Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

5 live has him as one of those that might get MOTM.........Sportsound on the other hand were criticising him.😂 Richard "dick" Gordon talked about him "rolling around like a trapeze artist". He also said that if RP got MOTM that "Twitter will be on fire".

If I was advising this laddie I would tell him to leave the country. 

Absolute embarrassment these c***s.

He winds up Rangers players and fans so the BBC will fucking hate him.

5 minutes ago, Baggio said:

Great to watch Scotland over the last week. So much to be proud of

From a personal point of view it was so good to see Stephen Kingsley come on and do his bit at the end. What a journey he has had after all those injury problems. From the start of last season when he was training with us before Hearts picked him up, to pulling on a Scotland top in his first competitive match in just over a year.

Glad to hear his missed penalty in the Scottish Cup final shootout 2 years ago was just a bad dream. 

Good for him though. I'm just happy he didn't get injured.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The BBC doing what the BBC do now,talking scotland down on all fronts is the new norm for them..........no paying my license anymore,they can send as many letters as they want.

Mon the Scotland  !!!

Against good teams early on in Clarke's tenure (Belgium home and away, Russia away) he liked to play a system like we saw last night. Defensive unorthodox winger on the left, two tidy destroyers in the middle (one more of a ball-player, one more of a destroyer), attacking midfielder pushed right up alongside a strong and fast striker. Also usually had a pacey winger on the right, although Snodgrass did play there one game.

Lot of faffing about in three years to get back to where we started [emoji6]

1 minute ago, Dav nan Gael said:

The BBC doing what the BBC do now,talking scotland down on all fronts is the new norm for them..........no paying my license anymore,they can send as many letters as they want.

Mon the Scotland  !!!

Indeed, not just in sporting terms.

It's just so great to watch a team of technically good, hard working players. For years I'd be confused as to how lesser nations would rock up and knock the ball around in tight spaces against us and be organised like an army but now we've got a team of guys who can do it in their sleep. Such a shame June didn't go our way as we'd be absolutely flying going to Qatar now, but it's important we just build on what we've got now.

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The wider media too. After a game against Sevco (maybe last season?) there was a picture of him on the back page of a tabloid (the Daily Record maybe) smiling with the headline being something like 'Vile Hibs thug Porto'.

Think the best thing about lastnight, is that it keeps and likely strengthens the squad togetherness that has been a hallmark of Clarkes time. We not know for certain theres a shot at a tournament coming up, we know for certain being in pot 2 puts us a kind draw away from going there automatically, and we know that we are going to be mixing it with Europes elite (not you England) in the NL. All of those things mean that this group, who all seem to WANT to play for Scotland, will continue to do so, and maybe even gives us a whisker of a chance more at convincing some others to do the same.

We have guaranteed ourselves tough but important international football for a good wee while.

I think it's the last team to touch the ball before the whistle gets it back. Not certain though.
Any time the final touch is in the penalty area if play is restarted with a drop ball then it goes to the defending teams gk, irrespective of who had the final touch before the ball went dead.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's just so great to watch a team of technically good, hard working players. For years I'd be confused as to how lesser nations would rock up and knock the ball around in tight spaces against us and be organised like an army but now we've got a team of guys who can do it in their sleep. Such a shame June didn't go our way as we'd be absolutely flying going to Qatar now, but it's important we just build on what we've got now.

It's really galling how that summer window went.  Auntie had baws stuff and belittle the conflict, but if our game against Ukraine goes ahead as normal in March with no war, I think we're probably going to Qatar.  The whole approach to the rearranged game was all off, and we may as well have just forfeited the way we handled it.  One team arrived wanting to earn their spot, and it wasn't us.  After that we were just an absolutely fucked gang of jobbers just trying to get to the end of the window.

But it happened how it happened, World Cup's away, and now we've got an absolutely brilliant platform to build on for perhaps the next four years.  Qualifying automatically for 2024 would be massive - and I really like how Clarke is already talking like that's the aim - then aim not to get relegated from League A, then who knows?  2026 World Cup goes from being just another long shot we might miss to something we genuinely stand a chance in getting to.  

Glad to hear his missed penalty in the Scottish Cup final shootout 2 years ago was just a bad dream. 
Good for him though. I'm just happy he didn't get injured.
Yikes has it been 2 years? It's all been one long horrible blur for Falkirk fans.

Sure most of these have been mentioned but :

1. How on earth was their left midfielder not given a second yellow for wiping out Porto? I was absolutely fuming/shouting at the telly from this moment till the final whistle. A bottle job from the ref.

2. Take a bow Steve Clarke and his team. Got the 3 games spot on even with all the selection problems. You could tell between him and the player there was a burning desire to make up for June.

3. we have a lot of very technically good players now, all very comfortable on the ball. what a difference this makes.

4. The back 4 were superb. Yes they had chances but they were excellent overall.

5. Absolute squad of top shaggers!!

2 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

1. How on earth was their left midfielder not given a second yellow for wiping out Porto? I was absolutely fuming/shouting at the telly from this moment till the final whistle. A bottle job from the ref.

The ref shat it from sending off 2 of their players.  I was convinced we were getting a red for the first soft challenge that went in.

10 hours ago, Leith Green said:

5 live has him as one of those that might get MOTM.........Sportsound on the other hand were criticising him.😂 Richard "dick" Gordon talked about him "rolling around like a trapeze artist". He also said that if RP got MOTM that "Twitter will be on fire".

If I was advising this laddie I would tell him to leave the country. 

Absolute embarrassment these c***s.

For a bit of balance, not that anyone on here will want that regarding BBC Scotland, you omitted to say that Richard "not a dick" Gordon mentioned Twitter going into meltdown if Porteous was given MOTM, because of what he saw on Twitter about Porteous pre-match. Also some quotes after the match from Richard Gordon about Porteous 

That marvellous challenge just at the very end

He did some very, very good things 

A calm piece of defending 

11 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

2. Take a bow Steve Clarke and his team. Got the 3 games spot on even with all the selection problems. You could tell between him and the player there was a burning desire to make up for June.

3. we have a lot of very technically good players now, all very comfortable on the ball. what a difference this makes.

4. The back 4 were superb. Yes they had chances but they were excellent overall.

5. Absolute squad of top shaggers!!

On point 1, it seemed a bit wierd at the time but I was in the pub and didnt catch a replay.

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

The ref shat it from sending off 2 of their players.  I was convinced we were getting a red for the first soft challenge that went in.

There was defo one of their players who the ref gave a "last chance" finger wag twice before he got his booking, then the same player made another tackle that could/should have been another yellow. Not just SPFL refs then.................😉

Thankfully your second point didnt come to pass !

Just now, kingjoey said:

For a bit of balance, not that anyone on here will want that regarding BBC Scotland, you omitted to say that Richard "not a dick" Gordon mentioned Twitter going into meltdown if Porteous was given MOTM, because of what he saw on Twitter about Porteous pre-match. Also some quotes after the match from Richard Gordon about Porteous 

That marvellous challenge just at the very end

He did some very, very good things 

A calm piece of defending 

Ach, always you and your "balance" man.....................

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

I thought last nights match was a masterclass in defensive organisation. The defence was superb. Porteous in particular was very good. The offside trap was on point all night.

I had the fear they would score up until the last few seconds on injury time. 

A good, gritty, organised performance that got us the result that we needed to get promoted. 

Promotion and a playoff secured AND we get to play with the big boys next time. 

Credit must go to Steve Clarke and the players for achieving promotion and showing such resilience after a disappointing summer.

Edited by Richey Edwards