The King of Soft Drinks

Adam Sandler Time GIF

Water is the answer here. Lovely, refreshing water.

Used to have a bit of a 'habit' with some fizzy drinks. On work days would have a can of Diet Coke at 10.00 then a 500ml bottle with lunch a couple of hours later. At 15.00 I'd have a can of Diet Irn Bru. I'd have a glass of Diet Coke with my dinner (glass size being about a can and a quarter), sometimes even having one when making dinner. I'd then have another glass later in the evening before finishing off with yet another glass. A ludicrous amount each day.

On weekends I'd power through a load as well. If hungover, would smash near enough a 2L bottle of Diet Irn Bru on a Sunday on top of more Diet Coke.

Did that for years, many years. Didn't even realise just how much I was getting through each day. Every Sunday I'd stock up on cans and 500ml bottles, and would supplement this with buying 2L bottles of Diet Coke throughout the week.

Stopped last year when I started getting mad heartburn and indigestion issues. Haven't had a single drop of any fizzy drink in close to a year. It was surprisingly easy to do, and I don't really miss it. Water all the way now. Heartburn and digestion issues cleared up fairly quick (aside from an odd flare up of heartburn, but that's much more rare now).

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Never had the sour apple but can mind limeade being a favourite from the chippy.
Always thought Garvies made it though 88d38f451ecf8db4ffc108753d5dac16.jpg

When I searched for photos of the apple crush a few pictures like this one came up. Think the Garvie's brand must have been bought by a Dunns at some point. There was a Garvie's limeade photo too so you're not imagining it!

Every Scottish town seemed to have a local soft drinks maker at one point. 

There was a mysterious factory near Meadowbank making Hendries Soft drinks but I never saw the stuff on sale anywhere 

The away end at Easter Road (now the boringly named South Stand) was known as the Dunbar End. I used to think it was named after the town of Dunbar but it was named after Dunbar's soft drinks plant that was behind the terrace. You can still see a painted sign on the wall in the new houses next to the South Stand

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Adam Sandler Time GIF

Used to have a bit of a 'habit' with some fizzy drinks. On work days would have a can of Diet Coke at 10.00 then a 500ml bottle with lunch a couple of hours later. At 15.00 I'd have a can of Diet Irn Bru. I'd have a glass of Diet Coke with my dinner (glass size being about a can and a quarter), sometimes even having one when making dinner. I'd then have another glass later in the evening before finishing off with yet another glass. A ludicrous amount each day.

On weekends I'd power through a load as well. If hungover, would smash near enough a 2L bottle of Diet Irn Bru on a Sunday on top of more Diet Coke.

Did that for years, many years. Didn't even realise just how much I was getting through each day. Every Sunday I'd stock up on cans and 500ml bottles, and would supplement this with buying 2L bottles of Diet Coke throughout the week.

Stopped last year when I started getting mad heartburn and indigestion issues. Haven't had a single drop of any fizzy drink in close to a year. It was surprisingly easy to do, and I don't really miss it. Water all the way now. Heartburn and digestion issues cleared up fairly quick (aside from an odd flare up of heartburn, but that's much more rare now).

I used to drink multiple cans daily and the heart burn was murder.

I also switched to water and the heart burn eventually disappeared as well.

I still have the occasional can, but I mostly drink water nowadays.

200.gif

The best water I've ever had was Backwater spring water. Source is near the Backwater Reservoir up the back of Kirriemuir.
There was talk of commercially bottling it but I think logistics and infrastructure scuppered it.
The stuff had absolutely no hint of any taste whatsover, it was just totally refreshing.

55 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

The best water I've ever had was Backwater spring water. Source is near the Backwater Reservoir up the back of Kirriemuir.
There was talk of commercially bottling it but I think logistics and infrastructure scuppered it.
The stuff had absolutely no hint of any taste whatsover, it was just totally refreshing.

Peckham Spring ..

It always amuses me when I see Strathmore Spring in posh hotels when I've passed the scruffy looking plant on the way to Station Park.

• 5 weeks later...