Stenhousemuir v Elgin City

To quote Swift in the pre game preview  “I think the big thing was getting them in on Saturday and continuing to work on the things that we wanted to work on and the boys have bought into it. I think it’s been a really good, productive week"

Thank Christ or we might have lost some silly goals today.

That was, by some distance, the most entertaining game I've been to so far this season. Some brilliant goals, some slapstick defending, end-to-end action at the death; this match had a little bit of everything. I think a point apiece was probably the fairest outcome but Stenhousemuir should feel disappointed by the calibre of goals they're conceding on a weekly basis. Two were direct errors and the other was shabbily defended - if this side have any aspirations of challenging Dumbarton at the top of the table, they must cut out these stupid mistakes; on the evidence of what we've seen so far this season, I won't hold my breath!

Elgin City's first and third goals were excellently taken - Kane Hester was tremendous this afternoon and turned in a five-star performance - but he was directly aided by two dreadful mistakes. Nicky Jamieson's poor start to the season continued when he failed to cushion a header back to his goalkeeper and let Hester in to finish, while Conor Brennan's shabby distribution and erratic decision-making played its part in the third. Brennan's always had a mistake in the post and it arrived today, booting the ball straight at Hester and then allowing himself to be lobbed. The second, scored by Russell Dingwall, was soft - the ball in from the right should have been cut out (Dan Higgins and Callum Yeats showed up badly here), Sean Crighton should have done better with Darryl McHardy at the back post, and someone should have been checking Dingwall as he loitered at the edge of the penalty box.

It's a shame to be complaining about the calibre of Stenhousemuir's defending because their first and second goals were superb. Mikey Miller capped an excellent team move with a wonderful finish, curling the ball around Daniel Hoban with his left foot on the stroke of half time and Adam Brown's goal was terrific, a great shot that was destined for the back of the net as soon at left his foot on the edge of the area. There might have been a bit of debate about Crighton's late equaliser and whether or not his header crossed the line but the Warriors deserved it for their endeavours, if nothing else.

The rest of the match was good fun, ebbing and flowing, and a "good advert for the division". Stenny were certainly better here than when the sides met in the Challenge Cup a couple of weeks ago, and we looked quality in spells, especially the opening 10 minutes, but we're a frustrating mob. We looked slow and static at points, Crighton was on the ball too much for my liking, and Stephen Swift took far too long to change things about. Euan O'Reilly should have been on the pitch far earlier than the 83rd minute. Who knows, we might see him against East Fife on Tuesday or Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic at the start of October.

It's been a funny first quarter so far!

Good watch, thought we played well despite the basic errors. Will take the point but should've been 3.

Some of the players just seem to drift off, there's a real lack of concentration at times. Brennan looks like he finds just concentrating difficult. Maybe he should tap his head like Fury to keep himself in the game😅.  Loves poor positioning and a bit of back spin.

Tam Orr came on and took a while to find his feet, didn't gamble enough with his runs. Needs to do more coming on from the bench. 

Ross Forbes, started well today, some nice diagonal floated passes and good footwork. Then just casually drifted into doing, nothing. 

Thought Wedderburn was influential. Kept possession well and showed some skills and strength. 

Miller and Brown's goals were a delight. Some fantasfic play and finishing on show.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights.

In isolation this should be seen as a good point away from home. However, yet again we can not hold on to a lead and it is becoming a real problem. We’ve taken the lead in so many games this season already only to be pegged back and it makes a huge difference to the league table. Had we held on a couple of times we would probably be 2nd and looking up - we are not and are still looking over our shoulder!

Was a game we almost contrived to lose which would have been a travesty and in the end we almost came away with what would have been a deserved win. I thought it was easily our best performance and could and should have been a four or five goal victory. The fact it wasn’t is quite telling (although Hester had a lot to do with it - he is an excellent player)

For us Adam Brown deservedly got MotM. In the middle, he is the only one capable of getting us on the front foot. I just wish we could O’Reilly into that starting line up. Still early but a team capable of winning the league would have coasted to victory today.

13 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That was, by some distance, the most entertaining game I've been to so far this season. Some brilliant goals, some slapstick defending, end-to-end action at the death; this match had a little bit of everything. I think a point apiece was probably the fairest outcome but Stenhousemuir should feel disappointed by the calibre of goals they're conceding on a weekly basis. Two were direct errors and the other was shabbily defended - if this side have any aspirations of challenging Dumbarton at the top of the table, they must cut out these stupid mistakes; on the evidence of what we've seen so far this season, I won't hold my breath!

Elgin City's first and third goals were excellently taken - Kane Hester was tremendous this afternoon and turned in a five-star performance - but he was directly aided by two dreadful mistakes. Nicky Jamieson's poor start to the season continued when he failed to cushion a header back to his goalkeeper and let Hester in to finish, while Conor Brennan's shabby distribution and erratic decision-making played its part in the third. Brennan's always had a mistake in the post and it arrived today, booting the ball straight at Hester and then allowing himself to be lobbed. The second, scored by Russell Dingwall, was soft - the ball in from the right should have been cut out (Dan Higgins and Callum Yeats showed up badly here), Sean Crighton should have done better with Darryl McHardy at the back post, and someone should have been checking Dingwall as he loitered at the edge of the penalty box.

Having watched back the match highlights this morning, I should correct my original post and portion only some, not all, of the blame for Elgin City's third goal to Conor Brennan. I thought he lumped the ball straight at Kane Hester but his clearance was headed into Hester's path, who finished well. Brennan's kicking should have been better and he could have been a little more decisive in how he reacted, but I think a lot of credit has to go to the striker.

Easily the best individual performance I've seen from a player so far this year!

Kane looks a class act and took his goals well.  As said it was an entertaining but frustrating match to watch. We gifted 2 of their goals which is disappointing, we seem to be unable to cut out the errors.  Forbes started well but quickly faded - still to see what Swift sees in him.  Orr, when he came on, seemed more intent in pushing the opposition rather than getting on with the game. O'Reilly brought on far too late to make an impact.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out if the shot that came back of the bar in the opening minutes had went in. Fair credit to the team for not lying down though. Let's see how the next 2 games go.

Just watched the highlights - well done Warriers TV, a decent package.

Not sure about the Stenny 3rd goal.  The assistant gave the goal, but looking at the footage there is no way he could see if it crossed the line; a post and the clearing defender blocking any view.  Did both the Ref and assistant have no doubt it had crossed?  I doubt that.

All in all looked a good game with a couple of cracking goals each.