Super John McGinn Appreciation Thread

Lyle Lanley

• 5 months later...

Just watched this video of McGinn's highlights v Spurs. He looks much leaner than he has in recent months and years and I'm wondering how much Emery has influenced that. He's always been a great athlete, but I always got the impression he was still a bit Scottish in his eating habits. 

He looks brilliant. I'm suddenly feeling great about the June games.

16 hours ago, velo army said:

Just watched this video of McGinn's highlights v Spurs. He looks much leaner than he has in recent months and years and I'm wondering how much Emery has influenced that. He's always been a great athlete, but I always got the impression he was still a bit Scottish in his eating habits. 

He looks brilliant. I'm suddenly feeling great about the June games.

Almost an arse hat-trick too, from about 1:10 onwards.

What a player.

SJM did a lot of similarly good things in his recent performance for us against Spain to his performance against Tottenham.

https://streamable.com/7i1of2

Highlights reels are a bit one sided and can be misleading if we're being honest so no point taking a whole lot from that. Physically I can't say I've really noticed a massive improvement if others hadn't pointed it out and is in the sort of murky territory of being hard to quantify but if it's the case then that's good.

Obviously he is and has been for a while one of our key players.

Edited by 2426255

• 3 months later...

He was so, so good at the weekend. He's simply just unplayable in that form. His combination of technique, strength and intelligence is so effective, and also completely unique. A fantastic and interesting player to watch, I think even if he wasn't Scottish he would still be one of my favourite players to watch.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think most Scotland fans have heard this before, but it's come up again for some reason and with something almost identical happening since with Scott McTominay you have to say it reflects really well on Steve Clarke. 

I thought I was done. You kind of have a feeling as a player, at the time the supporters thought I was honking, I had just come out of the team and the team was doing well for a couple of games. You’re not stupid as a footballer, you think 'right, you might start having to look elsewhere', which I did. 

I spoke to the manager (Emery). He had every stat, every detail on his notepad, times of appearances I had played for St Mirren, Hibs, goals. Then he asked what my preferred position was and I just said not on the bench. I think he was getting a gauge on why I hadn't been playing so well, he then brought up the Scotland goals. 

Why are you scoring this for Scotland and not Aston Villa? Maybe a thank you to Steve Clarke putting me higher up the pitch because I said I play here for Scotland, a right-10, right-wing, which I hadn't done before. Steve Clarke showed a bit of faith and I started getting some goals. From there he said, before we played Man United, he said you might play, might not. Next game I was on the bench! I came on and the next game I started. Ever since then I have played the majority of the games which has been good.

John McGinn

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/john-mcginn-considered-aston-villa-28776366

Edited by 2426255

18 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

That's good strategic thinking. Means he'll get a wee rest and be fresher for the summer.

Good work from our midfield regulars to be fair. McGinn and Gilmour getting themselves three week rests with red cards and McGregor having himself a wee break till April too!

McTomnay not really playing enough games to need a break I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Watched the Villa game yesterday and when McGinn and his team mates went to the corner to appreciate the Villa travelling support my mind started wandering to Germany June 14th 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Scotland weather a first half storm from Germany and turn it on 2nd half like Villa did……..

Edited by BroraBoy