The Andy Robertson conundrum

Donathan

I think his game's developed enough over the years to say he could potentially play where Christie did but it's a bit of a pointless complication imo.

For what it's worth, I don't think the outcome of that game would've been any different with Robertson. Tierney did well but Robertson would've delivered the same imo.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think his game's developed enough over the years to say he could potentially play where Christie did but it's a bit of a pointless complication imo.

For what it's worth, I don't think the outcome of that game would've been any different with Robertson. Tierney did well but Robertson would've delivered the same imo.

The other point of note is that Robertson is on dreadful form so far this season. Even if both were fit, I’d have backed Tierney to start if only one was to be chosen. I think it’s completely fine to just play whoever’s on better form.

I also don’t think the back three is completely dead. It has it’s uses against top sides if we are playing for a point, or against lower sides when we can give the wing backs (and even the LCB and RCB) full licence to get forward and support the attack. However, back four is a must in evenly matched games when there’s a huge danger of getting overrun in the midfield. 

With all due respect.... I fail to see any 'conundrum' here.

The Tierney v Robertson thing has been resolved.

Personally... cant help feeling sorry for wee Billy Gilmour.He moves to Brighton cos the manager wanted him.Manager then fucks off to Chelsea and 'the big time.'

Meantime....the wee man gets no game time.He must be totally scunnered.

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think his game's developed enough over the years to say he could potentially play where Christie did.

Oh Jesus suffering fcuk no!

Andy Robertson has never been and never will be an attacking midfielder. He'd be about 10th in the depth chart in any named squad for one of those positions.

Just because we played well last night with 4 at the back doesn't mean we should throw 5 in the bin. Tierney and Robbo together has proven to work.

We just need to stop putting McTominay at the back when we play 5.

I'd stick with the formation last night and put Tierney in at centre half for McKenna and Robertson at left back. Not that McKenna did anything particularly wrong, i just think Tierney is better in that position than him.

McTominay - McGregor - McGinn should now be our first choice central midfield trio. That was probably the main difference between last night and June for me. In June McTominay was at centre back and they ran all over the top of our midfield. With him and his physicality in the middle of the park last night that didn't happen - granted it also helped that their best player Zinchenko wasn't playing. 

20 minutes ago, Lex said:

McTominay - McGregor - McGinn should now be our first choice central midfield trio. That was probably the main difference between last night and June for me. In June McTominay was at centre back and they ran all over the top of our midfield. With him and his physicality in the middle of the park last night that didn't happen - granted it also helped that their best player Zinchenko wasn't playing. 

McTominay should have been playing in our midfield years ago - fcuking stupid defensive experiment that went on far too long.

But anyway, aye. I'm one of Gilmour's biggest fans, but he has to be playing well enough that he can shift McGregor from the team. If he can do that great, cos he'll have to be playing really fcuking well.

Edited by ArabFC

Oh Jesus suffering fcuk no!
Andy Robertson has never been and never will be an attacking midfielder. He'd be about 10th in the depth chart in any named squad for one of those positions.
Just because we played well last night with 4 at the back doesn't mean we should throw 5 in the bin. Tierney and Robbo together has proven to work.
We just need to stop putting McTominay at the back when we play 5.
He moves into that position plenty of times throughout a game for Liverpool. He's not great at it which is part of the reason why he's been below par for a while, but he's a more rounded player than he was when it was being suggested four or five years ago so he probably could do it.

It wouldn't be my choice and, like I said, he'd have done well at left-back last night anyway.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Backup for KT. 

They are both injured often enough that he will still feature semi regularly. 

If he doesn't like it then retire. He'll be remembered as the Scotland captain who went drinking days before a World Cup playoff. 

Who said he did that ?

48 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Imagine seeing a 10 second clip of someone enjoy a possibly alcoholic beverage and angrily punching your keyboard over it 4 months later.

I'd like to be looking forward to the World Cup.

Would Robertson have been out drinking 3 days before a Liverpool cup final? No chance. 

He had a complete nightmare in the playoff then dropped out the Nations League which tells you all you need to know.