Father and Son

tamthebam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-62970927

This caught my eye- Father Willie and son Lewis played in the same game for Queen of the South. 

Now it depends on what you class as "senior" football as Roddy Macdonald and Roddy Macdonald Junior both played for Cuminestown in the Aberdeen Juniors in the early 1990s. Some East football fans maybe able to tell me if Jackie Myles Senior and Junior ever played together too.

Anybody out there able to piss on Queen of the South's chips? :lol:

The Juniors don't count.  It's right there in the name! 

Surely some Hielan' League team has had a faither / son teammate situation, given that there are only about 20 families in the whole of the Highlands, but I suppose the BBC are going for the whole "SPFL = senior football" thing.   

Not in Scotland but Scots, Alex Herd and his son David Herd played together for Stockport County in 1951. Alex was capped for Scotland in a war time international, David was capped 5 times. Alex spent most his playing career with Manchester City after moving from Hamilton Accies and David with Arsenal, Manchester United and Stoke City but never with a Scottish club. Angus’ brother, Sandy, was also capped for Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2022 at 13:20, tamthebam said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-62970927

This caught my eye- Father Willie and son Lewis played in the same game for Queen of the South. 

Now it depends on what you class as "senior" football as Roddy Macdonald and Roddy Macdonald Junior both played for Cuminestown in the Aberdeen Juniors in the early 1990s. Some East football fans maybe able to tell me if Jackie Myles Senior and Junior ever played together too.

Anybody out there able to piss on Queen of the South's chips? :lol:

We've been misquoted. What we said was first time ever in SPFL level football. I've no idea if it has happened in the non league seniors but it would be a surprise if it hasn't somewhere.

They'd played in the same game earlier this season incidentally up at Elgin in the League Cup but Wullie was subbed off before Lewis came on so they weren't on the pitch at the same time. They were against Edinburgh.

On 22/09/2022 at 14:18, Eednud said:

Not in Scotland but Scots, Alex Herd and his son David Herd played together for Stockport County in 1951. Alex was capped for Scotland in a war time international, David was capped 5 times. Alex spent most his playing career with Manchester City after moving from Hamilton Accies and David with Arsenal, Manchester United and Stoke City but never with a Scottish club. Angus’ brother, Sandy, was also capped for Scotland.

We found a few examples outside Scotland. Current Dundee manager Gary Bowyer played a couple of games with his dad Ian at Herefore United I think. There was a pair in Northern Ireland too. Rivaldo apparently played with his son in Brazil. Alexei Eremenko Snr played with both of his sons in different teams at stages in his career. Couldn't find another example in Scotland though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

There was a dispute amongs the Juveniles in the early 1900s regarding age limits, the view of the Edinburgh clubs was that it was the right for a father to play alongside their son. An age limit of 27 was agreed upon at the time.

On 09/10/2022 at 19:33, Sweaty Morph said:

I could have sworn blind that Mark Yardley played with his (step?) son at some point in his career. Had a quick Google but can't see anything. Have I completely made this up? Seems too niche for it to be something I've just invented!

I’m sure I read about that at the time when he was with St Mirren.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 18:49, velo army said:

Not Scotland at all, obviously, but when Eidur Gudjonnsen (sp?) came on for his international debut he played alongside his father. 

No he didn't.

He replaced his father as direct sub. He then got a bad injury and by the time he recovered Arnur had retired. They never played together.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No he didn't.

He replaced his father as direct sub. He then got a bad injury and by the time he recovered Arnur had retired. They never played together.

My version is better. I'm sticking with that. 

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

My version is better. I'm sticking with that. 

My father and I both played in several Champions League Finals for Real Madrid then.  😉

Ironically, the Gudjonsson's would have played together but the Icelandic FA deliberately didn't want them on the pitch together for the first time at an away game, preferring to wait for the next game due in Rejkavjik. Such is football, Eidur's bad injury meant it never happened. Presumably they were left kicking themselves.

Edited by Skyline Drifter