Ukraine v Scotland (27/9/22)

accies1874

Fraser for Armstrong, Adams for Dykes, Gilmour for McTominay. We'll miss McTominay in certain respects as he's been a pretty effective driving force which Gilmour (or any other option) is unlikely to bring, but he's proven before to be useful in tough away games by how he uses the ball. 

Clarke seemed to suggest both full-backs are fine so no change there. 

It's gonna be a long, long night. 

I can't see McSauce being dropped. I would assume Adams will come in for Dykes.

I don't think Armstrong will drop out either tbh. 

The rest depends upon injuries. Amazing to see not much drop off for all the changes at full-back.

I suppose the big question is will we go with three or four at the back? 

Just now, jagfox said:

I can't see McSauce being dropped. I would assume Adams will come in for Dykes.

I don't think Armstrong will drop out either tbh. 

The rest depends upon injuries. Amazing to see not much drop off for all the changes at full-back.

I suppose the big question is will we go with three or four at the back? 

McSauce is unfortunately suspended. 

17 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Clarke specifically mentioned Jack and McLean when asked about McTominay's absence so suspect it will be one of them. Adams I think is a given, Fraser I suspect will start. McGregor and Christie to run to Poland. 

I'd probably be looking to Jack in that case, although it might tell us something that Clarke's looked to McLean to see these games out. 

Yeah I think he will play McLean to replace McTominay. He is clearly a player that SC likes and trusts and I think he would drive forward a little more than Jack or Gilmour would so think he will get nod.

Adams will come in for Dyles

Would also be surprised if Fraser didn't come in too probably for Armstrong 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

It would be fucking mental to start McLean over Gilmour IMO. I can see why he may choose McLean to come on to see out a game over Gilmour, but definitely not to start. 

I'd like to see gilmour start, but I have a feeling it will be McLean.

I can understand Gilmour not coming on tonight to an extent. Best to keep him out the road of that ireland team.

I've always thought playing Gilmour and McGregor together as the pair in midfield was a bit of an issue for us, but to be fair to them that's only really been true when we've stupidly done that with two forwards and left ourselves woefully short in midfield. If it's a back four again, or we switch to the 3/5, and we're only playing with one up top, then I'd be less wary of both Gilmour and McGregor together because there will be a third player, presumably McGinn, playing in that bank.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have no idea what you mean. Scotland getting themselves into a position where they just need to avoid defeat to finish the job couldn’t possibly go wrong. 

Well that’s tempting fucking fate if ever I saw it. 

It would be fucking mental to start McLean over Gilmour IMO. I can see why he may choose McLean to come on to see out a game over Gilmour, but definitely not to start. 

The fact we haven't seen Gilmour in either game suggests to me he's miles off in terms of fitness.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The fact we haven't seen Gilmour in either game suggests to me he's miles off in terms of fitness.

Aye, that's frustrating. He was seen as a great hope for the future of the midfield and looked to develop into a great playmaker for the national side, but he seems to have fallen away. I can remember thinking that he was a shoe-in for 100 caps. 

If earlier performances (and hype) from the relatively recent past had been an indication of his quality and progress, a physically and match fit Gilmour would be a massive asset. Here's hoping...