Line up face Ukraine

Craigieboy86

28 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Gordon

Mctominay Mckenna Tierney

Paterson Mcgregor Gilmour Taylor

Fraser Mcginn

Adams

This is our best team, based on what we currently have, therefore this SHOULD be the team Clarke goes with. Close thread. 

I would pick

Gordon

McSauce    McKenna   Tierney

Patterson                                 Hickey

McGregor  McGinn

Christie                      Fraser

Adams

Gilmour isn't match fit. Meaning McGinn is easily the best option available for that role, which is the role he plays for his club. 

But many seem to think cause he sclaffed in a couple against the Faroes he's Zidane and must play attacking midfield.

Hickey is going to be a top player, no brainer over Taylor who will only ever be a squad player.

However I think Clarke will pick Taylor LWB, Jack instead of Gilmour and McGinn further forward with either Christie or Fraser missing out.

Would try to give Gilmour a run off the bench in all three games, also Hickey ideally featuring in all three too, even if off the bench.

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I would pick

Gordon

McGregor  McGinn

Adams

Gilmour isn't match fit. Meaning McGinn is easily the best option available for that role, which is the role he plays for his club. 

But many seem to think cause he sclaffed in a couple against the Faroes he's Zidane and must play attacking midfield.

Hickey is going to be a top player, no brainer over Taylor who will only ever be a squad player.

However I think Clarke will pick Taylor LWB, Jack instead of Gilmour and McGinn further forward with either Christie or Fraser missing out.

Would try to give Gilmour a run off the bench in all three games, also Hickey ideally featuring in all three too, even if off the bench.

I didn't think so Clarke put Christie and Fraser because they bench with Bournemouth and Newcastle 

Clarke will put striker start to Adam and Dykes than Attack midfielder Armstrong Than Taylor will replace Roberton 

Clarke line up team face Ukraine

Gordon

McTominay McKenna Tierney 

Patterson McGregor McGinn Taylor

Armstrong

Dykes Adam

16 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I would pick

Gordon

McGregor  McGinn

Adams

It will be interesting to see how much of an involvement Gilmour has over the 3 games. The more I think about it there's no way he can be anywhere near up to speed. Agree about Mcginn, he could easy fil that role beside McGregor. If I hadn't saw a couple of Celtic games recently I would assume Hickey would be the obvious choice but Taylor has impressed me and seems to have came on a lot under the Celtic manager. 

13 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

It will be interesting to see how much of an involvement Gilmour has over the 3 games. The more I think about it there's no way he can be anywhere near up to speed. Agree about Mcginn, he could easy fil that role beside McGregor. If I hadn't saw a couple of Celtic games recently I would assume Hickey would be the obvious choice but Taylor has impressed me and seems to have came on a lot under the Celtic manager. 

Clarke has played players before who haven’t been getting much game time for their clubs. Even when he started against England Gilmour hadn’t played much football.

I think he tends to go with whoever he thinks will be the best and strongest fit for our system, and he seems less bothered about match fitness. Maybe just accepts they won’t last a full game.

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

I don't think he starts any of them. It's months since he's played.

Taylor is playing well and the manager likes him so he'll probably get the nod but Hickey is obviously a better player, playing tremendously, and going to be a big player for us so I would be starting him.

McGinn obviously has a good goals record with Scotland (terrible in his club career interestingly for those that think he's a goal machine) but he is the best option in a deeper role just now. The physicality he brings is invaluable and gives us nice balance. He won't play there though.

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Read last night that Mykolenko and Kovalenko are both out now for Ukraine. Scotland really have to win this or it’s pretty unforgivable IMO.

We will try to win the game, but it's not unforgivable if we don't. I haven't seen confirmation that Mykolenko won't play a part tonight just news that he has a microtrauma and Kovalenko isn't a key player for Ukraine. Both teams have to be without key players (Hanley, Robertson, Zinchenko, Zabarnyi and possibly Mykolenko). Two good sides, fairly even and it isn't easy to predict the outcome.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

McGinn obviously has a good goals record with Scotland (terrible in his club career interestingly for those that think he's a goal machine) but he is the best option in a deeper role just now. The physicality he brings is invaluable and gives us nice balance. He won't play there though.

I wouldn't mind this, we saw it against Armenia. Wouldn't surprise me if we saw McGregor and McGinn in midfield with 2 from Armstrong, Fraser and Christie.

This is one of those camps where there are a lot of questions marks over team selection and setup. The starting team and shape doesn't matter too much so long as things can be juggled around a little if we need to test & adjust around what Ukraine are doing. That's the way I see it.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

We will try to win the game, but it's not unforgivable if we don't. I haven't seen confirmation that Mykolenko won't play a part tonight just news that he has a microtrauma and Kovalenko isn't a key player for Ukraine. Both teams have to be without key players (Hanley, Robertson, Zinchenko, Zabarnyi and possibly Mykolenko). Two good sides, fairly even and it isn't easy to predict the outcome.

If we don’t win today then we are going to need to beat them in Poland.

Must win tonight IMO. 

16 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Must win tonight IMO. 

Fair enough if that's how you want to look at it but remember back to the start of World Cup Qualifying and folk were writing us off after opening the campaign with two draws against Austria and Israel. If it's winner takes all against Ukraine in Warsaw I don't think that's a disaster. On the subject Steve Clarke said this and I don't disagree with that:

What I would like is to go to the last game against Ukraine in Poland with a realistic chance of topping the group. If we do that and give ourselves a chance to top the group, that would be a good outcome. Mathematically it’s not a certainty that we need to win them both but we certainly need to win one and not lose the other one. You can work out from that how many points we need.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9489308/steve-clarke-scotland-fans-queen-tribute-hampden-ukraine/

Just now, Donathan said:

Must win tonight IMO. 

Im terms of the group its obviously a must win game. In terms of clark and the team, it's just got to be a much improved performance. Another mauling at home and it could/should be the end of Clarke as manager.