Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I find it funny that people are alluding to that he is sort of cruising given he is always top one or two for covering ground and pretty much plays 2 games a week. He is seen as undroppable for club and country and managers even loathe to sub him. There is also a fair bit of shite that comes with being a Celtic captain.But aye he has taken the easy option because he doesn’t play for midtable Utd in the EPL. Fanboys are  gona Fanboy though I suppose

I wasn't trying to have a dig at Celtic. I like Celtic. We don't know the story here, all that we can say is that if McGregor was wanting to play in the EPL he would be there - so what is there left to say? It was the same chat when Ryan Gauld chose to go to Vancouver Whitecaps.

Edited by 2426255

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I wasn't trying to have a dig at Celtic. I like Celtic. We don't know the story here, all that we can say is that if McGregor was wanting to play in the EPL he would be there - so what is there left to say? It was the same chat when Ryan Gauld chose to go to Vancouver Whitecaps.

Agree, I don’t like Celtic or Rangers and will happily rip into them but this conversation hasn’t been about that and I don’t see a single post that’s having a dig at Celtic.

Its s debate, and quite a sensible one so far by P&B standards about whether people think McGregor could have showed more ambition by moving or is showing more ambition by staying.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think it’s fair to say there has been a massive shift in the ambition/mentality of young Scottish players since the 3 you mentioned were classed in the ‘young’ bracket. As you say, the 3 guys were very comfortable being able to play up here well within themselves whilst winning a shit load of domestic trophies and earning very good money.

Hopefully the recent moves of Hickey, Ferguson and Doig to Italy is showing that young players have seen there is much more and much better out there than Celtic and Rangers.

Liam Henderson has been there for a while , and is there not another Scot ?

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don’t anyone was really having a go at Celtic tbh, just perhaps underestimating the demands of playing for them whilst overestimating the demands of playing for a mid to lower tier team in the EPL. I totally get why a player would want to give it a try but I find it funny that the two players of late accused of taking the easy option (McGregor/Brown) are/were known for their incessant ground cover and  attitude.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I don’t anyone was really having a go at Celtic tbh, just perhaps underestimating the demands of playing for them whilst overestimating the demands of playing for a mid to lower tier team in the EPL. I totally get why a player would want to give it a try but I find it funny that the two players of late accused of taking the easy option (McGregor/Brown) are/were known for their incessant ground cover and  attitude.

Personally I'd take European and International football over playing in the EPL week in/week out if it was a choice.

Edited by 2426255

46 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I find it funny that people are alluding to that he is sort of cruising given he is always top one or two for covering ground and pretty much plays 2 games a week. He is seen as undroppable for club and country and managers even loathe to sub him. There is also a fair bit of shite that comes with being a Celtic captain.But aye he has taken the easy option because he doesn’t play for midtable Utd in the EPL. Fanboys are  gona Fanboy though I suppose

I'm a Fanboy of football and if you don't think the football in the EPL is of a better quality and more exciting than the Scottish top flight then that's up to you. But don't give me that 'fanboy' shite.  It really is nonsense of the highest order.

Just now, kennie makevin said:

I'm a Fanboy of football and if you don't think the football in the EPL is of a better quality and more exciting than the Scottish top flight then that's up to you. But don't give me that 'fanboy' shite.  It really is nonsense of the highest order.

Absolutely nobody is saying the Scottish top flight of similar quality to the EPL so as often we have found on here, you are arguing with yourself again Kennie

26 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Personally I'd take European and International football over playing in the EPL week in/week out if it was a choice.

The debate isn't about what someone would want to do personally, though.

It's about what would make him a better footballer.

48 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Surely it the opportunity was there you’d do both ? For example, and purely hypothetical, if he’d moved to Leicester he could have played in EPL, played in Europe and played for Scotland whilst continuing to develop as a player ??

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I don’t see it as an EPL thing. It’s not that he’s doing badly, he obviously isn’t.

I feel like it’s more that you’d always feel like he never really tested himself or reached his full potential. There’s only so much anyone is going to learn playing the same teams 3 times a season, for 10 plus season.

This is the same in any league, a player will get better by being exposed to new things and learning from different people - Hickey is probably the best example, got the experience he could at Hearts, then you can see he’s learnt a lot at Bologna, he’ll go and learn more from Brentford. He could stay at Hearts and might have easily become captain, start for Scotland etc but would he really be as good a player? 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

What are the demands of playing for Celtic?

39 minutes ago, ahemps said:

What are the demands of playing for Celtic?

If you look at player tables who have played the most minutes across Europe it’s usually littered with Celtic or Rangers players due to European qualifiers, going deep in to domestic cups, European group stages, usually being internationals also. Add the expectancy of 3 points every league game and not really being allowed much of a social life some may find EPL football (at a middling club) as high quality as it may be a bit better for them in terms of recovery time and not being in such an intense city for rivalry.

Edited by gannonball

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If you look at players who have played the most minutes across Europe it’s usually littered with Celtic or Rangers players due to European qualifiers, going deep in to domestic cups, European group stages, usually being internationals also. Add the expectancy of 3 points every league game and not really being allowed much of a social life some may find EPL football as high quality as it may be a bit better for them in terms of recovery time and not being in such an intense city for rivalry.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/meisteeinsaetze/gesamteinsaetze/statistik/2022/plus/0/galerie/0?saison_id=2021&wettbewerb_id=&land_id=0&altersklasse=alle&yt0=Show 

In the last 3 years Aribo appears once, McGregor appears every year 15th, 22nd and 23rd.

Not exactly littered with OF players but that is the only source I checked so could be wrong.