Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

TBH, both the players called up have been talked about for over 6 months as potential caps .

McKay is not like McTomminay, however creative he may be 🤔

Kingsley is a good left-sided alternative in defence. 

I think my concern is the last time a Hearts player made a Scotland debut away to Ukraine.... 🫣🫣🫣

3 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

TBH, both the players called up have been talked about for over 6 months as potential caps .

Kingsley is a good left-sided alternative in defence. 

I think my concern is the last time a Hearts player made a Scotland debut away to Ukraine.... 🫣🫣🫣

I'm wondering if the plan is to sit in and hit them with pace on the counter with Fraser...McKay could be useful in that scenario. 

45 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm wondering if the plan is to sit in and hit them with pace on the counter with Fraser...McKay could be useful in that scenario. 

Possibly. I am not convinced that McKay is particularly fast in international terms. If I wanted a fast Hearts player who was in form, I'd call up Forrest (although I do think generally McKay is the better of the pair).

Anyway exciting times, they'll probably not get off the bench but contrive to return to Tynecastle with injuries 🙄

9 hours ago, charger29 said:

The Ukranian broadcaster (and the Ukrainian FA) might be covering it on their YouTube channels. Not 100% though. Apparently they covered our previous game against Ukraine.

Ukraine broadcaster:

Ukraine FA channel: https://youtube.com/user/OfficialUkraineFA

IlIl be away for work so potentially missing the game, but if this works you can expect greenies to everything you post from me for a year!! Vpn is not an issue

Still a bit surprised the likes of Murray Wallace can't get a call up, I appreciate it's not the ideal time to be bringing in older uncapped players but he has been playing at the championship level for years now and won multiple club POTY awards.

Depth is a real challenge for nations our size.

Gotta trust the manager who has pulled two excellent results out of the hat. Looking around the B league there aren't many better sides than Ukraine (or Scotland for that matter). We got a tough draw and have 4 wins from 5.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Much as I like Tierney, there wasn’t any noticeable drop-off when Taylor replaced him yesterday.

McKenna being out is a pain in the arse though.

Its really bad for our defence. He is such a good natural LCH that dropping anyone else in is a downgrade.

I suspect that we will bring in Gallagher on the left and play Jack or McLean for McTominay.

Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Ukraine are almost certainly going to better than they were last week and because they need the points, have more urgency and attacking play.

My worry with the expected line up is that under the cosh, we are going to be much slower breaking out and moving ball from defence to attack.

Whether it's McLean or Jack, neither are likely to stroll forward like McTominay does in that position. Taylor and Hickey are decent but way behind Patterson and Tierney in terms of getting the ball and driving it up field. Both players considerably slower as well I would say.

I think it's crucial that Adams and in particular Fraser play which I think they will, as we need outlets further up the park that can break at speed.

I think playing Dykes would be a mistake, he offers no pace and whilst he can hold the ball up, I think Adams hold up play is better.

Just have a feeling it will be one of those games where its constant pressure and played mostly in Scotlands half and we are defending well but struggling to break and get a foot on the game and hold any sort of possession.

One of the reasons I’d start Gallagher and Ryan Jack is because they both started in Belgrade, and I think we need to channel the energy of that night to get a result tomorrow. It’s worth remembering that it’s technically a neutral venue, but Poland will feel like a bit of a home away from home for the Ukrainian team by now. I think I’d avoid a back three given how poorly it worked against them in June, but would totally understand if Clarke feels extra defensive cover is needed. As a minimum, I think a traditional 4-3-3 will be needed rather than a 4-2-3-1. We don’t have the luxury of being able to play four attackers in this game.

Gordon

Hickey-Hendry-Gallagher-Taylor

McLean-Jack-McGregor

McGinn-Adams-Christie 

11 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Trying to 2nd guess what Steve Clarke will do is a mugs game but it could make more sense if McGinn is being considered to replace McTominay in central midfield as it will leave an attacking midfield spot for Barrie McKay to come in and provide cover for.

Edited by 2426255

According to Ukraine the pitch isn't in great condition. They're squad is training elsewhere.
Not sure if Scotland will do the same (although it might be mandated that the away team get an opportunity to train on the pitch the day before).

I think its worth saying as well that this isn't the same stadium which Ukraine played their previous home games. They played in Lodz for the last two. This is in Krakow.

32 minutes ago, charger29 said:

According to Ukraine the pitch isn't in great condition. They're squad is training elsewhere.
Not sure if Scotland will do the same (although it might be mandated that the away team get an opportunity to train on the pitch the day before).

I think its worth saying as well that this isn't the same stadium which Ukraine played their previous home games. They played in Lodz for the last two. This is in Krakow.

This is probably a good thing given that our squad is pretty beat up atm. Anything that reduces the game to a scrappy affair might help us. 

Gordon

Ralston  -  Hendry  -  Gallagher  -  Taylor

McGregor  -  Jack

Fraser  -  McGinn  -  Christie

Adams

Just as we were all getting excited about our back 4. God help us.
Same from me except I'd start Hickey if he's fit in place of Ralston.

I'm assuming that because Hickey remains with the squad he's not completely broken like so many others?