Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

I can understand the thoughts of wanting to switch to the back 5 now, especially with all the players missing.

But we would be switching away from a formation and system that just worked so convincingly against them, to one where we got slaughtered.

It doesn't seem like a good move tbh. Unless were going to sit really deep and do nothing but try an counter attack.

7 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I can understand the thoughts of wanting to switch to the back 5 now, especially with all the players missing.

But we would be switching away from a formation and system that just worked so convincingly against them, to one where we got slaughtered.

It doesn't seem like a good move tbh. Unless were going to sit really deep and do nothing but try an counter attack.

Agree with you, but also wouldn’t fault Clarke for feeling the need to change shape. Time will tell but hopefully he sticks

That is a lot of first choice players out now tbh. Not sure many teams could cope that easily with it tbf but we don’t have the depth (except at fullback) to deal with it, and players coming into the squad won’t have the understanding with the others. 

Bit of a nightmare this.

It’s pretty standard Scotland; we play a shite team with the sole intent of trying to stop us play, which includes hard tackling, before we play a decent side who we need go match and have to go into it with half a team. I’ve seen this film before. 

Mmm...add me to the formerly confident, now concerned camp. That's a lot of absences. Who do Ukraine have missing?

If we didn't know already, it's going to take a performance. Fingers crossed everyone has a good night, including the manager.

The way we've been playing leaves a lot on the shoulders of the CBs, so being forced into playing the sixth or seventh choice might make Clarke change the tactics a bit. At his best, Porteous can play that role in the Premiership (although I have no idea how quick he is) but it's such a big ask for a player making his debut who's also had a patchy start to the season.

I wouldn't have been surprised if McTominay's role would've been restricted on Tuesday anyway, but now I think it needs to be Jack who keeps us a bit sturdier. Fraser, McGinn, Christie and Adams all still start for me.

It's gonna be a huge ask and I don't think any of us can confidently predict how Clarke will line up. We'll be put through the ringer no matter what.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Wonder if Doig will start. 

Unless Taylor is injured I can't see it. Even if he is I reckon he'd still play Hickey at left back and Ralston on the right.

That's not me having a go at Doig's ability, more I don't see him giving debuts to players in this game if he can avoid it.