doesn’t matter. Play restarts with a drop ball in all situations when a penalty decision is overturned. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

It doesn’t have to be though. There’s no reason why the referee can’t wait to see what unfolds in the immediate aftermath in the same way that assistants wait before flagging marginal offside calls. 

OK It doesn't have to be, but it's the easiest way to be consistent. Corner kicks are not VAR reviewable, and you'd then need them to be to determine if the ball was out before the whistle blew etc.