Interesting development in Northern Ireland

Salt n Vinegar

21 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I Jimmy Nesbitt is getting abused for wanting to have a discussion about the future of Ireland both north and south 

Unionist in NI apparently don’t have anything to offer other than how much you should hate the other side 

The other side murdered my wife's nephew from her first marriage.

The other side murdered our next door neighbour's brother-in-law.

The other side murdered our postman.

The other side blew up an off duty UDR man. And his 10 year old daughter he was giving a lift to school. (Collateral damage, I suppose)

The other side murdered a stepdaughter's ex-partners father, after he visited his wife and new born son. At least they waited until he had left the hospital,, although his wife heard the shots.

The other side blew up the cousin of another stepdaughter's partner.

The other side blew up the cousin of an usher at our wedding.

The other side murdered Kenny Shiels' brother. 

The other side murdered my brother-in-law's boss.

The other side tried to ambush my future father-in-law (he died before we got married) and my brother-in-law.

The other side tried to ambush my stepson.

The other side ambushed a neighbour and left his arm practically useless.

The other side ambushed another neighbour and left him blind in one eye.

These all happened within 4 miles of my home, apart from our usher's cousin, whose family I know well.

One side was certainly doing a lot of hating.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Pretty much unionist in 2022 

They offer no real argument for NI to remain in the UK, just phoney culture wars 

10 brutal murders just dismissed as "phoney culture wars"? O.K.

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

10 brutal murders just dismissed as "phoney culture wars"? O.K.

That’s unfair I didn’t dismiss anything of the sorts 

Im talking about NI today in 2022, not the past 

NI doesn’t even have a government because unionist have thrown the toys out the pram

Not to mention that strange hate towards the Irish language and the riots over how often a flag should be flown a few years ago 

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

That’s unfair I didn’t dismiss anything of the sorts 

Im talking about NI today in 2022, not the past 

NI doesn’t even have a government because unionist have thrown the toys out the pram

Not to mention that strange hate towards the Irish language and the riots over how often a flag should be flown a few years ago 

Life's unfair, particularly for the 9 families affected by those murders.

NI didn't have a government for 3 years because Sinn Fein threw their rattles out of the pram.

The Irish people must have a strange hate for their own language, seeing as most of them can't be bothered speaking it. I thought you were concentrating on today, not past riots.

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Irish people must have a strange hate for their own language, seeing as most of them can't be bothered speaking it

You’re reminding me a lot of unionist attitudes over here towards Gaelic and Scots 

You are though kinda backing up my point when I say unionism is offering absolutely nothing these days

On 03/10/2022 at 08:33, Jacksgranda said:

The other side murdered my wife's nephew from her first marriage.

The other side murdered our next door neighbour's brother-in-law.

The other side murdered our postman.

The other side blew up an off duty UDR man. And his 10 year old daughter he was giving a lift to school. (Collateral damage, I suppose)

The other side murdered a stepdaughter's ex-partners father, after he visited his wife and new born son. At least they waited until he had left the hospital,, although his wife heard the shots.

The other side blew up the cousin of another stepdaughter's partner.

The other side blew up the cousin of an usher at our wedding.

The other side murdered Kenny Shiels' brother. 

The other side murdered my brother-in-law's boss.

The other side tried to ambush my future father-in-law (he died before we got married) and my brother-in-law.

The other side tried to ambush my stepson.

The other side ambushed a neighbour and left his arm practically useless.

The other side ambushed another neighbour and left him blind in one eye.

These all happened within 4 miles of my home, apart from our usher's cousin, whose family I know well.

One side was certainly doing a lot of hating.

To paraphrase Newton Emerson in The Portadown News, after first wiping most of the blood off his hands Gerry Adams offered the hand of friendship to Northern Ireland's Unionist community...

What's pathetic more than anything else is the way some people on here seem to view politicians like Gerry Adams as progressive leftists and are clearly mystified why there is still no huge surge of enthusiasm for a United Ireland from the people who were targeted in this manner in the era of the baby boom and the armalite.

Half of that we don't need to persuade them as part of a democratic process we'll just outbreed them and murder them until we get what we want equation is still on display in this thread. Slow learners indeed.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 22/09/2022 at 11:07, LongTimeLurker said:

Wonder why somebody called James O'Brien would lead with that story. Unionists will actually be quite relieved by these numbers. As usual the demographic shift has failed to live up to all the hype. Best to check out websites like Slugger O'Toole for what's really happening in NI:

https://www.sluggerotoole.com/2022/09/21/what-tomorrows-census-results-will-tell-us-and-just-as-importantly-what-it-will-not/

...The term Protestant is (as has been the case in mainland UK for most of the late sovereign’s reign) is becoming less and less relevant even for religiously observant members of what we used to call the Reformed Faith.

As I argued in that review those areas which see the largest number stating they are neither Protestant nor Catholic are almost exclusively in majority Protestant areas (like North Down, 12% against an NI average of 5.6% in 2011 and 2.7% in west Belfast)...

I'm not sure about this. As I understand it, Slugger O'Toole was drunk as a rule. 

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't recall Celtic players singing/chanting pro IRA slogans.

I never said they did.  I said chants like that are frequently made here and neither the club or the authorities acknowledge that it happens.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

The country that the team was representing last night exists because of the IRA. 

I know a lot of the FF/FG crowd don't like this but tough and tough on any British people thinking it's any of their business.

It's a Provo chant that was based off a Gap Band single from 1979.