Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Was it? Here’s the still frame from the highlights, and he looks on to me. The linesman never flagged either and they don’t have the authority to decide whether or not play goes on. They either flag if they think he is offside or keep it down if they don’t think he is offside. It’s then up to the ref to decide whether play is stopped if the flag is raised.

I don’t think saying Ukraine had 2 or 3 gilt edged chances is much of a controversial opinion.

6BA390C5-1044-4471-B336-D56F3074FD5B.png

He looks offside to me (and sure they said on commentary that he was, though that's no proof of anything). He's leaning forward beyond Porteous. I'm confident VAR would have ruled it out if they'd scored.

I never said it was controversial, I just don't agree. They had one. As did we. Not disputing Ukraine were the more proactive side and had far more chances.

A few of the Rangers-supporting kids at school today are giving it the big licks about how Porteous needs to move to Rangers to become a better player for Scotland.

Nae bother, I'm sure pumping Ross County and Dundee eight times a season will make him far better when he comes up against the likes of Spain / Italy / Germany's attack.

6 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given that we’ve just took 7 points from 9 against teams that recently beat us 3-0 and 3-1 it’s remarkable that last nights thread had digs at McGregor, Gordon, McLean, Jack and Porteous to name a few. 

Can we not just celebrate 3 very good results and the success that comes with it and agree to leave club agendas off international threads ??

Absolutely - I thought the McLean bashing was over the top.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A few of the Rangers-supporting kids at school today are giving it the big licks about how Porteous needs to move to Rangers to become a better player for Scotland.

Nae bother, I'm sure pumping Ross County and Dundee eight times a season will make him far better when he comes up against the likes of Spain / Italy / Germany's attack.

LMAO.

Moving abroad is the new career progression trajectory. It's done a few of our players the world of good.

He looks offside to me (and sure they said on commentary that he was, though that's no proof of anything). He's leaning forward beyond Porteous. I'm confident VAR would have ruled it out if they'd scored.
I never said it was controversial, I just don't agree. They had one. As did we. Not disputing Ukraine were the more proactive side and had far more chances.
I think, but could be wrong, that after Gordon saved the chance, the referee waved to the linesman to acknowledge that he was playing on after the linesman let him know it was offside.

Sketchy memory, but I recall being convinced he was off then seeing the ref wave away the flag.

Moving abroad gives players a different understanding and perspective of the game. Something that only helps our squad as a whole.
No no no. We need all our players to move to only a couple of teams so they can skoosh the league and get used to playing alongside each other!

I think we are a far more technical team than we were back in the day, partly because of more players playing abroad, but also because the English premier league (and even the championship and SPFL to an extent) have become more technical leagues.

Even when we had that decent spell under Walter Smith and latterly Alex McLeish in the second half of the 2000-2010 decade, it was a lot of backs to the wall 5-4-1 and nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. We are far better to watch now. 

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

LMAO.

Moving abroad is the new career progression trajectory. It's done a few of our players the world of good.

I've been saying this for years that one thing that held Scotland back IMO over the past 20 years is Paul McStay Syndrome where too many good Scotland players don't fulfil their potential because they stay at Rangers / Celtic because they support them.

Edited by Gaz

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

Was it? Here’s the still frame from the highlights, and he looks on to me. The linesman never flagged either and they don’t have the authority to decide whether or not play goes on. They either flag if they think he is offside or keep it down if they don’t think he is offside. It’s then up to the ref to decide whether play is stopped if the flag is raised.

I don’t think saying Ukraine had 2 or 3 gilt edged chances is much of a controversial opinion.

6BA390C5-1044-4471-B336-D56F3074FD5B.png

Yes. If the AR holds his flag once the chance has gone, then he believes it was onside. At least one offside was given last night and the referee chose to play on given Gordon had the ball.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player be caught out for offside so many times. I’m sure it was at least 5, and possibly more - and some of them were off by quite a distance.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think, but could be wrong, that after Gordon saved the chance, the referee waved to the linesman to acknowledge that he was playing on after the linesman let him know it was offside.

Sketchy memory, but I recall being convinced he was off then seeing the ref wave away the flag.

Nah, you can see it in the highlights the linesman doesn't stop to signal and just runs back up the line after Gordon collects it.

4 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

The BBC doing what the BBC do now,talking scotland down on all fronts is the new norm for them..........no paying my license anymore,they can send as many letters as they want.

Mon the Scotland  !!!

I get you might not be talking just about sport coverage but c'mon. There was plenty of praise for Porto on the radio - although the tone was a wee bit weird in general from Miller and Gordon (not Chrichton).

Sportscene on the other hand was brilliant. The tone was so joyous and jingoistic I thought they might have been pissed. McCann was very passionate and I thought Maloney was actually going to cry with pride at one point. I really enjoyed it.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've been saying this for years that one thing that held Scotland back IMO over the past 20 years is Paul McStay Syndrome where too many good Scotland players don't fulfil their potential because they stay at Rangers / Celtic because they support them.

Yep.

I think the likes of Scott Brown could have had a decent career in England if he had went there when he was younger instead of staying at Celtic for years.

He was happy being a flat track bully though.

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If anything the past twenty years don’t really prove this. Brown and McGregor weren’t Celtic fans but have stayed, Barry Ferguson was ingrained in Rangers but left. It all depends as to what aims they have in football and their family etc.
The disparity between us and the EPL is that big now that a player can pretty much guarantee to double their wage at least by moving to some lower end team which is why we have sold Tierney, Armstrong etc on. Nobody of significant talent is going to stay in Scotland because the cash is just too much elsewhere, the only reason to stay is for family/social reasons, not for the love of kissing a badge.

If you are talking about players purely moving abroad then fair enough but it’s not often you see Scottish based players linked with big moves abroad tbh mainly because the clubs down south will usually dwarf them for fees and wages, that’s not really the players fault though.

Edited by gannonball

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Agreed. I think it’s a shame Callum McGregor never stayed down south when he went on loan, or went abroad. He’s a brilliant player but staying up here means he’s never really shown how far in the game he could have gone.

46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ukraine had their best chance in the first 10 mins where the captain (I think) blazed it over the bar with only a scrambling Gordon to beat. Then the above VAR/1-on-1 which looked onside. At about 35 mins they had a free header that the guy put past the post, unchallenged, from close range. Then about the 60th min mark there was a McFadden-Italy-esque slide in (less of a stretch in this case) but he caught it on the bounce and put it over when easier to hit the target and probably score. Then maybe about the 80th minute a volley of a dropping ball inside the penalty area that whisked past Gordon's left hand post.

Gordon had two good saves that I have not included (in addition to the VAR one on one chance) but he is of a standard you would expect him to make them or would have been disappointed if he hadn't, and have therefore not included those as Ukraine gilt edged. 

Scotland's 2 gilt edged were Adams in first minute and then Jack leaning back putting over the bar. 

So I would say 5:2 in terms of gilt edged chances in Ukraine's favour. 

36 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Agreed. I think it’s a shame Callum McGregor never stayed down south when he went on loan, or went abroad. He’s a brilliant player but staying up here means he’s never really shown how far in the game he could have gone.

It’s difficult to blame McGregor though tbh. His only opportunity to play down south was at Notts County when he was very young and interestingly formed a strong midfield partnership with Jack Grealish. 

To my knowledge, and I’m sure Celtic confirmed this despite the Record’s best efforts, there has never been a single bid for him therefore you can’t blame him for being stuck up here as opportunities never came his way.

I agree with your point about it being interesting to see how well he’d have done in a top 5 league.