The King of confectionery.

Derry Alli

On 21/09/2022 at 01:44, Mr. Alli said:

Harry Gows is a sorry, sorry excuse for a baker. Dreadfully overpriced and to be perfectly honest - shite.

I know folk from Inverness survive mainly on oats and neeps so any sweetness is a treat but those dream rings are shite. Squirty cream on a morning roll

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

What posessed you to try that? Were you drunk? Sleep deprived? Are you being serious? 

Serious! Total accident - I was eating the chocolate, there were slices of green apple on a plate. Oh ho, I thought. Try it, bet you love it.

I believe Ashens tried one of those Tayto chocolate bars laced with bits of crisp, and I've definitely heard them mentioned elsewhere.

The general consensus was that they're absolutely honking.

Edit: yep, here you go:

Edited by BFTD

9 minutes ago, Antlion said:

These were superb, back in that brief, glorious period of my childhood when Thornton’s seemed to have a big supermarket presence.

Nowadays, I don’t even know if there are still Thornton’s stores where you can buy the individual alpinis.

16D37F09-8BE2-4C8F-A939-A67ED1A47E58.jpeg

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about them. My gran used to take me in to town on Saturdays and pick me up a quarter of Alpini from the Thorntons counter in WH Smith.

I think The EU probably did away with Alpini back when they stopped us using imperial measures. They were always jealous of our chocolatiers.

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about them. My gran used to take me in to town on Saturdays and pick me up a quarter of Alpini from the Thorntons counter in WH Smith.

I think The EU probably did away with Alpini back when they stopped us using imperial measures. They were always jealous of our chocolatiers.

Any day now, I’m sure Scotland will enjoy  the Brexit bonus of their reintroduction; they really do know what’s best for us!