Motherwell vs Hearts 18/9/22

3 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Yes he is your player and he's the reason you may finish 3rd.  Zander Clark is pap.  Come off it Motherwell hit the woodwork three times and were all over you.  Good win regardless though. 

They hit the woodwork 3 times when we were in front, 2 in the same incident.  Gordon is obviously top class and helps but we scored 3 and missed at least 2 other great chances.  They had a spell when they were well on top but it was when the game was well in our grip mostly.

23 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

They hit the woodwork 3 times when we were in front, 2 in the same incident.  Gordon is obviously top class and helps but we scored 3 and missed at least 2 other great chances.  They had a spell when they were well on top but it was when the game was well in our grip mostly.

I don't disagree. 

Well  (pardon the pun) in control of the game two up.  I was replying to the clutching of having more shots at goal than them despite them peppering your goal.  I actually thought it was a brilliant team performance from Hearts at a place you usually shite the bed on the back of travelling back from Riga.  Motherwell imo are a decent team too and will do alright this season. 

A lot of you boys seem to want to nit pick and try to have arguments with other posters, I was giving your team and Gordon praise.  ;) 

Edited by Hoose Rice

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I don't disagree. 

Well  (pardon the pun) in control of the game two up.  I was replying to the clutching of having more shots at goal than them despite them peppering your goal.  I actually thought it was a brilliant team performance from Hearts at a place you usually shite the bed on the back of travelling back from Riga.  Motherwell imo are a decent team too and will do alright this season. 

A lot of you boys seem to want to nit pick and try to have arguments with other posters, I was giving your team and Gordon praise.  ;) 

It's maybe just that you've been making the same 'point' about Gordon for as long as any c**t can remember, m8.

18 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I heard 'well fans booing Cochrane for alleged time wasting only for him to be subbed due to a back injury.

I also heard 'well fans booing Gordon for alleged time wasting - tv coverage clearly shows Gordon limping before he makes the save.

Tbf the booing of Cochrane was due to him starting to walk off and RN telling him to go down, he then proceeded to wander about for a few minutes before being ushered off. 

The Gordon stuff was unnecessary due to him quite evidently being injured.

This isn't a "pop" at all...more an observation, I don't think either Cochrane or Gordon would have been boo'd for going down if it wasn't for the 7 or 8 other times players went down to break up the game when there was nothing wrong with them.

Again, one of those things where you're fine with it if it's your team and not when it's the opposition so not having a go at all...but the booing was for the cumulation rather than the Cochrane or Gordon injuries.

Edited by Al B

Mentioned after the Utd game that Van Veen can have few excuses for not scoring due to lack of decent service, which was the case under Alexander, same again againts Hearts. Worrying it has happened again in two consecutive games and just exposes that he isn't anywhere near as good as we hoped and he seems to think that he is.

19 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Mentioned after the Utd game that Van Veen can have few excuses for not scoring due to lack of decent service, which was the case under Alexander, same again againts Hearts. Worrying it has happened again in two consecutive games and just exposes that he isn't anywhere near as good as we hoped and he seems to think that he is.

Did you think a laddie you'd signed at about 30 after a career kicking around the Dutch second tier and playing for Northampton was going to be some kind of secret Hugo Sanchez?

On 18/09/2022 at 20:30, 'WellDel said:

Just in from post match beers. Lamie would have been better served leaving the ball altogether at the first, and how McGinn contrives to miss from a yard out to get us back in it at 0-1 I don't know. McKinstry slack at the 2nd, and I was already in the pub before the 3rd so can't comment on that.

Definitely positives within the performance and luck was against us with the efforts off the post and bar, but a 3-0 defeat it is. We really need to develop a cutting edge to capitalise on our far more promising possession and play, which has been night and day since Hammell took over. Good stats win you nothing though,  we need to start converting chances.

Hearts will be comfortably 3rd again this season, but despite their investment I don't see anything to suggest that Aberdeen, Hibs or Utd have kicked on any from last season. A bit of fine tuning and there's no reason at all that we can't be up there challenging for 4th or 5th.

A sore one on the day no doubt, but not disheartened. 

Good posts from Well fans about the game - no doubt they'll feel (rightly) that they deserved more, but equally realising that a cutting edge is what counts. Louis Moult, if he stays fit, will definitely provide that, so I imagine they're in for a decent enough season.

