Doig and Gallagher called up.

Hoose Rice

Still light on forward options with two out and none in. Another CB was probably necessary - not sure it had to be Gallagher but I've not got any names - but Doig's a weird one. I like him and think he should've got a call-up before now, however it seems a bit unnecessary.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Still light on forward options with two out and none in. Another CB was probably necessary - not sure it had to be Gallagher but I've not got any names - but Doig's a weird one. I like him and think he should've got a call-up before now, however it seems a bit unnecessary.

Cover now that Hickeys went to RB and with Turnbull out can play further forward too. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gallagher absolutely deserves it.

He played in a basketcase setup under a basketcase manager last season and looked shite as a result.

Last season has been the only real blemish on his top flight career. 

Would rather see other options than internationally inexperienced 32 year old being called up. Don't think Motherwell fans ever rated him that well.

Edited by red23

Gallagher absolutely deserves it.
He played in a basketcase setup under a basketcase manager last season and looked shite as a result.
Last season has been the only real blemish on his top flight career. 

A top flight career in which he’s finished above 8th once. Good for teams who are defending most of the time but I don’t think we should be calling him up unless we’re very short (as we are now).

3 minutes ago, red23 said:

Would rather see other options than internationally inexperienced 32 year old being called up. Don't think Motherwell fans ever rated him that well.

9 caps for your country since late 2019 is hardly internationally inexperienced. He was semi regular when he was with Morherwell.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

A top flight career in which he’s finished above 8th once. Good for teams who are defending most of the time but I don’t think we should be calling him up unless we’re very short (as we are now).

'A central defender who is good for teams who defend' being used as a negative is quite the mental gymnastics.

Gallagher should have been in the original squad, so no surprise to see him called up now. He was outstanding in our biggest match in a generation in Serbia less than two years ago.
Not much of a gamble.

Both make sense. Gallagher is experienced and provides sensible cover.

With Patterson out, we lose a potential LB due to Hickey starting. I hope not, but there may be concerns over Tierney as well.

Doig is playing in Serie A, so even with zero time it’s an opportunity to be involved. 

We have better cover at full back, and it’s less a critical position than centre back, so makes sense we can bring in someone young who may well not play.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Kingsley must've pumped Clarke's Mrs to be behind Gallagher in the queue.

Happy enough with Doig, will be good experience for him.

Kingsley took a knock on Sunday as was never in contention to be picked because of it. With Neilson getting a knock for the U21's today it's probably a good thing.