Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Apparently, Turkey have been saying that we're playing them just before the wc. Nothing confirmed at our end just yet.

Saw that - hope it's true. Good to have a wee dash of Scotland near World Cup time, and to play a new opponent (especially while they are utter pipe)

On 25/09/2022 at 12:41, charger29 said:

The Ukranian broadcaster (and the Ukrainian FA) might be covering it on their YouTube channels. Not 100% though. Apparently they covered our previous game against Ukraine.

Ukraine broadcaster:

Ukraine FA channel: https://youtube.com/user/OfficialUkraineFA

This link has a pic of 3 Ukraine players and text saying “Live in 5 hours time”. Does anyone know for def if it’s going to be up on YouTube? If it’s true they showed last week’s match on the same channel then it’s entirely poss. Would certainly save me a score or so in bev down at the Cairngorm hotel if it is

On 26/09/2022 at 14:16, kennie makevin said:

Would make a good thread in itself, that. Most embarrassing 90 mins as Scotland fan. Very dependent on age of course but for me. England 5, Scotland 1. 1975. 

Any mention yet of Frank Haffey? Me, little, sitting in kitchen, David Francie (?) on radio explaining why a life of football supporting misery lay ahead.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Worth remembering this is an away game for Ukraine too.  I don't think they'll be going for it as much as folk think they will.

They need to win to qualify, get pot 2 etc, not sure why they wouldn't go for it?

36 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Brian Porto Porteous to come on in 92nd minute when we're one nil down and grapple a Ukranian to the floor in their penalty box, and to stick away a panenka to become a Scottish hero to all but the bitter Aberdonians on here.

Keep your chip on the shoulder club shit to the club pages please. 

I'd love that Porteous to score, and would prefer him to start ahead of Gallagher, and I'm bitter as f**k. 

They need to win to qualify, get pot 2 etc, not sure why they wouldn't go for it?

Yeah I don’t understand that logic. They have the same to play for as us. Ukrainian based players have been used to playing in Poland or a different part of Ukraine for a while now.

This will be a difficult task tonight, hopefully big Dec at centre half puts in the same shift as he done against Serbia.

Come on Scotland!

On 26/09/2022 at 14:49, calcutta said:
On 26/09/2022 at 14:42, DAFC. said:
There are far worse than that, Christ. Embarrassing formation and tactics, sure, but result wise? We only narrowly lost the game, and Czechia were pretty decent, certainly had a better pool than us. 
We got humped 3-0 in the summer there off a dreadful Ireland team. There's one quick example. 

Getting laughed at by a bunch of Italian pensioners, while having a hungover breakfast in a cafe somewhere near Genoa, the day after we lost to Costa Rica in Italia 90 is well up the embarrassment list for me

Losing to Costa Rica was no embarrassment. They were years ahead of us in technique and tactical nous. I was at this match…it was like watching dinosaurs vs ninjas. We humped the ball up to big tattie heid McInally hoping for knockdowns, they played it on the deck. Their goal was a thing of beauty. From memory I think they strung about 15 passes together without one of our outfield players touching the ball, from one end of the pitch to the other. Yes we squandered chances, but results are all that really matter in tournaments. Painful, but a sign of what was to come. Costa Rica went on to have a very good World Cup record - quarter finalists - and with a similar population to ours. In terms of embarrassment, the draw in the Faroes, or that stinking non-performance in Dublin must be up there. Or down there.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Keep your chip on the shoulder club shit to the club pages please. 

I'd love that Porteous to score, and would prefer him to start ahead of Gallagher, and I'm bitter as f**k. 

You may well get your wish on the starting players.........😉

35 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Any mention yet of Frank Haffey? Me, little, sitting in kitchen, David Francie (?) on radio explaining why a life of football supporting misery lay ahead.

Not sure who would have been commentating but it wouldn't have been Francey in 1961.

https://wiki.scotlandonair.com/wiki/David_Francey

Edited by Lurkst

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You may well get your wish on the starting players.........😉

Seen rumours that he's starting as well, will be absolutely delighted for him to win his first cap. 

One performance against Rangers aside he's been excellent in big games for hibs so I expect him to step up to the plate tonight if he is starting. 

Think he will suit playing against Ukraine's mobile forwards more than Gallagher who I'd prefer if Ukraine were playing with a big target man to hold the ball up. 

Wonder if he will be on the right or in the middle of the back 3 though, assuming Hendry and Kingsley are the other CBs. He's a bit bigger and stronger than Hendry so you'd possibly have him in the middle, but that could be a lot of pressure for his first cap, if he plays on the right then there's a bit more leeway if he loses the ball or makes a positional mistake. He's also been one of the best chance creators in the league so far this season so if he plays on the right then we can potentially use his press resistance and strong passing to good effect, although these are qualities that Hendry has too tbf. 

3 minutes ago, Zazu said:

Seen rumours that he's starting as well, will be absolutely delighted for him to win his first cap. 

One performance against Rangers aside he's been excellent in big games for hibs so I expect him to step up to the plate tonight if he is starting. 

Think he will suit playing against Ukraine's mobile forwards more than Gallagher who I'd prefer if Ukraine were playing with a big target man to hold the ball up. 

Wonder if he will be on the right or in the middle of the back 3 though, assuming Hendry and Kingsley are the other CBs. He's a bit bigger and stronger than Hendry so you'd possibly have him in the middle, but that could be a lot of pressure for his first cap, if he plays on the right then there's a bit more leeway if he loses the ball or makes a positional mistake. He's also been one of the best chance creators in the league so far this season so if he plays on the right then we can potentially use his press resistance and strong passing to good effect, although these are qualities that Hendry has too tbf. 

Its a tricky one, I agree with what you say on his performances, but I have been really impressed with Hendry over the last week or so, and rate Kingsley as well in the matches I have seen him.

I guess it depends who is around, but my gut is that a back 4 would be much better for those available.........but who knows, our coaching team will know better than us who is playing well and in what position !

Agree with the thinking here, except the height bit. Hendry is 3" taller than Porteous.

It would be interesting to see Porteous in a Scotland team. He has been with the squad from day one so it could make sense from that point of view especially if we are intending on using the same approach. A lot of people think he's gash but I'm just taking peoples word for it and given biases in Scottish football I wouldn't mind seeing for myself.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Losing to Costa Rica was no embarrassment. They were years ahead of us in technique and tactical nous. I was at this match…it was like watching dinosaurs vs ninjas. We humped the ball up to big tattie heid McInally hoping for knockdowns, they played it on the deck. Their goal was a thing of beauty. From memory I think they strung about 15 passes together without one of our outfield players touching the ball, from one end of the pitch to the other. Yes we squandered chances, but results are all that really matter in tournaments. Painful, but a sign of what was to come. Costa Rica went on to have a very good World Cup record - quarter finalists - and with a similar population to ours. In terms of embarrassment, the draw in the Faroes, or that stinking non-performance in Dublin must be up there. Or down there.

But Big Roy was playing?