Hindu - Muslim violence in UK

ICTChris

In the last few weeks there have been sporadic outbreaks of violence in a number of English cities between Hindus and Muslims.  From what we can tell, the violence began after a fight following an India v Pakistan cricket match.  Police in Leicester had to intervene when large groups of men clashed following India's victory.

Since then there has been outbreaks of large scale fighting in the city.  Houses have been targeted, as well as places of worship.  The Indian Consulate released a statement condemning vandalism of a Hindu temple in the city.  A large protest march held in a mainly Hindu area of Leicester also saw many observers accuse far-right Hindu groups of formenting trouble.

Yesterday, a large group of men congregated at a Hindu temple in Smethwick, West Midlands with reports of bottles being thrown at the building.

There are also reports of misinformation and false accusations spreading over social media and amplifying tensions in these areas.

It's ironic that Smethwick is affected by this - it was the location of one of the most infamously racist political campaigns in British history.

I also saw that Nigel Farage and GB News had begun weighing in about this, which will no doubt make an honest discussion about the issues here very difficult.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In the last few weeks there have been sporadic outbreaks of violence in a number of English cities between Hindus and Muslims.  From what we can tell, the violence began after a fight following an India v Pakistan cricket match.  Police in Leicester had to intervene when large groups of men clashed following India's victory.

Since then there has been outbreaks of large scale fighting in the city.  Houses have been targeted, as well as places of worship.  The Indian Consulate released a statement condemning vandalism of a Hindu temple in the city.  A large protest march held in a mainly Hindu area of Leicester also saw many observers accuse far-right Hindu groups of formenting trouble.

Yesterday, a large group of men congregated at a Hindu temple in Smethwick, West Midlands with reports of bottles being thrown at the building.

There are also reports of misinformation and false accusations spreading over social media and amplifying tensions in these areas.

It's ironic that Smethwick is affected by this - it was the location of one of the most infamously racist political campaigns in British history.

I also saw that Nigel Farage and GB News had begun weighing in about this, which will no doubt make an honest discussion about the issues here very difficult.

Can only be a matter of time before Farage namechecks Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech from 1968..............

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think it’s important to recognise that there are some downsides to the indigenous population of  immigration. Having more medieval superstitions around for people to argue about is one of them. Having downsides doesn't mean the whole phenomenon is a bad thing though. I'm sure that will be getting peddled by the usual suspects. 

I guess, because the participants have been described in the news as young men, that most of these guys are british or british born. So there's likely to be elements of "our" culture in here as well as the old muslim v hindu beef. 

I wonder how much this is influenced by increasing tensions within India with the UK's chum Modri turning a blind eye to attacks on Muslims. 

"In the last few weeks there have been sporadic outbreaks of violence in a number of English cities between Hindus and Muslims.  From what we can tell, the violence began after a fight following an India v Pakistan cricket match.  Police in Leicester had to intervene when large groups of men clashed following India's victory.

Since then there has been outbreaks of large scale fighting in the city.  Houses have been targeted, as well as places of worship."

Hindus v Muslims eh? Places of worship attacked, violence in towns...

"Christians" in Northern Ireland say "Hold my beer"...

20 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"In the last few weeks there have been sporadic outbreaks of violence in a number of English cities between Hindus and Muslims.  From what we can tell, the violence began after a fight following an India v Pakistan cricket match.  Police in Leicester had to intervene when large groups of men clashed following India's victory.

Since then there has been outbreaks of large scale fighting in the city.  Houses have been targeted, as well as places of worship."

Hindus v Muslims eh? Places of worship attacked, violence in towns...

"Christians" in Northern Ireland say "Hold my beer"...

Northern Ireland? We've got "Christian" problems much closer to home!

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I think it’s important to recognise that there are some downsides to the indigenous population of  immigration. Having more medieval superstitions around for people to argue about is one of them. Having downsides doesn't mean the whole phenomenon is a bad thing though. I'm sure that will be getting peddled by the usual suspects. 

I guess, because the participants have been described in the news as young men, that most of these guys are british or british born. So there's likely to be elements of "our" culture in here as well as the old muslim v hindu beef. 

I wonder how much this is influenced by increasing tensions within India with the UK's chum Modri turning a blind eye to attacks on Muslims. 

Absolutely.

Was in India a couple of years ago and I got the impression that the substantial Muslim minority are treated as second class citizens.

Modi does everything to propagate this stance.

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Spelling

Has the extreme element in Hindu side been a relatively new phenomenon in UK? while the extreme views in Islam has been around longer. Both minority views but clearly influencing young people on both sides now.  Was there not similar fighting between Sikhs and Muslims maybe 15-20 years ago?

Edited by BigDoddyKane

All organised religion is a nonsense a potential excuse for conflict with ‘non believers’ or adherents of a different sky fairy.

It’s worse when said adherents identify primarily as a religious group.

It’s fair to make comparison with NI so long as that’s not an excuse to give it a pass.

Oh, and cricket is shite.

Just the latest example of why mixing religion and politics is a stupid idea. 

There's nothing racist about what I've said; "we" have a Head of State who is also the head of a church and reserve places in our legislature for people whose only qualification is that they follow a particular sect of a centuries old foreign belief system. 

If someone suggested that we reserve places in the House of Lords for believers in alien spaceships buzzing farmers near Bathgate, or for the spokespeople of the "Fairies live at the bottom of my garden society", I'm reasonably confident that they'd be laughed into an asylum, but a Bishop of the Church of England... In ye come, yer Grace... 

Fekkin nonsense. 

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

I think it’s important to recognise that there are some downsides to the indigenous population of  immigration. Having more medieval superstitions around for people to argue about is one of them. 

Like the medieval superstition that someone was born to be head of state, that just shut down the indigenous country for a full day after 10 days of pre-prepared, North Korea style, state hagiography? 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Like the medieval superstition that someone was born to be head of state, that just shut down the indigenous country for a full day after 10 days of pre-prepared, North Korea style, state hagiography? 

Just like that. They're in charge of England's medieval superstition. 

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Oh, and cricket is shite.

This really can't be overstated. Get it banned.

No doubt we'll see a Conservative government threatening cricket fans with ID cards any time now.