Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

12 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Fraser for Armstrong, Adams for Dykes, Gilmour for McTominay. We'll miss McTominay in certain respects as he's been a pretty effective driving force which Gilmour (or any other option) is unlikely to bring, but he's proven before to be useful in tough away games by how he uses the ball. 

Clarke seemed to suggest both full-backs are fine so no change there. 

It's gonna be a long, long night. 

All agreed, though Clarke will probably go with McLean or Jack to replace McTominay.

I remain forever a Gilmour fanboy though.

Love Armstrong, but you only need one of him or Christie in the team imho - Fraser offers that extra pace needed.

If they are on they will be geoblocked in the UK and you'd have to use a VPN to see them.

Not necessarily. There's been several occasions previously where Scotland games haven't been geoblocked by the oppositions host broadcaster. It's also possible they're doing it intentionally to allow Ukrainian refugees to watch from elsewhere.

I think we are now missing Nathan Patterson, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Grant Hanley, Liam Cooper, Andrew Robertson and Kieran Tierney from the defence alone.

With McTominay also missing from midfield we’re in big trouble. Seven EPL players who’d ordinarily be in the squad missing, with St Mirren/Hibs/Hearts/Norwich players the candidates to come in.

Advantage Ukraine, I think.

I wonder if there’s any temptation to go back to a 3-4-3 for extra defensive cover. If not then I’d look at 4-3-3 with McGregor, Jack and McLean all starting.

But I would strongly consider:

Gordon

Hendry-Gallagher-Kingsley

Hickey-Jack-McGregor-Taylor

McGinn

Christie-Adams

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Gallagher has never put a foot wrong for Scotland. 

How long ago was that though?

Sinde then he has been poor for Aberdeen, and is now apparently doing well at St Mirren. St Mirren players obviously shouldn’t be starting for Scotland in huge matches - it’s hugely worrying. He was also far more protected as he was middle of a back three. 

Edited by No_Problemo

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I wonder if there’s any temptation to go back to a 3-4-3 for extra defensive cover. If not then I’d look at 4-3-3 with McGregor, Jack and McLean all starting.

But I would strongly consider:

Gordon

Hendry-Gallagher-Kingsley

Hickey-Jack-McGregor-Taylor

McGinn

Christie-Adams

Switching to a back three/five was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the announcement. I like Kingsley, but he looks a lot more comfortable in a three rather than a two, albeit I’ve not seen him in a two many times. 

Was really confident about this earlier, a lot more apprehensive now 

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

So one of Porteous or Gallagher starts - we are fucked. 

Reckon Clarke probably will play Gallagher then, although Porteous was in the original squad. It’s not ideal but manageable if Gallagher can put in a performance similar to that of Serbia away.

Hmm....certainly alot more worried now that Tierney and McKenna are both out. For some reason, I always feel more secure and confident when KT is in the team.

..............................Gordon...........................

Hickey......Hendry......Gallagher.....Taylor

...................McGregor.....McLean................

Fraser..................McGinn.................Christie 

..................................Adams.............................

I think the team will shape up something like that. The Taylor/Gallagher side of defence gives me the fear, to be the point I would maybe switch Hickey to the left and bring in Ralston.

I would prefer a fit and on form Gilmour in the middle but its clearly gonna be McLean or Jack.

much less confident now