For Hearts, it was great to see us finally being clinical up front - hopefully put paid to the silly comments last year from jealous Hibbies that we're just Craig Gordon plus 10 huddies :)

16 hours ago, CoF said:

Hearts players need to take a leaf out of oor Rolando Aarons book. Just stop playing (even though the ball is 2ft away), walk off the pitch and straight down the tunnel while the games is still going on. 

Aye, what was the story there? Had he signalled to Hammell he had to come off, or did he just decide for himself that he fancied a rest?

14 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I'm sure Hertz players will start doing this when everyone else does.

I think it used to be a booking offence to leave the pitch without the ref's permission - not sure if that's still the case.

Given that he'd already been booked - I was wondering that at the game....

19 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

That East Stand must be one of Scotland's angriest places, even when they're winning.

It is - it's fucking marvellous. 

Edited by Swello

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Did you think a laddie you'd signed at about 30 after a career kicking around the Dutch second tier and playing for Northampton was going to be some kind of secret Hugo Sanchez?

Nope, but that a striker of any age, from whatever background would be able to put away some of the sitteres he has missed in the last couple of games.

Really weird feeling coming away from that game. It's fairly common to feel like you should have won a game you've lost to a last minute goal, and also win a game by a single goal when you've been absolutely battered for 90 mins. It's a bit more unusual coming away from a 3-0 defeat where the losing fans are justifiably saying on another day we quite feasably win that 2 or 3 nil, and the winning fans are saying on another day we lose that by a couple. That exact game could have finished 3-0 either way and I don't think anyone would have argued.

I've never felt less annoyed and reasonably content by a 3-0 home defeat before....not really sure what to do. It's the "through the looking glass version" of Alexander's reign where I went home from wins debating whether I'd bother going back.

Weird auld gemme is fitba'!

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the point is more that KVV thinks he is.

I have, still, and always will think he's absolutely shite overall. He's the archetypal example of someone that's amazing at 5's but has not even the slightest clue how to play in a real game.

2 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

Aye, what was the story there? Had he signalled to Hammell he had to come off, or did he just decide for himself that he fancied a rest?

He stopped playing, Hammell gave the “what the f**k?” hand signals and he pointed to his groin before strolling off. To be fair, Hammell seemed to accept it and immediately started preparing for the substitution. 

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Really weird feeling coming away from that game. It's fairly common to feel like you should have won a game you've lost to a last minute goal, and also win a game by a single goal when you've been absolutely battered for 90 mins. It's a bit more unusual coming away from a 3-0 defeat where the losing fans are justifiably saying on another day we quite feasably win that 2 or 3 nil, and the winning fans are saying on another day we lose that by a couple. That exact game could have finished 3-0 either way and I don't think anyone would have argued.

I've never felt less annoyed and reasonably content by a 3-0 home defeat before....not really sure what to do. It's the "through the looking glass version" of Alexander's reign where I went home from wins debating whether I'd bother going back.

Weird auld gemme is fitba'!

Aye, who’s summary. At two down, the team were showing enough even at 80 minutes that we could get something from the game. The momentum was all ours for a long spell and a goal could’ve made things very interesting. The third killed it though. 

I think there’s also a recognition that Hammell inherited a mess, hasn’t had a preseason, players confidence probably shattered. We can all see the effort from the players and we can see exactly what Hammell is trying to do and it looks great. As a work in progress I’m more than happy. 

22 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Yes he is your player and he's the reason you may finish 3rd.  Zander Clark is pap.  Come off it Motherwell hit the woodwork three times and were all over you.  Good win regardless though.

Hit the woodwork three times... Doesn't really matter who the net tender is if you can't get the baw on target, m8. Taught a lesson in clinical football and how to carve out real quality goals despite playing in Europe a few days before.

Clark has been a solid keeper for St Johnstone who have regularly performed well in the Premiership throughout his career. A more than good enough deputy to Scotland's number one.

18 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I don't disagree.

A lot of you boys seem to want to nit pick and try to have arguments with other posters, I was giving your team and Gordon praise. ;)

Clearly, they peppered our goal fewer times than we peppered theirs, given they had fewer shots on target. 🥴