Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

This may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I am/was completely puzzled by the award of possession to Ukraine after the referee changed his mind about our "penalty". The ball hit the defender's head and went out of play for a corner to Scotland before the referee blew for the penalty. How the hell can it be a drop ball to Ukraine? @craigkillie?

14 hours ago, Zazu said:

One performance against Rangers aside he's been excellent in big games for hibs so I expect him to step up to the plate tonight if he is starting. 

You were right here. I had my doubts about him, thought he would have shat it, but he played brilliantly.

That tackle in the box, last ten minutes had me shitting myself, but he timed it to perfection. Between him and Hendry for man of the match.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

This may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I am/was completely puzzled by the award of possession to Ukraine after the referee changed his mind about our "penalty". The ball hit the defender's head and went out of play for a corner to Scotland before the referee blew for the penalty. How the hell can it be a drop ball to Ukraine? @craigkillie?

Since he blew up for the foul before ball went out of play, the games dead at that point and I believe can only be re-started via a drop-ball. That's my understanding, not that I have read any of the rules ofcourse...

That’s a daft rule IMO, a bit of common sense should be applied (as it often is in tennis, for example)

If the ball had been kept in play, or had a reasonable chance to remain in play if the penalty whistle hadn’t been blown, then dropped ball makes sense. However in cases like this where the ball clearly would have gone out for a corner, that should be given. 

It would have been the decent sporting move for Ukraine to put the ball out for a corner or at least to give us the ball back. 

It's an excellent series of results, and really shows up those pressing the panic button back in the summer.

Clarke is an excellent coach and brings the best out of his players, who are happily our best squad this millennium.

Lots to be positive about for Scotland fans.

Hendry is a rather strange one, he is clearly an excellent player at this level but his club career still to take off and he's already 27. Meanwhile complete garbage like Shane Duffy have over 100 EPL appearances.

He looks a late bloomer but there is a lot more luck and chance involved at elite level football than most people would think.

He's surely cemented as first choice CB now with his partner in a two or three to be finalised.

21 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

Since he blew up for the foul before ball went out of play, the games dead at that point and I believe can only be re-started via a drop-ball. That's my understanding, not that I have read any of the rules ofcourse...

I understand that. But when you watch it back there is no way that he blows his whistle before the ball goes over the line for the corner.

Given that we’ve just took 7 points from 9 against teams that recently beat us 3-0 and 3-1 it’s remarkable that last nights thread had digs at McGregor, Gordon, McLean, Jack and Porteous to name a few. 

Can we not just celebrate 3 very good results and the success that comes with it and agree to leave club agendas off international threads ??

54 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

aye v annoying. If they let the "offiside" striker"advance to see if he scores before checking on VAR, then surely the next action following a "penalty" award/check should also come into play. In this case a corner. 

30 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given that we’ve just took 7 points from 9 against teams that recently beat us 3-0 and 3-1 it’s remarkable that last nights thread had digs at McGregor, Gordon, McLean, Jack and Porteous to name a few. 

Can we not just celebrate 3 very good results and the success that comes with it and agree to leave club agendas off international threads ??

McLean - he is one of the weakest members of the squad but hats off to him for continually turning up. Hopefully he won't be needed for any future squads.

Jack - not the force or presence he was last season but not been playing much.

Porteous - many suspected he would be rash and reckless in the build-up. he turned out to be immense only once (maybe twice) losing his man at a corner. Other than that he was fully focused for the whole game and some of his reading/interceptions were top class. 

Gordon and McGregor - immense. Untouchable - any balanced criticism would have been about dips in form of the latter (perhaps - and even then only through tiredness) and the former's kicking which let's face it, is rank. However we are very lucky to have him. 

Easy enough to be balanced (or as some folk would say have a dig) when talking about the team without being all happy clappy. 

3 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

McLean - he is one of the weakest members of the squad but hats off to him for continually turning up. Hopefully he won't be needed for any future squads.

Jack - not the force or presence he was last season but not been playing much.

Porteous - many suspected he would be rash and reckless in the build-up. he turned out to be immense only once (maybe twice) losing his man at a corner. Other than that he was fully focused for the whole game and some of his reading/interceptions were top class. 

Gordon and McGregor - immense. Untouchable - any balanced criticism would have been about dips in form of the latter (perhaps - and even then only through tiredness) and the former's kicking which let's face it, is rank. However we are very lucky to have him. 

Easy enough to be balanced (or as some folk would say have a dig) when talking about the team without being all happy clappy. 

Thank you.

For all the praise Hickey’s (deservedly) getting, we should remember that he’s never yet wiped out Jack Grealish, which is the benchmark we should hold all our right backs to.

I thought everyone last night, with one exception, was great. Kenny McLean is the exception - I’m very much not a fan of his anyway, but he just didn’t offer anything. I’ll accept that he was playing out of position, and he was a little bit better when Jack went off and he moved centrally, but still. Hopefully he won’t be in too many starting 11’s going forward, although can’t question his commitment turning up and playing wherever he’s asked. 

The offside trap was glorious. We’ve obviously identified that long ball in behind as a big threat of Ukraine’s, but basically nullified it all evening with a really disciplined performance from the back line. Don’t have much to add on what’s already been said about Porteous, but even as a fan of his I didn’t think he had that level of performance in him. And fair play to Greg Taylor who put in another good performance for 70 minutes despite clearly being unwell. 

For all that Ukraine dominated the ball for long spells, they basically had two good chances from open play, and some stuff at set pieces. Delightful. 

Think the team deserve huge amounts of credit for this window tbh. Very different games, very different things needed to grind them out, but each one got the result needed to do the job.

Think lastnight would be the one I gave most credit for previously but we have already seen this Clarke squad face up and give that sort of defensive and resilient performance before which is still fairly new for most of us watching Scotland. Its still great to see that we can really stick to our task and defend with purpose and skill. It's no accident or fluke. It's really skilled defending that seen that out.

But Ukraine at home was the best of the 3 for me, because what we need to progress is to learn to put teams to the sword.

I thought Jack was worse than McLean, particularly when you factor in McLean playing out of position. Otherwise a really enjoyable performance. Fair play to Hickey especially, his performances in the summer gave me the fear but he has been excellent, which was made harder last night because it felt like the Ukraine lads were told to absolutely smash into him at every opportunity. 

Great to watch Scotland over the last week. So much to be proud of

From a personal point of view it was so good to see Stephen Kingsley come on and do his bit at the end. What a journey he has had after all those injury problems. From the start of last season when he was training with us before Hearts picked him up, to pulling on a Scotland top in his first competitive match in just over a year.