Pars vs Peterhead - Sat 1st October

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

E2A47E6B-7F5D-4E4C-BE53-50F6EB8B134D.jpeg

I’ve made a Cnut of it.

Peterhead offered nothing but we were poor. First half we had a lot of the ball but did nothing with it. Second half much better but a complete lack of concentration at the end. Mochrie was really good again.

Ref was shite, so bad.

Sad that it ended the way it did as the two new boys came in, looked lively, taking the ball, looking to create yet it’s overshadowed by the poor goals we gave away at the end.

Was so silent at the end. No one venting, just everyone shuffling out in disbelief.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think a few Dundee fans warned us that McPake was both a stubborn git and that his subs often made the difference the wrong way. Seems spot in so far.

No arguments from me regarding subs. MacDonald wasn’t great in the first and he opted to bring on Wighton who took a while to get going but got better as the half went on. Chalmers was having a decent game but was on a booking so can see why he brought Hamilton on. Let’s be honest, Hamilton should be starting every week. Then he gave Mahon his debut and he showed some nice touches with a great pass for Edwards to assist Todorov and finally at 2 nil he gives Ritchie-Hosler his debut with 3 mins to go, to anyone the game was done.

What exactly should we have done differently? Peterhead weren’t exactly threatening, we didn’t need to take off a forward for a centre half. Things were fine, then a random goal followed by a header from a set piece, was never a foul for them in a million years.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Peterhead will rightly be thrilled with the point but I think it will be very tough for them to avoid a bottom two finish.

Guy up top seemed frisky in the first half.

pleased would cover it, we have a squad of around 28 but with injury possible suspensions & delays in paperwork we could not list one recognized striker today. Oh for the days of McAllister & Rodgers. Think we should improve as players return but was pleasing to see our part timers press a full time team right until the end

Edited by peternapper

Complete shambles is an understatement.

Cruised the whole game without ever actually looking that threatening. Got the two goals, game over.....

What's the deal with Hamilton? Is he carrying a knock? Surely having him deep, Todd running around like a dafty, and Mochrie providing creativity is an absolute no brainer as a starting three?

Mehmet was in no man's land for the equaliser but fair play to the big man getting his head to it.

Referee was another shocker. Getting tedious going away from games thinking that. Just so many basic things wrong.

Peterhead parked the bus and never looked remotely threatening. Other than the free kick that hit the bar and the two goals I can't remember another chance they had. We just lacked the pace or quality to break them down until two excellent balls in by Edwards.

Fair play to Peterhead, but the match was won by the 85th minute but for a collective meltdown.

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

Peterhead parked the bus and never looked remotely threatening. Other than the free kick that hit the bar and the two goals I can't remember another chance they had. We just lacked the pace or quality to break them down until two excellent balls in by Edwards.

Fair play to Peterhead, but the match was won by the 85th minute but for a collective meltdown.

In the first half we did have what from admittedly the far end of the ground a good pen shout when Scullion broke clear & went down in the box. Wish we had Connor O,Keefe fit yesterday as the Pars very vulnerable to a ball in behind them & would have got a few chances, typical of the way our season has been we had no actual striker available to play yesterday  

8 minutes ago, peternapper said:

In the first half we did have what from admittedly the far end of the ground a good pen shout when Scullion broke clear & went down in the box. Wish we had Connor O,Keefe fit yesterday as the Pars very vulnerable to a ball in behind them & would have got a few chances, typical of the way our season has been we had no actual striker available to play yesterday  

You're right. I would have been shouting for that if it was going the other way but my initial thought was it would have been very soft. 

Just watched the highlights. As with most other game, so much of our finishing was dreadful. Far too many players really need to work on it.

The goals conceded were appalling. For the first, Wighton totally loses his man and gives him pretty much a tap in. For the second, Mehmet massively fucks up his positioning. Really unsure what he was doing there!

Some amusing swearing after the equaliser though.

Wighton just doesn’t look interested at all. He is being played out of position constantly to be fair, but a handful of goals in 18 months is extremely poor. Chalmers does the bare minimum that has guaranteed him a starting place, but if we are wanting to actually win second balls and win the midfield battle, the man is needing dropped. He has no killer final ball and he can’t score from long range either.

McPake seriously needs to get a grip of his tactics as well. He cannot continue playing 3 centre backs when one is clearly not one (Comrie - he barely wins headers and his defending is really suspect) and stop playing strikers like Wighton and McCann out wide or in deeper positions.

We’ve now got players to play those tactics or others (the 3 loan signings I’m referring to) If they are shite, then that’s all down to McPake. But for fs stop fudging players that got us relegated last season in positions that don’t suit them! So frustrating.

When did Wighton last look arsed about football? 

Don't how he did for Arbroath but I still think hes running out his football career and will kick on with something else, like decorating, when it finally fizzles out. 

Which....I think is a class idea tbf. Money for nothing. 

37 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

When did Wighton last look arsed about football? 

Don't how he did for Arbroath but I still think hes running out his football career and will kick on with something else, like decorating, when it finally fizzles out. 

Which....I think is a class idea tbf. Money for nothing. 

I’m not usually a fan of footballers being branded lazy/disinterested. But Wighton’s body language has been awful for a while. He doesn’t fight for anything, he seems to give up if a pass isn’t straight to him. Backs out of every challenge. If he’s carrying an injury, get that injury sorted before he plays again. He’s not going to be an asset to any team, the way he’s been for the last year or so.

MacDonald isn’t a great player, in terms of technical ability. But he fights for everything, chases every lost cause and can play some great balls into the box. He’s been useful at points this season and will be useful as the season goes on. In the second half, Wighton gave up on a lot of balls that I think MacDonald would have got on the end of. Bringing Wighton on our wife was just strange. When we switched to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, we should have brought on at least one of the young wingers we brought in on Friday. McCann and Wighton out wide at the start of the second half, with 2 wingers on the bench, was just stupid.

The fact that we then brought one of the young wingers on in the middle of midfield made it worse. He looked lost and that’s when we completely lost the midfield - and ultimately lost the lead.

By the way, worth adding that I was impressed with Mahon when he came on. He certainly has something we’ve lacked so far this season.

Hopefully the players and McPake learn from yesterday’s poor decisions late on and we don’t see a repeat of that complacency/slack play. At least McPake’s interview was honest. Acknowledged we weren’t good enough and didn’t deserve to win. Prefer that realism after a poor performance, than the rubbish Hughes/Grant would spout.

Another first half poor performance at home. No league goals for us in a home first half this season.

I like McPake, think we all do so far, and im glad he is honest and to the point, but this problem needs addressing. Cant keep up that poor record and expect to get promoted.

On 01/10/2022 at 22:07, par-adise said:

Complete shambles is an understatement.

Cruised the whole game without ever actually looking that threatening. Got the two goals, game over.....

What's the deal with Hamilton? Is he carrying a knock? Surely having him deep, Todd running around like a dafty, and Mochrie providing creativity is an absolute no brainer as a starting three?

Mehmet was in no man's land for the equaliser but fair play to the big man getting his head to it.

Referee was another shocker. Getting tedious going away from games thinking that. Just so many basic things wrong.

The refereeing thing is what it is.

Our top refs are hellish, so dont expect the guys doing the lower leagues to be anything other than decent(on occasion) to mediocre on a regular basis.