Motherwell vs Hearts 18/9/22

20 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Shree!

We've rode our luck today.

However, a ride's a ride. 

14 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

26 shots, both posts, crossbar, Gordon worldie, dubious disallowed goal. Class. 

There’s been enough days when Hearts fans were left feeling like that

its hard not have some sympathy 

I think we missed Slattery. Dean was definitely an upgrade on Maguire when he came on.

Apparently Tierney’s shot in the first few minutes hit the outside of the post, so we hit the post 3 times, the bar once, had a marginal offside goal and Gordon made a couple of wonder saves. On another day we could have scored 3 ourselves.

We are playing much better football but the first and third goals were honking defensively from us. Lamie’s header falls right for the striker for the first and McKinstry loses his man for the third.

I’d still rather lose 3-0 playing like that than Alexanderball or Robinsonball.

Absolutely no complaints about that result - it was a bit of a lesson in making good decisions in the box really. The number of chances that we've created over the last 2 games (including a penalty) - it's not bad luck that we've got nothing to show for them. 

In saying that, I still enjoyed a lot about our play - we missed slattery and I thought Hearts had a plan to handle Tierney which they did well compared to Utd a couple of weeks back. 

The first goal was a (these days, rare) mistake from Lamie and Hearts then did exactly what we did to them in the corresponding game last year - slowed it down, frustrated us as much as possible and didn't offer too much going forward.

Sad that Moult's goal didn't count - but the fact that he was actually in the right place was encouraging. 

When we last played Hearts at Fir Park, my enthusiasm for football was at the levels Tierney showed in his applause for the Queen - but now I'm enjoying it again and not really that down after the game today.

Edited by Swello

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Hope Gordon & Cochrane aren't badly injured, Gordon would be a disaster. Despite winning 3-0 the usual Neilson tactic of parking the bus and making defensive subs at 2-0 is frustrating and just invites pressure.

I'd usually agree, but it's usually one goal in it. Plus it sounded like the players were burst.

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Our second and third goals, btw.

That's why we'll finish third again.

Maybe. You won't if your players continue to show that attitude though. I thought that Hearts never needed to play out of 2nd gear. Granted your lads were tired after after a Baltic expedition, but if you'd cut out the time wasting and theatrics and gone for it it could have been really embarassing for us.

Defending for the goals from us was really poor. Never mind Lamie heading the ball to Shankland, Sol isn’t even close to picking Shankland up so there’s more blame apportioned to him then Lamie for me. 

The second and third are both well worked from Hearts point of view but McKinstry loses his man in the build up to both. 

Absolutely no idea how that ended up 3-0, bizarrely deserved it for taking our chances but also couldn't really have complained if it was 1-0 Motherwell if it was one of those days. Unlike us to be so clinical but shows the difference that our signings have made in Shankland and Forrest.

Massive win for us going in to the international break.

Edited by GorgieRoad

Just in from post match beers. Lamie would have been better served leaving the ball altogether at the first, and how McGinn contrives to miss from a yard out to get us back in it at 0-1 I don't know. McKinstry slack at the 2nd, and I was already in the pub before the 3rd so can't comment on that.

Definitely positives within the performance and luck was against us with the efforts off the post and bar, but a 3-0 defeat it is. We really need to develop a cutting edge to capitalise on our far more promising possession and play, which has been night and day since Hammell took over. Good stats win you nothing though,  we need to start converting chances.

Hearts will be comfortably 3rd again this season, but despite their investment I don't see anything to suggest that Aberdeen, Hibs or Utd have kicked on any from last season. A bit of fine tuning and there's no reason at all that we can't be up there challenging for 4th or 5th.

A sore one on the day no doubt, but not disheartened. 

Motherwell can feel a bit hard done by after that, but taking chances is part of the game. We were clinical and they weren't. We also had other chances as well.

That onslaught was worrying after our 2nd though, but we were clearly sitting deeper on purpose so I'd like to think we'd have changed our tactics if Motherwell had pulled one back, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Hope the injuries aren't bad, could do with some luck on that front.